Costco Thread 2021

Costco launched audiobook store and apps

https://goodereader.com/blog/audiobooks/costco-launches-new-audiobook-store-and-ios-app

1 Like

Probably key info for those of us in Taiwan, from the piece:

In order to buy audiobooks from Costco, you need a membership card and live in the United States, as the store has not yet launched in Canada.

1 Like

They’re also just about the only place that still has pickle relish for their hot dogs.

1 Like

You can but they charge for delivery in store. When I order online it’s free shipping.

Just order online :slight_smile:

Just about everything I see line is more expensive than the in store price. So the “free shipping” isn’t really free. Just built into the online price.

1 Like

Didn’t have that experience. Which specific things are you talking about? Would be useful to see how much of a markup it is.

The spinach that was posted earlier in this thread is marked up 100 ntd for 2 boxes. Things like granola bars are marked up 60. Frozen broccoli are marked up 65.

Did Costco run out of US potatoes?

Well, I would but it is not available.

There are other brands though, more expensive yes, but with the advantage I do not have to haul them. And at my age, that is the good part. :grandpa:

But what’s the full cost? With CC we earn Costco “gold dollars” for every $ spent, which goes to pay your membership fee. That fee has to be paid in any case even if you shop only with cash.

Hence it may work out to be the same overall, but with more convenience done online. Secondly if you don’t own a car factor in the cost of taxi, one-way minimum for decent amount of purchase. That’s atleast $100-200.

Heavy stuff like cat litter, I like it delivered directly to my place.

I haven’t seen Russets in awhile.

No need to justify to me why you do what you do. I was simply stating that online is more expensive, and that statement still stands. Personally, with the volume of stuff I buy, I come out way ahead by several thousand NTD a year even subtracting the cost I pay for a taxi each trip.
And I also use their credit card when i’m in the store too so not losing anything in that aspect by shopping in the store.

That’s a problem. Wonder if it’s linked to global sea freight shipping woes at the moment. few containers, less vessels.

What? Mine had only creamy. Pissed me off.

Don’t get one for sous vide

Yeah, it’s not free shipping. They just charge more for everything to cover the shipping cost.

Already bought it, and it has that function, which seemed to work pretty well (only used it once so far).

I found the temperature range fluctuates quite a bit. A dedicated machine with circulation works much better. Their dedicated immersion circulator isn’t even accurate unfortunately.

You may well be right. I’d been thinking of buying a dedicated circulator thing before seeing the Instant Pot, but having everything in one device was too tempting even at the expense of precision (my kitchen is pretty small).

I only checked the water temperature once, and it came out at 63-64°C when it should have been 60°C. I have some separate thermometers so might check properly when I can be bothered.

Do you have any recommendations for cheapish circulators? I saw a few on Shopee, but don’t really want to spend 4-6k on one for slightly better temperature accuracy.