Costco Thread 2021

Has anyone seen the refrigerated nonalcoholic eggnog in a carton at Costco yet this year?

That’s odd–they should work at any Costco. I’ve used my Taiwan card in Puerto Rico without issue. Since then they now accept any Visa card in the US.

1 Like

This was some years back.

Costco seems to be back now. Lots of cool new stuff this weekend and old favorites were all there. Had a ton of wine samples out today too. Got nine bottles of wine and some eggnog. Still no Kirkland Signature Chianti Classico Riserva though at the locations I’ve been to recently.

Such as…?

1 Like

Did you see if they have panettone?

Didn’t see it, but I didn’t know what it was until I looked it up.

Expensive Italian Christmas bread. (candied fruits and orange peel) The good one you put amaretto in.

2 Likes

The European Christmas market by 101 had it over the weekend. I think there’s another market next weekend at Yuanshan, maybe check that out?

2 Likes

I will, thanks!

I saw they are selling whole legs of jamón serrano (lowest grade of Spanish cured ham) for “just” 6399NT. You can buy a similar piece in Spain for under 70€ (2200NT). They keep it refrigerated, which is an abomination.

1 Like

What was of note to my own shopping list at the Guandu Costco today:

• Only blocks of cheese are haloumi, or Parmesan / Grano Padano and its ilk. Many, many kinds of cheese slices, which aren’t what I want, because they don’t last long enough and I’ve tried several ways of freezing them, none of which worked. This is annoying.
  • None of the old sliced ham, but there’s a new-to-me brand, “True Story”. This is reassuring.
  • None of the Glenfarclas 18 that @marasan recommended over in the whiskey thread. This is disappointing, and also has me wondering if even with Costco I now need to do Greater-Taipei-area searches to find what I seek.
  • Bottled Kirkland eggnog with whiskey and rum. I did a bit of googling in the store and apparently with alcohol it can last for weeks or months in the fridge even after opening, so I got a bottle. This is dangerous.
  • I saw no nonalcoholic eggnog in the dairy Arctic section. Would it show up anywhere else?
  • Australian leeks. I think that’s the first time I’ve seen leeks sold as leeks here, although I’ve been told there’s a local vegetable that’s mostly the same.
  • Baby spinach, which is usually hard to find in Taipei, so that was good.
  • No canned diced tomatoes, just the stewed kind.
  • The torta rolls that they had for a few years continue to be absent.
  • Kirkland thin-sliced bacon remains, but not the thicker stuff (that disappeared a few years ago now).
  • Portobello mushrooms remain, but the usual smaller kind that show up here - marginally bigger than shiitakes - which you nominally could stuff but I usually break them and they wind up precariously piled rather than stuffed.
  • Those giant packs of French rolls remain. They look like a great idea. But no refrigeration required? And good until February? Really?
1 Like

The big cans of tomato are only sold in Xizhi store…

I thought they would last a long time in the fridge, and then they turned into a science experiment…

I have bought canned diced tomatoes many times in Guandu. Always in normal cans. I don’t think a regular consumer has much use for the giant cans.

The giant can has the best value even if most can’t make use of all of it. But tomatoes are too expensive here. I was really looking for tomato paste which they don’t have (they are very useful as they can be watered down for regular sauce).

I think those bottles go fast. They have the same 5-6 whiskies at the Costco where I shop. I like two of them. And so when there’s something new (around the holidays- both local and western), I jump on it if it’s halfway decent. The Glenfarclas 18 was definitely a good buy. I’m waiting for the Kirkland 20 year.

2 Likes

Carrefour has tomato paste.

1 Like

Par baked and under nitrogen atmosphere keeps a while.

1 Like

Open, divide in portions and freeze.

That is what I should have done…