Dunkin' Donuts

I got some for the office today. Jesus, those things are FOUL! Utterly disgusting. And I purposely avoided the ones with the wax toppings. How anyone can eat those artery-blocking greaseblobs is beyond me.

BLASPHEMY!
The donuts were excellent, pretty true to the way they taste at home.
But the bathroom, now that was foul!

Mmm, grease.

You must have been living in a box all these years. I first heard of them in '77.

Probably almost as artery-clogging as a deep-fried Snickers or bar of Mars, hey?

I went into Dunkinā€™ yesterday and had what supposedly was an apple fritter and a green tea cruller. Neither were good. The fritter wasnā€™t a fritter at all. It was an apple-flavoured jelly doughnut. The cruller was a cruller but whatā€™s crueler is how they tinkered with the recipe to suit the local tastes. The dough of the doughnuts just felt strange on my teeth and just left me verrrry unseeeeatisfiiiieed. The coffee wasnā€™t great either.

Drunkinā€™ Honutsā€¦ heh, I havenā€™t been able to get that out of my head for some reason. Every time I see this thread I thinkā€¦ Drunkinā€™ Honutsā€¦ or maybe Drunkinā€™ Bumsluts, thatā€™s pretty funny too.

Howā€™s the coffee? The coffee in Taiwan is generally stronger than in the states. I wonder if Dunkinā€™s coffee is the same strength or is it stronger to suit the local tasteā€¦

My heart is broken. And I was SO excited. But yeah, they suck. They tasted like they had been out all day and THEY SERVED ME COLD COFFEEā€¦
not that I asked for iced coffee. Not that they got my order wrong. Just my coffee was room temperature. And my donuts were stale.
That and one of my donuts was broken. But it was the last of its kind. As I was "BuYaoBuYao"ing, she threw it away. Then when she couldnā€™t find another of the same kind, she would not refund my money. Instead I had to chose a different donut.
Cold coffee, stale donuts, and whatever you would call that.
Mainly because of the cold coffee I wonā€™t be returning again.

Though they arenā€™t like the donuts at home, theyā€™re superior to Mister Donut.

I wish companies would stop fiddling with classic products just to ā€œsuit local tastesā€. Authenticity reigns over localization.

Iā€™m not too sure about that. Mr. Donuts isnā€™t great, but I will actually eat it once in a while. I took a bite out of two of the donuts at dunkin and left the rest on the table.

[quote][color=darkblue]
What a REAL donut looks like:
[/color]

[/quote]
Fixed. Philistines.

Tetsuo,
Thatā€™s the business. A kiwi donut!!

I went to Dunkinā€™ Donuts today for my third try and must say that they seem to have taken a step or two backwards. The powdered sugar jelly filled donuts were nowhere to be seen, and seem to have been replaced by granulated sugar jelly filled donuts, and only local flavors such as mango and kiwi. Geez louise, if I want a granulated sugar donut I can get one from some guy with a cart almost anywhere in Taipei. :fume:

They did have a new ā€˜bow tieā€™ donut which I tried since itā€™s one of my favorites from Mister Donut, though I think they call it a Cinnamon Twist. Anyways, the Dunkin version didnā€™t have cinnamon so it was basically a glazed raised donut in a funny shape. It was decent, though I think Mister Donut is better at that particular item.

Bottom line though, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be going back if they stop making the REAL powdered sugar blueberry and strawberry filled donuts.

agree - lots of granulation going onā€¦you just have to get past the ā€˜beginners lineā€™ full of fumbling individuals, painstakingly trying to select ā€˜aā€™ donut!!! In general theyā€™re most welcomed but Mr donuts has the edge i think -

Itā€™s too bad people feel it has gone downhill so fast.
I thought the donuts and coffee were both good when I was there.
Iā€™ll still give it another shot and hope that youse guys just caught them on a bad day.

Complete and utter waste of time. What authenticity they had when they first opened has all gone away.

Um, I donā€™t know if a visit there is a complete waste of time, though I do respect your opinion.

I went to this Dunkin Donuts yesterday, and I picked up some jelly donuts. I actually thought they were quite good. The strawberry and blueberry-filled tasted just like the one I remembered from the States. Granted, they did seem a bit on the small side, but, overall, I thought they were good. The cinamon, apple-filled ones were good, too.

I also bought some of those ā€œringā€ mochi (?) ones, and those were OKā€“reminded me of the Mister Donut ones.

I didnā€™t try the coffee, since I was taking the donuts home with me, and I didnā€™t try any of the glazed or chocolate frosted.

But I was pleased with the jelly donuts, and I will be going back for more from this Dunkin Donuts.

Itā€™s possible that theyā€™ve changed again, as I havenā€™t been back in a while. Were the jellies powdered sugar or granulated sugar coated? The last few times Iā€™d gone, the jellies were coated with granulated sugar and they usually only had mango and kiwi flavors. When they first opened though, they used real dextrose based powdered sugar, and had lots of blueberry and strawberry ones.

Itā€™s possible that theyā€™ve changed again, as I havenā€™t been back in a while. Were the jellies powdered sugar or granulated sugar coated? The last few times Iā€™d gone, the jellies were coated with granulated sugar and they usually only had mango and kiwi flavors. When they first opened though, they used real dextrose based powdered sugar, and had lots of blueberry and strawberry ones.[/quote]

I think it was granulated sugar and not the powdered sugar (sorry, I ate them up so quickly that I didnā€™t really think to check for this detailā€“guess it means Iā€™ll have to go back again soon to confirm this :slight_smile: ).

I do know that they had plenty of strawberry and blueberry, along with the mango and kiwi-flavoreds.

All I can say is that the strawberry and blueberry (it actually tasted more like a blackberry) were quite good, at least in the humble opinion of this American who grew up on these donuts and who fondly remembers trips to the Dunkin Donuts on Saturdays with my familyā€“each of us kids got to pick out three donuts and I always picked the jelly ones.

I believe they were granulated sugar coated jlick. I ate them too fast to really notice :smiley:. Plenty of strawberry and blueberry filling donuts. Bostom creme was good, the cinnamon apple filled ones were very good, the Eclairā€™s chocolate covering was too thick, glazed donut was IMO authentic, their cruellerā€™s were all weird, cinnamon rolls were just ok, coconut covered cake donut was excellent - the donut consistency comparable to what Iā€™d expect from a cake style. Disappointed they didnā€™t have the old-fashioned, butternut or blueberry :frowning:.

Authenticity overall, I would say is close enough. But damnit, they need the coffee!!! :fume: Luckily the better-half will be returning soon from the States and will bring a yearā€™s supply :laughing: