Do second hand clothing stores exist?

Indeed. I got some really nice jackets there and at the European Fair.

You can also try the Circle Market in Tianmu. Right kitty corner from the American school, on Zhongshan and Tianmu road intersection. Weekends with good weather, big outdoor market, peopke sell clothes, stuff, food.

The place in Xindian carries all kinds of winter stuff, even snow/ski pants. The waterproof ones.

That said, I am under doctors`orders not to wear jeans in winter. Too heavy clothes that trap moisture are not good for the skin.

Jeans are one of the first things I decided to give up after moving to Taiwan. A dry crotch is a happy crotch. :grin:

3 Likes

What are you guys doing in your jeans?!?

On second though, I don’t want to know. : P

Guy

I’ve been doing it wrong :thinking: :confused:

Maybe it’s time to try a “dry rub.” :grin:

I just skimmed this so sorry if anyone mentioned it, but the flea markets often have clothes, usually in fair condition. The Fuhe market has some random things if you get there early, like before noon. The Yongchun 2nd hand market on Songshan Rd. north of Yongchun Station focuses more on clothes, mainly ladies, but there’s also some men’s clothes. There’s an alterer on the first floor for pants, but you might have to wait.

Today there is the spring fair at the American school. There might be stuff there.

Also Carrusel us having a clothes swap event in Taipei.

Capture%20_2019-04-20-10-09-47

From Taipei Times:

TAS club holds flea market

The Taipei American School (TAS) Orphanage Club is to host its semi-annual flea market on Saturday from 10am to 3pm in the school’s cafeteria and the hallway to the cafeteria. People will be selling jewelry, antiques, books, clothing, toys, games and many other interesting items. There will also be vendors offering Indian and Chinese food, as well as Krispy Kreme donuts and Lutetia Cafe croissants and cookies. There is no admission fee and all proceeds are to benefit needy children and orphans in Taiwan and overseas, which the club has been helping for nearly 50 years. TAS is located at 800 Zhongshan N Road Sec 6 in Tianmu (天母).

Are there any second hand clothing stores that buy/sell expensive items?

My gf has a Giorgio Armani dress she wants to sell with the price tag and certificate of authentication all still intact and attached to the zipper of the dress. It’s never been worn.

I would sell it on formosified or various buy sell trade Facebook groups. I have not seen any second hand stores that offers clothing, at least not for men.

I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about.

But yes, there are second-hand clothing stores. Look in and near hospitals.

You can try RECOVER名品二手. Seems they have stuff also on yahoo bid with photos.

I’d certainly get a quote from them but many times if you are willing to put in the ‘sweat’ you can sell it yourself on Ebay or a USA fashion forum and put in ‘free shipping’ and get much more value. These stores make money doing 30 cents on the dollar.

Not sure if I’ve already mentioned this but a lot of people use Carousell. It’s a reselling app. There’s a category for reselling luxury goods.

2 Likes

Just remember if you paid 4000 for a pair of Levi jeans it won’t go for anywhere near that amount in the US. You’ll get about $25 dollars for it. They’re sold in Goodwills for less than 10 dollars a pair. You’d be better off selling it in Taiwan in fact because Taiwanese would actually pay up to 1500nt for it. I did that before with a pair I ordered from the states… it didn’t fit me so I put it on Yahoo auctions and got 1500 for it.

There are clothes shops that sell export and samples in Hk. What about Taiwan?

Everything’s usually new and of reasonable quality with no problems but you need patience to search for suitable items at dirt cheap prices, meaning 5-10% of original price tag.

Retail brand names such as GAP UNIQLO MARKS N SPENCERS EDDIE BAUER LEVIS etc etc, just to name a few.

I bought some beautiful dresses at these shops for less than USD8 each.

Have to agree with the Uniqlo recommendation. I can’t see any point in looking for second-hand clothes when they sell reasonable stuff at reasonable prices.

I can’t get myself to go to the hospital thrift shop because of potential germs and the sometimes depressing weirdness of hospitals.

I totally get your logic…but luxury goods are a different animal completely. For sure, if you can find Taiwan facebook groups that are looking for high end stuff that would be best. Or do the app thing.

But we are not talking about levi jeans. Makes no sense to sell it back to the USA for jeans like that, I totally agree. Also lower end goods (no judgement…i’m wearing uniqlo jeans) has less re-sell value.

I have no idea about the cost of the dress but I have to expect it is 20,000NT to 60,000NT if it is the flagship Armani brand and not one of their lower level brands or purchased at an “outlet”.

Sizing is “could” be an issue too. European sizing for women you will have less people that can fit into it if his wife is not 5’2’’ and under. The market is much smaller for high end goods and if you want to get max value…then you have to put it in front of more eyes that would want to buy it.

Look dude, just 'cos someone died in that shirt doesn’t make it less of a bargain. :slight_smile:

1 Like