Covington Catholic High School incident

3 Likes

Wow. Iā€™ve been waiting a long, long time to read these words from someone in the Democrat media. Itā€™s about time.

I am prompted to issue my own ethics reminders for The New York Times . Here they are: You were partly responsible for the election of Trump because you are the most influential newspaper in the country, and you are not fair or impartial. Millions of Americans believe you hate them and that you will casually harm them. Two years ago, they fought back against you, and they won. If Trump wins again, you will once again have played a small but important role in that victory.

4 Likes

Coming from The Atlantic, thatā€™s gonna hit hard.

2 Likes

Reading this sort of thing right after the media debacle with the Covington kids is cathartic:

Go woke. Go broke.
Layoffs at Huffington Post

1 Like

So if I want to work for HuffPo, I need to tell them Iā€™m non-binary? Fine, Iā€™m non-binary.

They got rid of that god awful opinion section. What a day.

So, just to repeat what I said earlierā€¦ I get that it should not have become a national story and private citizens, especially minors, should be aloud to live their lives, butā€¦ this was a school trip and church event and the student behavior was really beyond the pale. And most every Catholic leader is going to keep saying thisā€¦ https://amp.kentucky.com/opinion/op-ed/article224984305.html

Bp.Stowe is an outlier. Read up on him.

Moreover, Bishop Stoweā€™s also failed to mention the many pro-life gains under Trump, such as the reinstatement and expansion of the Mexico City Policy (now called Protecting Life in Global Health Assistance) banning U.S. tax dollars from funding and promoting abortion overseas; defunding the United Nations Population Fund over its participation in Chinaā€™s forced abortion regime; signing a law letting states defund abortion providers; appointing a record number of federal judges; protecting religious liberty and siding with Catholic groups that donā€™t want to be forced to fund abortion and contraception; disqualifying abortion facilities from family planning subsidies; and championing a ban on abortions at 20 weeks, at which point preborn babies.

His commentary also neglects the fact that Trump and members of his administration have played key roles in the March for Life since the Republican took office. In 2017, Vice President Mike Pence became the first sitting vice president to address the March for Life. White House advisor Kellyanne Conway also spoke at that March.

In 2018, President Trump spoke with March for Life attendees via a live video stream. This year, a message from Trump was also played at the March for Life, and Pence spoke live from the eventā€™s stage again. Pence was the keynote speaker at the March for Lifeā€™s Rose Dinner later that night.

So, heā€™s barking up the wrong tree if he wants to go after Trump and his immigrant policy when talking about the Covington incident, yet neglect Trumpā€™s actions noted above that relate to what the boys were there for. He and Fr. Martin are one and the same.

Sorry, but nice try on that one.

1 Like
2 Likes

Screenshot_20190126-130909-01

4 Likes

Why do you continue to struggle keeping your side together duck tapping sloppy ideas and arguments. Just admit the truth. It will set you free and join us.

I guess that these words explain many things, and I do not mean to be partisan.
Just the way things seem to have been for a few thousand years,

Standing there smiling while a creepy adult harasses you? Yes, beyond the pale. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Iā€™m still wondering what theyā€™re doing that the Catholic Church would be against.

I donā€™t get it. :thinking:

If Sandmannā€™s behavior was ā€œreally beyond the paleā€ then it should be a national story, right? A high school youth who behaves in that way (really beyond the pale) is definitely newsworthy, right?

I think what you mean is that his behavior was not beyond the pale, that his behavior was not newsworthy and therefore - outside some yt viewers who may have seen some videos - nobody should be aware of his existence. This should not be a news event, in other words.

Not singling you out, I donā€™t think your reaction is uncommon (unfortunately). Most people who agree with you - if theyā€™ve seen the hour-fifty video in its entirety - just canā€™t seem to admit theyā€™re wrong. Theyā€™ve just become invested.

3 Likes

I think @teach was referring to the students collectively. Clearly no reasonable person would describe Sandmann standing still and smiling as ā€œbeyond the paleā€.

I disagree with @teach that the behaviour of the 16 year olds as a group was ā€œbeyond the paleā€. They behaved very well, IMO, given their age and the situation that was forced on to them by adults who should have known better.

Perhaps @teach could provide some specific examples of where the students were beyond the pale? That would make the discussion clearer.

2 Likes

Mate. Give it a rest. Youā€™re wrong. If that old man came up in my face like that without provocation, he would have left with zero teeth left in his mouth. This old man was looking for a soft target to harass. If he wanted to diffuse some situation as he has repeatedly said, then he should have pushed his way through the crowd to the black, foul-mouthed, self-proclaimed Black Hebrew Israelites, walked up into their faces and started drumming and chanting. How would that have turned out? Do you think those black thugs would have allowed that? Stood there without reaction beyond smiling? It would have been a huge dust-up! The old man is a coward who went for the easy non-threatening target, minor kids and he did so for the simple fact that they were white and wearing red Make America Great Again caps.

He said that he wanted to diffuse the situation, then the right thing would have been to confront those blacks causing all the ruckus. But, then he would have received a massive beat down!

Anymore these days, it feels like itā€™s starting to become a crime simply being a white, male who supports Trump! Apparently, if you arenā€™t a member of the LGBTQIA or any of the newest alphabet soup designations of humanity or person of color, you ainā€™t shit!

And frankly, Iā€™m getting sick of it.

9 Likes

That expression is kindaā€¦ I dunnoā€¦ racist in its implications. Or maybe just elitist.

Only savages live beyond the Pale. But nothing is beyond the paleface.

The hypocrisy. Lies and no leniency for innocent boys. But wants leniency for ISIS members.