Do you think Taiwanese girls are immature?

Has anyone even bothered to look above at the definition of mature?

Some of those things do qualify as indicators of maturity.

Whatever. I think that the girls are immature and that’s all that matters… to this thread anyway, a yes/no answer.

Having crinkly clothes and going hungry could be a sign of immaturity…

OK look, personal examples: -
Brought up 8 yr old sister aged 13-18 because mum had to work 2 jobs
Moved out at 18 because was no longer wanted in family home
Married at 22 because of bride’s passport issues
Divorced at 28 mainly because married too young

All of these things made me mature quickly BUT I wouldn’t wish them all on anyone. if Icould have stayed home until 30, saved money, driven a nice car at a young age etc. of course I would. Damn it I think what we have here is a case of outright jealousy. Face it Western society sucks which is why we are all here. Embrace what you missed out on and make it your own, and your children’s future.

peace.

[quote=“turkey_dinner”]Has anyone even bothered to look above at the definition of mature?

Some of those things do qualify as indicators of maturity.

Whatever. I think that the girls are immature and that’s all that matters… to this thread anyway, a yes/no answer.[/quote]

you are right, to use immature isn’t totally correct in this way :notworthy:

I think TW women are more ‘childish’ than ‘immature’

[quote=“doraemon”][quote] don’t understand quite how the fact that many Taiwanese women live with their parents into their thirties has anything to do with how mature they are. Simply put some of them may not have much choice in the matter financially as many jobs for women here do not pay enough for a woman to live on their own.
[/quote]

I totally desagree with this

In western contries not everybodies are ‘rich’ and some are even poorer than in Taiwan. And I never heard about a 30 years old women living with their parents, it’s really something impossible
How can you be mature and have your own private life if you live with your parents?
Most of TW women even can’t care well of a home (can’t iron clothes, wash…), don’t even ask them to cook or you’ll be on diet :smiley: . At more than 30 years old, to don’t know how to use a iron,(because mama is doing all) I really feel sorry for them… :s

so yes TW women are immature, and have to accept it. (or change if they don’t accept)[/quote]

One of my ex-girlfriends was over thirty, still lived at home with her parents and did a fair amount of the cooking and cleaning, etc. She viewed it as something she had to do to pitch in and help everyone in the house in which she was (and still is) living. I rather suspect that most thirty year old women here who are still living with their parents can do these things for themselves. I was over at her house often and her parents never asked any questions and she was allowed to come and go as she pleased. :sunglasses:

[quote=“Buttercup”]I totally disagree. But I’m not going to argue because then I would be a confrontational, rude immature Western woman.

‘Darwinism for girls’ favours many traits; acting ‘cute’ is a time honoured tradition. Never compromising and earning your own damn rent money works for many women too. Every behaviour has its reward and both work well and get you by in the world. Both get you boys. There are a million different ways to get what you want and there are enough people in this world to accomodate ‘cute’ girls and mouthy, opinionated brats like me. You collect Hello Kitty magnets, I collect ex-boyfriends. We women don’t have to choose which one makes us ‘look better’ and that’s the big difference feminism has made.

In my culture, giggling and liking cartoon characters would put you on the bottom of the heap and make you look incompetent and less educated. So we don’t do it; again, survival of the fittest. In East Asia, it doesn’t affect how your peers see you, so more power to Taiwanese girls for having the choice to dick around collecting Hello Kitty figures into their 30s while living with their parents to save money. And I have the choice to do things that many Taiwanese girls don’t for which I am grateful (not that it’s forbidden, they just wouldn’t want to because it would set them back socially and economically).

In the end, all women (and humans in general) do want gets them by the best. No one else has ANY SAY in the matter! All you get to do is choose the woman that fits you the best. So why all the criticism and debate? :wink:

But on a serious note: parents and teachers; would you encourage young girls to revere a female icon which has no mouth? Fuck Kitty. :raspberry:[/quote]

Buttercup, I respect your opinions, but I agree and disagree with you on some points. A woman is not rude for disagreeing with my opinions or even challenging me on them. A woman is rude when she chooses to insult me personally addresses me in a less than respectful manner. For example a foreign woman in one place I worked routinely interupted conversations that she wasn’t even in to tell people how wrong they were or to shoot the whole conversation down when they were talking about something she didn’t like. One time I was talking to a friend about who we felt was going to win in the NBA and she stood up and said, ‘I’m sick and tired of listenin to you guys talk about sports all the time. Why don’t you two SHUT UP!’ Yes, that’s a real quote. On another occasion she heard a song on the radio that she really liked and she decided to stand up and start singing the song in front of the whole office (and doing hand motions and dancing). I asked her politely to keep it down and she replied, 'Sorry, you’re out voted. Get out of here if you don’t like it! :fume: (I talked to the manager and he was no use. :raspberry: ) This is what I mean by being confrontational and rude.
To calm myself down I went into the classroom. My Chinese teacher was there and asked me what happened. I told her and she said that that was rude and told me if this woman gets on my nerves, I could go into the classroom and talk to her. Who is being immature here?

I would agree that cuteness isn’t viewed the same in the West as it is here. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t any adults who don’t like it. Look at how when Charles Schultz died it was on the cover of every major newspaper. Do you think it’s only children who collect all of that Snoopy stuff. Watch an episode of Sesame Street sometime and see how many jokes there are for adults. :wink:

You’re you’re basing the whole rude foreigner on one person? We’ve been trying to determine if Taiwanese girls are, generally, immature or not. Please try not to stereotype foreigners, or anyone else for that matter, by using one subject because it’s just not fair.

Most of the people who were snoopy fans were 4-10 years old. They’d sit down in front of a tv and share it with other 4-10 year olds. There just wasn’t much of a variety for kids, but kids didn’t need variety I guess. People grow up and learn that there’s more out there than Disney, Betty Boop, Snoopy, Hello Kitty.

Now when you see 4 adult women and 3 have snoopy shirts on… it’s pretty sad because of all those choices adults have and they’re still in the 4-10 market. 1 out of twenty was cute… 1 out of five is just hurting. It’s time for them to move on a find out what THEY like, not only what’s safe to like.

What is the minimum number of subjects needed for a “fair” stereotype?

I’m not sure how many Taiwanese are on the forum, but I hate to think how threads like this must make them feel. Not to mention how they reinforce their negative stereotypes of foreigners that we hate so much.

2 is the minimum… hahah. I don’t know, man. How about a handfull? I think 1 is a little harsh though.

This is all just my opinion of course.

[quote=“turkey_dinner”]You’re you’re basing the whole rude foreigner on one person? We’ve been trying to determine if Taiwanese girls are, generally, immature or not. Please try not to stereotype foreigners, or anyone else for that matter, by using one subject because it’s just not fair.

Most of the people who were snoopy fans were 4-10 years old. They’d sit down in front of a tv and share it with other 4-10 year olds. There just wasn’t much of a variety for kids, but kids didn’t need variety I guess. People grow up and learn that there’s more out there than Disney, Betty Boop, Snoopy, Hello Kitty.

Now when you see 4 adult women and 3 have snoopy shirts on… it’s pretty sad because of all those choices adults have and they’re still in the 4-10 market. 1 out of twenty was cute… 1 out of five is just hurting. It’s time for them to move on a find out what THEY like, not only what’s safe to like.[/quote]

I’m not sure I agree with that argument. What about us guys that love our sports and wear sports related apparel? Especially a sports shirt with a number and name on it. Isn’t that also just for kids? Does that make guys childish and/or immature? Or does it just make you what you are, i.e. a sports fan?

There’s nothing wrong with wearing cartoonish clothes, IMHO. Saying someone is immature because the wear a Hello Kitty T-shirt is like saying you’re dumb because you’re blonde. It’s non-sensical. Right now, sitting in front of the PC I’m wearing silk boxer shorts with Bart Simpson all over them and a T-Shirt with a cartoon Shark holding a rugby ball (Mascot of the Natal Sharks Rugby team). Does that make me immature?

I think immaturity is better measured in ones actions, not dress sense.

I also think living with your parents (taking care of them more often than not) and saving money is smart rather than immature. I had to pay for my own studies at Uni and I was expected to live on my own, as my parents were Old School in this regard. i.e. You’re a man,. now. A man must take care of himself. Looking back, it would have been much better (and I would have saved a fortune) had I been able to live at home during my Uni years and perhaps the first two years of my working life.
Given the choice, perhaps it’s immature to insist on moving out just so you can party unabated and shag your guts out.

I wish that was the only example that I had. Alas it is not. I could go on with examples of foreigner immaturity. Just the other night I saw two foreigners at a bar, who were probably much older than thirty, and who were probably not Hello Kitty fans get into a fight with each other that spilled out into the streets.
Again, you may say that these people were just poor examples and not to judge people by just a few bad examples. But I ask you when is the last time you have seen two Taiwanese fight with each other? Do you consider fighting to be very mature?

I wish that was the only example that I had. Alas it is not. I could go on with examples of foreigner immaturity. Just the other night I saw two foreigners at a bar, who were probably much older than thirty, and who were probably not Hello Kitty fans get into a fight with each other that spilled out into the streets.
Again, you may say that these people were just poor examples and not to judge people by just a few bad examples. But I ask you when is the last time you have seen two Taiwanese fight with each other? Do you consider fighting to be very mature?[/quote]

Turn on your TV - watch the news - see any Taiwanese fighting? :loco:

Tonight (over fireworks and a bit too much beer). This morning (over a traffic argument). Two nights ago on a quiet mountain road involving two worker types in their late 40s (over god knows what, but they were both wearing bright yellow hardhats which made me chuckle).

Depends if I win.

Depends if I win.[/quote]

:bravo:

:bravo:[/quote]
So, if you went into a restaurant and ordered food and when your food was a little too cold you started whining and crying about it and you threw a tantrum and decided to beat up the waiter and you went and beat the snot out of him you would consider yourself mature if you had won the fight?

I would like to ask the people who think Taiwanese girls are immature for liking Hello Kitty not to use any of the emoticons. They are too cute and your usage of them makes you look immature! :raspberry:

You said in my first example that I was stereotyping Western girls on the basis of one bad example. Aren’t the people asking the questions about Taiwanese girl’s maturity stereotyping them?

Alas to show you that I am not basing my opinions of Western women here on one bad example I shall give you another. I wish this was the only other example I had.
A foreign woman was at a school I worked at one time was having a hard time getting along with her Chinese Teacher. The issue was that the Chinese teacher was about to quit the job and take care of her seven year old daughter. The foreign teacher didn’t want to do extra correcting and was asking the Chinese teacher to help out. The Chinese teacher (who is paid half what the foreign teachers are paid and has to work an extra hour everyday) was unwilling to do more than her share of the work. The foreign teacher came into the room and complained of how overworked she was and how her Chinese teacher should be more willing to help out. Her comment was ‘All she wants to do is go home and take care of her stupid kid.’ I happen to know this kid and she is anything but ‘stupid.’ She is a darling angel. How mature is it that a thirty year old foreign woman has to insult a seven year old? :fume: I’ll take the seven-year old’s maturity any day of the week!

No, I am not saying that all foreign women are like this one. I am saying to ask yourself if you are stereotyping Taiwanese (and Japanese and Korean) women by asking this question in the first place?

lol - this whole thread is immature.

:bravo:[/quote]
So, if you went into a restaurant and ordered food and when your food was a little too cold you started whining and crying about it and you threw a tantrum and decided to beat up the waiter and you went and beat the snot out of him you would consider yourself mature if you had won the fight?[/quote]

Yeh. Wanna fight about it?

A sensible comment. :sunglasses: