😷 COVID - Canada | Canada Opens Tourism to Travellers - Vaccine Reqs. to End

Hard work, healthy food and active outdoor lifestyles lol.

Aka, none. At least none for covid. We wont be for probably at least another year or so either, when things seems better understood, we are all in.

1 Like

At this point, if she doesn’t hold the maple leaf card and you aren’t vaxxed, she won’t be let in, and you will need to quarantine.

If you guys are willing to quarantine, ask the CTOT for info on your wife.

Secondly, you will not be allowed to take ANY aeroplane from Canada, within or outside Canada without being double vaxxed.

Regardless of the debate on vaccines. This is not my opinion, it’s just what’s going on. If you expect to touch Canada anytime soon, be prepared to be double vaxxed. Even I am a bit sceptical over one size fits all regulation, but I know you and I will need to be double vaxxed to get out of Canada.

2 Likes

Every time I check for the actual policy, it’s not there. So all we have is a press release (not binding) and general online information (not binding). Plus they postponed the scheme by a month already.

We’ll see.

Oh and as currently explained (though like I said it’s not binding), you can transit in designated airports as long as you don’t stay overnight (except YYZ) and don’t leave the airport, so if you’re really desperate and qualify for entry into a neighboring country by land or water, you can do that just for the sake of flying back to Canada and flying out again. :wall:

Oh yeah, plus “emergency” exceptions, whatever those are. :cactus:

Double vaxxed plus 14 days. Currently AZ, Moderna, and BNT are acceptable vaccines.

If a Canadian citizen (like you) shows up unvaccinated, you’ll need to do 14 days quarantine. Without vaccination, you won’t be able to board trains as well as planes, including the one taking you back to Taiwan. You will also run into issues getting into restaurants, pubs, etc.

Guy

You do realize you can do those things AND get vaxxed right?

It’s not an either/or situation.

Guy

WAY off topic, but last time I looked into this, I thought a spouse wouldn’t be able to get PR status unless we actually lived in Canada for a while. We looked into this (over a decade ago!), and couldn’t find a way to give my (Taiwanese) wife any legal status in Canada unless we were also willing to move to Canada.

But we may have been wrong then, or things may have changed.

Yes, obviously. But trying to avoid this turning into a conversation on the vaccines there are other threads for that. As mentioned, we will be waiting roughly another year before likely getting vaccinated.

This w smy impression as well. And one needed to maintain residency status there, so living here and going back every few years seemed unlikely to be ok. But could also be remembering wrong.

1 Like

You can apply for permanent residency while in Taiwan. We did that and stayed in Taiwan until the PR was approved. We actually ended up staying a year longer because of COVID-19 so we needed to get the PR re-approved.

Once approved, they send you a letter saying you have approval for permanent residency. You just take that letter to customs when you arrive in Canada, they stamp it and then mail you a PR card to a Canadian address (you need to have an address where they can send the card–we used my mother’s address).

If you want to become a citizen, then you need to have lived in Canada for 5 years (I think).

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. But is that possible when we don’t have any plans to move to Canada? I’d like for my wife to have status there if we decide or need to move in a hurry, but can we apply for something like that, get the letter, and then have it sit in a cabinet for two to twenty years before actually using it, if ever?

You actually have to have a plan for moving to Canada. The approval letter is actually only good for a year, so you need to get to Canada before the approval letter expires.

Once you have the PR card, you can leave again but you need to stay in Canada for at least two years out of every five (or something like that). The two years don’t need to be continuous.

" How long must I stay in Canada to keep my permanent resident status?

To keep your permanent resident status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days don’t need to be continuous. Some of your time abroad may count towards the 730 days."
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=727&top=10

2 Likes

OK, thanks. So it seems things haven’t changed significantly in the decade since I last looked into this.

(This is one of those things we almost never think about, but every few years China gets … noisy … and I start to wonder about options for leaving in a hurry.)

1 Like

Ya, it seems more or less the same, PR isnt really possible if living in taiwan. Although that is logical as permanent residency should be based off of, well, residency haha. I think we all agree that is logical and fair. Here its gotta be half the year here. I find that also fair, though at least canada ha been reasonable road to citizenship unlike taiwan. But i digress…

Lets swing back to entering canada without a vaccine currently, PR becomes a non possibility for non PR immediate family members of canadian citizens it would seem. Is that right? So spouses are still locked out. I wonder how it works in said situation if the spouse is the mother/father of the canadian citizens child and are travelling together?

I think this question has been answered comprehensively for you.

Of course Canadian policy may change. But who knows how?

Guy

Spouses of citizens/PRs not fully vaccinated should be able to enter Canada but would need to do quarantine:
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/answers/foreign-family-cit-pr

Isn’t this the actual policy?
https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=41231&lang=en

Right. She still needs at least a visa of some sort to allow her entry.

If you want to be let in as a tourist, you need the vax.

That Order in Council says it “ceases to have effect at 12:01:00 a.m. Eastern Standard Time on November 21, 2021.”

So perhaps that’s not the relevant one pertaining to vaccination and entry into Canada?

Guy

1 Like

I looked up the reqs. You need a PCR test. They won’t accept a Rapid Antigen test.

So I got mine yesterday.

Of interest to forumosans in Canada, or visiting Canada: the US land border will finally reopen for nonessential travel after being closed for around 20 months. This is a big deal! Double vaccination (or in the case of J&J recipients, single vaccination) required to enter the US in this way. Under 18s are apparently exempt.

Guy

2 Likes

Except you need a PCR test. And PCR tests are expensive in Canada like they are in Taiwan.

So, that quickie over the border is still C$200.

1 Like