Covid-19 Research Thread

That would be awesome for Taiwan to have that breakthrough. The only things I’ve been hearing is developing new test kits (woohoo!) and synthesizing (not developing, synthesizing) treatment drugs like Remesdivir.

1 Like

Putin just announced he and his daughter got the shot.

More volunteers

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-08-11/philippines-duterte-accepts-russia-s-covid-19-vaccine-offer?__twitter_impression=true

Taiwan also making strides

3 Likes

This gives a good summary on vaccine developments .

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2020/aug/11/covid-vaccine-tracker-when-will-we-have-a-coronavirus-vaccine

Not only this guy has suspicions,one of the leaders in vaccine develooment in Flinders uni in Australia also has strong suspicions about the origins.

But they say it’s impossible, at this point, to rule out the hypothesis that is was created in a cell-culture experiment in a lab.

“> What we are saying is that this virus looks for all the world like a virus designed specifically for humans – the only question is did this happen by chance, or intent,” Prof Petrovsky told Yahoo News Australia.

“Of course, we cannot say which but neither possibility can be excluded.”

It could well have emerged from deliberate gain of function experiments or by accidentally contaminating and then recombination occurring between animal and human coronavirus in human cell culture research samples over time.

This one I like because it says who and from where

Too rushed for my taste.

2 Likes

Approved: 1

The Russian vaccine!

1 Like

Apparently your infected cells would grow testicles to reach for other cells to infect

Wait :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting that none of these listed the Russian vaccine. It’s quite the experiment they are conducting.

2 Likes

And they tested it on 38 people! And it got a Russian patent. It consist of two compounds to be administered, one’s probably vodka, the other one borscht.

3 Likes

But apparently Latin America is placing it’s hopes in it, all over the news there, rumors of meetings with Russian officials… Lovely. Chinese on one side, Russians in the other.

Philippines is the same. They are desperate for any kind of hail Mary.

When the vaccine arrives, I will inject it publicly. Experiment with me, that’s fine. If it works on me, it will work on everyone," the Philippines leader said in a televised speech late on Monday.

Brains to burn that guy.

Is there a low BGG vaccination in Taiwan?

“Philippines to Join Human Trials for Russian Virus Vaccine (2 p.m. HK)
The Philippines will join the final phase of clinical trials for Russia’s coronavirus vaccine starting in October, presidential spokesman Harry Roque said Thursday.
A panel of Philippine experts will review the results of Russia’s initial findings on the vaccine developed by Moscow’s Gamaleya Institute before large-scale human trials are started, Roque said. Russia will fund the phase 3 clinical trial in the Philippines, he said.
The Russian vaccine is likely to win approval from the Philippines’ Food and Drug Administration by next April, and President Rodrigo Duterte is willing to be inoculated as early as May, Roque said.”

Which is weird as Russia already states it’s approved and patented. If they need to wait that long they’d probably be better off waiting for another vaccine.

In the “it can get more awful” department, seems the coronavirus remains able to infect people up to a range of 5 meters from the infected/sick person:

It takes balls to infect over 20 million people.

1 Like

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(20)31008-4?rss=yes

Robust T cell immunity in convalescent individuals with asymptomatic or mild COVID-19

Our collective dataset shows that SARS-CoV-2 elicits robust, broad and highly functional memory T cell responses, suggesting that natural exposure or infection may prevent recurrent episodes of severe COVID-19.

The study looked at blood from 206 people in Sweden who had been exposed to COVID-19 in varying degrees of severity.
Regardless of a person’s exposure, they developed a “robust” T cell response, according to the study. And even those who tested negative to antibodies developed memory T cells, the study found.

2 Likes

Could it be a “side effect” of the treatment?

i.e. an actual effect of the treatment.

1 Like

‘em SARS-COV-2 tentacles now comin’ for our testicles for reals

2 Likes

Should help governments with persuading at least men to wear masks.

3 Likes

https://elemental.medium.com/a-supercomputer-analyzed-covid-19-and-an-interesting-new-theory-has-emerged-31cb8eba9d63
And Covid-19 has another especially insidious trick. Through another pathway, the team’s data shows, it increases production of hyaluronic acid (HLA) in the lungs. HLA is often used in soaps and lotions for its ability to absorb more than 1,000 times its weight in fluid. When it combines with fluid leaking into the lungs, the results are disastrous: It forms a hydrogel, which can fill the lungs in some patients. According to Jacobson, once this happens, “it’s like trying to breathe through Jell-O.”

1 Like