Dunkin' Donuts

I had a Boston Creme donut from there today. Not much of a line, but then again most of the donuts were sold out. The Boston Creme was ok. Nothing too special.

WHERE IS IT? What time do they open in morning? Need some for office…

Maybe you would have seen this if you’d bothered to read any of the posts before yours.

Maoman, did they have any apple fritters? Did you see any? Pleeeeeeeeeeeease say yes. :bouncy:

Oh it’s not nearly as bad as the first Mister Donut opening. The line was out the door but not by much. I don’t think it would have been more than a ten minute wait tops. (Also this was around 6:30pm, so it was probably a peak time.)

Could do with a nice sticky bun right now. Do they deliver?

No, just chicken and beef. Boom boom!

I was there last night. Not much of a line. The donuts are pretty good, I think. A bit better than Mister Donut. However, they don’t seem to have that fashionable cache that Mister Donut went for. It will be pretty telling if they fail and Mister Donut doesn’t because people eat there not for the food but the perceived status attached to a certain donut store.

I went there this afternoon, and can say I was pretty happy with the experience. This was Saturday afternoon and there was a decent line but I still made it out the door in about 15 minutes. Dunkin Donuts uses a self service concept like a bakery here where you pull out your own donuts onto a tray before purchasing. This is good and bad in that you’re going to be stuck behind a bunch of indecisive people taking 5 minutes to pick each donut, good in that if you can be a bit pushy you can get what you want and then go around the ponderers. When I was there they only had signs on maybe 20% of the trays, so you will be left guessing the contents of some of the donuts. Hopefully they get better at putting out the signs as they get up and running. Most signs were in both Chinese and English.

Donuts are $25 and $30 each, so just slightly less than Mister Donut. Unlike Mister Donut they also have discounts for dozens and half dozens. The deal is buy 5, get 1 free (half dozen for the price of 5) or buy 9, get 3 free (dozen for the price of 9). You can also get a discount when you buy a donut and cup of coffee together. I had trouble reading the details of that sign since it was Chinese only but I think it was $15 for a donut when buying a medium coffee.

They mostly had yeast raised filled and ring donuts, plus donut holes. They had one tray of what looked like powdered cake donut rings but they ran out before I got up there. For filled they had various fruit flavor fillings with real donut powder (i.e. dextrose). They also have chocolate frosted custard filled (Boston Cream). For rings they had chocolate and strawberry frosted, granulated sugar coated, glazed, and coconut. There are no bars, no apple fritters, no maple, no cinnamon twists etc. They had signs for Mochi donuts and Muffins but didn’t have any on hand, so it’s possible we’ll get some of those varieties in the future.

I tried one bite each of blueberry filled, glazed, and strawberry frosted. The blueberry filled and the glazed were very good, and pretty much just like the kind back home as far as sweetness. For the strawberry frosted they wimped out and used a similar coating as Mister Donut which to my taste is slightly tastier than pink colored wax. Some of the donuts were a bit misshapen and some of the frosting looked lumpy, but it’s pretty hard to make donuts so hopefully they’ll get better. All in all seems like they got most things right.

By the way, once you’ve made your purchases you don’t need to battle through the line to get out. Follow the signs to the bathrooms in back and you can loop back through the building lobby.

What on earth are donut holes, apart from the obvious. And how can they charge you? How can they tell how many you have on your tray? How can YOU tell, for that matter?

One of the parents from my morning class today bought a dozen for me and a up of coffee, plus four donut holes. I shared them with my older students who enjoyed the treat (plus I am so picky about sweets that it would be the only way they’d get eaten). I an assure you the sticky bun was fantabulous, although as jlick says, the icing was a little asymetrical. I also had a cinnamon-powdered donut with apple filling. I was in heaven.

And unlike Mr. Donut, they didn’t leave that waxy grease residue in my mouth. That earned extra points with me.

What on earth are donut holes, apart from the obvious. And how can they charge you? How can they tell how many you have on your tray? How can YOU tell, for that matter?[/quote]

I know you’re trying to be all Zen and all but no, they really sell them.

I remember eating them when I was a kid.

Doughnut holes, then. OK, it’s official. I have now heard everything.

Come on, just think of the possibilities here! Feel guilty about eating a donut? Have a donut hole…or two…or twenty five - it’s easy to lose track so you never have to lose sleep at night over how many donuts you ate that day.

Not that I think you’d lose sleep at night over that anyway, sandman.

Do you think you can eat them by accident if you just walk along with your mouth open? It would explain a lot.

Unfortunately I have not seen any donut holes flying around here, only bugs the size of donut holes. Of course people eating a lot of those by accident might explain a lot too. Can I get a calorie count on some of the bigger bugs here from someone older and more experienced in such worldy affairs, please?

Was Hardee’s actually here? I’ve never heard it mentioned before.[/quote]

Indeed they were, until around 1994 or 1995. Then they disappeared. They were very popular, as were Wendy’s, which dissapeared a few years later. Puzzling.

Dunkin Donots are ubiquitous in the Philippines they tried the Taiwan market before years ago and failed as did Jollibee, the fast food chain.
Maybe the time is right for Jollibee to try again, I believe they are successful in the USA.

If only we could have the cheap beer chain pubs here from the UK !

Sure beats Mc Donalds, mind you, any thing beats them!

Went to D&D about 2 weeks after I came back to the States. Nearly threw up from how sweet it was :frowning: I can’t eat American food anymore. :help:

Just bought a dozen…Utter crap.

As kind of a chocolate hound, I had high hopes when I went in…It all looked so familiar.

I had them boxed up, and the sales lady said they were “specially modified to suit local taste” I should have thrown them out straight away so as to not suffer the disappointment of the first bite. I didn’t…And I did. The chocolate was wax…Just like any other street market donut, and maybe even not as good. The powdered suger ones had no taste, the plain donuts yeasty, and the strawberry? More wax.

If anyone in Yangmei is curious, you can still have the 6 leftover ones before I trash them…Disgusting. :s

Went back there today while doing the rounds of the tax offices (Dunkin Donuts is right between the two so I can’t avoid it). Still got a good line going but not too much of a wait. They had muffins and cinnamon sugar coated apple filled donuts this time, but still no sign of the old fashioneds or mochi rings which they have up on the signs. They managed to get signs up on about half the baskets this time. I’m not the only one to notice as I heard the two women behind me wondering aloud what some of the unnamed donuts were.

I got a sugar coated blueberry filled for $30 and 6 chocolate cake munchkins (donut holes) for $40. The munchkins were pretty decent with good sweet chocolate dough and a bit of sugar glaze. The blueberry filled was wonderful. I still think they are doing a decent job as long as you stay away from the chocolate frosted and strawberry frosted ones. My mother in law thought the donut holes were way too sweet though.