Costco Thread 2020

My family always made eggnog at home I don’t think it’s the same thing.

alcoholic and non-alcoholic

The one I’m talking about is this; I use it mainly on pizza, occasionally on sandwiches, and on really really lazy nights, on crackers with cheese. Usually has both spicy and regular varieties.

(No desperate urge for it; like many Costco products, over the years it’s been mostly there, occasionally not. But every time it’s “not” there’s a mild fear it will never be seen again.)

I’ve been aware of pecans, raw or otherwise, for many years now.

No raw pecans being available, is disturbing? Like an Alfred Hitchcock movie? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Am I correct in thinking that Costco is best avoided this week because of the Black Friday nonsense?

1 Like

I’m sure you are!

Yes!

No. Let me explain it this way. I want them. I can’t get them. This disturbs me. Hence, it is disturbing.

2 Likes

The Kirkland Rioja es bueno. I hope they have more.

Does anyone ever see baby spinach at costco?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it at the Guandu Branch. They’ve got mixed salad greens almost all the time, and for a few months earlier in the year they had kale - those are the only “slightly harder to find” greens I’ve noticed there.

For what it’s worth, a few years back baby spinach kept showing up in different supermarkets for a while, then disappearing, then reappearing from a different brand or distributor - but it never stuck around for long, either on the shelves, or at home. When I bought it, I found it often went off really quickly, perhaps due to however it was being transported.

They usually have a big plastic box of baby greens which are quite delicious. Have to be on a mission to eat them all before they expire, but one box is probably the price of one good salad in Taipei.

1 Like

Yeah, I almost never finish them before that time comes, but it’s still usually worth it; I’ll get main or side salads for almost a week out of a box. The only real hassle is if I forget too long and then what’s left becomes a stinky slimy mess to clean up. (It was a lot easier finishing the box back before TCM convinced my wife that salads are “cold” foods and therefore something she should avoid!)

Re: baby spinach: it depends what you want the baby spinach for. If it’s a salad bed, those baby greens work great; but if it’s to stir into another dish and wilt the spinach a bit, the baby greens won’t work so well.

Is this kept in the fridge section of costco? Do you have a picture of what it looks like so I know what i’m looking for next time I go.

If you mean the cold room section, yes; there’s the really cold room for dairy, and the slightly cold room for produce. The baby salad greens are in there. I can’t find a picture. In the Guandu Costco they’re almost always in the back right corner, but other branches, who knows. It’s not Costco brand. I think I’ve seen the same product for sale in Carrefour, in a smaller size, but I’ve never bought Carrefour’s because I don’t trust their cold chain (see the previous baby spinach issues above!).

Check the expiration date on the box to get the freshest boxes.

Apparently, this week is Black Friday at The Big C. Rumour has it there are 60% discounts on tons of stuff. We are heading out there this arvo. Will report back later.

1 Like

There may be other reports incoming!

1 Like

Famous last words… :open_mouth:

1 Like

They are just overrated walnuts. If not roasted all nuts are raw.

A similar product we call ‘Advocaat’ in Belgium and the Netherlands, in Germany they call Eierlikör.

Nothing to report. Some Winter clothing and some electronics. No staples on sale.

2 Likes

Costco Guandu just now

1 Like

Blasphemy! They are totally different!

Beitou was crowded but not weekend insane around 3.

3 Likes