Earthquake ! 2004

Little more than a slight swaying here in Hualien! Actually, I thought at first that the house was going to come down around me! Only lasted somewhere between 10 15 seconds but sure felt like a lot longer…

One dog jumped into my lap and the other dog headed for the hills (downstairs, that is). I don’t know which of the three of us was the most scared! Minimum breakage - just a vase, picture, dish and a calendar which fell from the wall.

I live across the lane from an egg distributor - they had a lot of eggs to clean up!

Big rumble the whole time which was unusual.

Totallytika wrote: [quote]Only lasted somewhere between 10 15 seconds but sure felt like a lot longer…

One dog jumped into my lap and the other dog headed for the hills (downstairs, that is).[/quote]

Please, just stick to the earthquake topic and spare us the sordid details of your sex life. :wink:

I made it through 9-21. And 10-22. And all the non-stop shaking in between.

After those, anything under 6.0 is child’s play.

Living in HK I miss the odd earthquake. Wish theground would just give a little shake this way, not too big mind.

HG

Anyone felt the quake yesterday afternoon.Felt it in Taoyuan city

Rassie, go back a few posts in this thread. That’s what jlick, myself, and others have been referring to.

:idunno: I feel the earth move all the time here. I don’t think I noticed the quake yesterday. I’ve learned to ignore any feeling of dizziness or swaying unless the string from the blinds is moving too…then again, I do remember glancing at the blinds at one point yesterday to see if they were swaying. They weren’t. Oh well.

California will have many big ones until the coastal side of the state is separated as an island. Though it’ll never be 10.5, it’s still interesting to see it on TV

10.5 on NBC tonight[/url]

Anyone else get woken up at 4am by the quake? It was the rattling windows that made me realise the room really was swaying. What kind of a country is this? I demand that earthquakes only happen during daylight hours! :slight_smile:

I was already awake. my gf said you’re making the earth move :smiley:

only my gf is made of plastic and air, and she didn’t really say that. :cry:

Yeah, almost forgot about it. Was a 5.7 out in Ilan. Was enough to wake me up, but my wife slept through it.

2004/05/10 04:06 Magnitude: 5.7 No.: 052 (0510040657052)
cwb.gov.tw/V4e/seismic/quake … 657052.gif
cwb.gov.tw/V4e/seismic/quake … 657052.txt

CWB EARTHQUAKE REPORT

Earthquake No.: 93052

Origin time: (local time) 5/10/2004 4:6:48.3

Epicenter: 24.58N 121.75E i.e. 20 km south of Ilan

Depth: 67.1 km

Magnitude(ML): 5.7

Local largest intensity:

Ilan           4
    Taoyuan        3
    Taichung       3
    Nantou         3
    Hualien        3
    Ilan City      3
    Suao Port      3
    Taipei         2
    Hsinchu        2
    Miaoli         2
    Changhua       2
    Yunlin         2
    Chiayi         2
    Taitung        2
    Taipei City    2
    Chiayi City    2
    Changhua City  2
    Doouluh City   2
    Hualien City   2
    Tainan         1
    Keelung City   1
    Miaoli City    1

05月10日04時06分 規模:5.7 編號:052 (0510040657052)
cwb.gov.tw/V4/seismic/quake/ … 657052.gif
cwb.gov.tw/V4/seismic/quake/ … 657052.txt

中央氣象局地震測報中心 第052號有感地震報告              
 發 震 時 間: 93年 5月10日 4時 6分48.3秒              
 震 央 位 置: 北 緯  24.58

[quote=“Jack Burton”]I was already awake. my gf said you’re making the earth move :smiley:

only my gf is made of plastic and air, and she didn’t really say that. :cry:[/quote]

That cutie I saw you with recently didn’t look plastic… or was she not your gf? :laughing:

He bought the one with the real wool. Her name is Baaabara.

Don’t worry Jack. She loves ewe.

I slept through it too, btw.

I was woken up by it. I was in the middle of a bad dream anyways, so it made me not only wake up, but jump out of bed and rush to an inner wall. It’s been a long time since an earthquake has driven that kind of reaction out of me…actually, come to think of it, I don’t think any earthquake I’ve experienced here has caused me to react in that way or at least not that quickly. Maybe it was a good thing. Or a bad dream. :idunno:

WTF? Man I didn’t feel anything and it had a rating of 3 here? Weird. I always feel these things. Ah well…disappointed to be sure. :cry:

Good one. :smiley:

I am getting sea-sick …

that was a long slow roller…praxctising for tomoorrow no doubt

That was a bit of a teaser alright, wobble, wobble, wobble, was waiting for the explosion of violence which didn’t come…yet…

I suspect it was actually staged by the DPP to distract citizens from other issues prior to the swearing in.