Does China Track Foreigners Social Media?

Heres something I was concerned about. Does CCP track or care about foreigners who say negative things about China outside of China then visit? Like if one were to post comments on Youtube but have WeChat app on my phone, then decide to visit China. Im sure im being overly paranoid…but maybe not?

It’s not like it’s unimaginable.

3 Likes

True, but I wonder if there are incidents of Foreigners or Taiwanese being arrested or detained or not let in for this…

Yes.

And once you become a target, it will be relentless.

Worse if you are Ethnic Chinese or one of the recognised Chinese nationalities.

Once they target you. It won’t end. Nobody dares even step on Chinese soil. And with the new national security law, nobody has tried. Probably because of the pandemic. We shall see.

People like China Uncensored and the ADVChina crew don’t try their luck. But once you start finding a slew of wumaos showing up to your events or posting on social media…you can bet yo’ass you’re being watched.

5 Likes

Its possible, but i wouldnt worry if you are just a tourist and have no political worth. They definitely track foreigners in China

I don’t see how they would care unless you’re a political activist in China. They have 1 billion people to worry about in China.

Doesn’t mean you won’t see attacks from wumao .

1 Like

If you are a Chinese citizen, i would worry

1 Like

Or even just ethnic Chinese.

2 Likes

Which is until the 1/16th portion, so…

If you’re clearly not Chinese, there is a possibility they will chalk you up to being ignorant.

But there is an unknown line. People like China Uncensored have crossed it for sure by now. But nobody is willing to try their luck at the border.

If one is Canadian, I’d say to be very careful going to China now in case they want to grab another Canadian to make a political statement. I’d say it’s high risk.

If I was American? No worries, they wouldn’t dare abduct an American (Unless they were originally Chinese) no matter what you post on social media

2 Likes

Its getting dangerous, they’ve taken some Aussie Journalists too no?

2 Likes

I hadn’t heard but honestly if one said anything negative on social media and was from any country other than America which they know better than to anger, it’s best to not go.

2 Likes

Yea its better just not to go, don’t want to use my money there for now…until Xi goes away. China was still better with the world under Hu Jin Tao and Zhang than it is now.

2 Likes

I’ve got friends in Hong Kong I want to visit but not while Canada and Meng is an issue.

45 posts were split to a new topic: China Uncensored and Falun Gong

It’s more if you look like you make trouble inside China. If you have been there a lot with no past problems you should have not re entry problems both with and without a visa. If you have a Chinese name (I have Japanese one but never write and use my Western passport/ real name) try avoid giving it. (Don’t speak Chinese).

1 Like

yes I always use my US Passport then they see I was born in Taiwan and want me to write my Chinese name but I tell them I dont know how.

1 Like

I’m gonna say, China’s huge social network high technology tracking blanket, tracks any and all comments about China.

It’s obvious anyway they’ve already shown their cards.

It’s like nothing, less than easy, to dump the data somewhere for current or future use.

2 Likes

One thing for sure is don’t use commie spyware wechat.

4 Likes