Earthquakes 2021

The chandelier was going wild!

Just joking, it was pretty weak in Yilan.

40th floor in Kaohsiung and felt nothing, thankfully.

Well, 16 hours later and not even a tiny local area shake has been recorded by the CWB.

Don’t jinx it!!!

They did come out this morning to say in 3 or 4 days time.

Nantou folk ain’t happy.

2 Likes

drink_rickandmorty

2 Likes

Seems we have a…magnitude 0 earthquake. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Relax, just a drill

Relax. I just posted a screenshot. :roll:

1 Like

Yeah, I actually pulled out the chair and prepared myself to get under the table. I know the alert said “Drill” but, well, I don’t exactly trust the level of English used in government communications.

Oo, and now we’re getting a tsunami one as well!

(Four of these alerts in a couple of days now? Seems like a good way to get people to tune them out.)

2 Likes

What the fuck is going on?

I was having a bowel movement.

:fish_cake:

2 Likes

Finally! I felt this one!

1 Like

That was my bowel movement.

2 Likes

One with a big impact, and not only in your undies.

1 Like

Saved this one for you too!

Don’t worry @Taiwan202077. I’m just posting another screenshot for people to read.

3 Likes

My friend said that’s the alert they would normally send on Tuesday to remember the 9/21 quake. Since Tuesday is a holiday they sent it today, at 9:21.

5 Likes

Imagine what happens when you own 72 cellphones…

Grampa Pokemon spent half an hour turning them off and a friendly message gave his followers a fright.

5 Likes

Normally I have a chuckle when an Earthquake is reported in Australia, little wobbles in the M2-3 area that are barely felt, and cause the Media to go into a frenzy of “People feared for their lives” and so on.

Today is different though, 3 of them, biggest was 5.8 at only 10km down at 09:15 about 190km ENE of Melbourne, followed by aftershocks of 4.0 and 3.1 in the same area. A rather sparsely populated area in the mountains. Felt as far away as Sydney it seems. Casualties not known at this stage.

EDIT - Shake Map.

2 Likes

Australia is subject to earthquakes? That’s new to me!

Guy

Tasmania pulling away from the mainland leaving a void, leading to earthquakes.

Fortunately not many, but they do happen, like the one at Newcastle NSW in 1989 that killed 13 people. I was in Sydney at work at the time and it was quite a jolt and guessed what it was due to a previous life in PNG.