Economic Relief Money for US Citizens Living Abroad?

Deposited the check today into my Cathay account. Took 2 hours, a ton of paperwork, and cost $600NT. It will take 30 days to clear.

Glad that errand is done, finally.

1 Like

The banks are so archaic here. Japan 1950s. Started with some mutual funds. Sold a few and started new ones. Man, the paperwork. Stamps, printing sheets, getting shit signed by the manager, more paperwork. Just insane.

I cashed my stimulus check using the BOA app. Easy and quick. And I have been enjoying the stimulus of decent scotch and meals with the family.

2 Likes

Is anyone still waiting?

I still get “Status Not Available”. No check yet. The Overseas Taxpayer hotline today told me that my account says I’m not eligible because there’s an ITIN on my account. This is BS – I’m an American citizen with two US citizen sons who are claimed as my dependents on every return. Doesn’t that make us eligible for $2200 or something? My wife is Taiwanese and has an ITIN and we file jointly to get a better standard deduction and child tax credits, but that shouldn’t make me ineligible, right?

Has anyone here filing jointly with a spouse who has an ITIN (e.g. Taiwnese wife) received their ESP (economic stimulus payment) despite the ITIN or been rejected on that basis?

Also, some information for anyone else still waiting:

I called two IRS hotlines this morning. The first (ESP hotline) told me that they began sending ESPs in April but will continue processing them until Dec. 31. If one has filed for 2018 or 2019 no action is needed. There is no Oct. or Nov. deadline to act, for such individuals. If one still does not get the check, one may claim it as a “recovery rebate credit” when filing 2020 next year.

The 2nd hotline (Overseas Taxpayers) confirmed the above statement.

Those who can be claimed as a dependent for tax purposes, such as college students, are also ineligible for the payments, as well as a married couple where one partner has an Social Security number, and the other has an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) or no number (unless the taxpayer is in the military).

If your clients fall into the example above, don’t worry – there is another way to receive an Economic Impact Payment. If your clients have already filed their 2018 and 2019 returns, they have two options. The first option is to file as “married filing separately” (MFS) for the next tax year and receive the payment around this time next year. If your client needs their stimulus check now, they can file a second return for 2019 using the MFS status.

I just googled that. May appear to be your case.

Many thanks for the quick reply, CTaitung. The info on filing an amended return MFS is valuable. I’ll have to check to see whether than makes me ineligible for the child tax credit and additional child tax credit, and see which is more beneficial.

What’s confusing, though, is that the information on the website you quoted from seems contradictory, namely

1. “a married couple where one partner has an Social Security number, and the other has an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) [is ineligible].”
    BUT
  2. "Taxpayers with an ITIN are not eligible for the stimulus payment in most cases. However, if they are married to a U.S citizen or legal permanent resident with a valid SSN, their spouse is eligible for a payment.

The first does not mention citizenship and might apply to legal residents with SSN. The second clearly covers me, a US citizen.

I would guess 2 things:

1. you should still be able to file with the children (they have SSN as Americans, right)?
  2. you just take your wife off as dependent, and do the MFS

You’ll have to do the calculation if her being taken off is worth the money coming to you from stimulus check.

sorry to hear you’re still waiting on the first one. A lot of us now are waiting for the second one, if the government ever gets around to it. I imagine that for the second round, it will be done the same way as the first round was?

Yeah, the boys have SSN as Americans. Thanks again!

soooo… how about that second stimulus check? anyone get theirs? I haven’t gotten mine, I checked the IRS get my payment thing and they don’t have enough info or that I’m not eligible. I actually never got around to filing my 2019 taxes, ooopps… wonder if that has anything to do with it. just wondering if anyone living in Taiwan (or elsewhere abroad) has gotten their second check yet.

There’s a thread about it here:

From my own experience and what I’ve read above, no one in Taiwan (or at least no one on Forumosa) has received their second check yet.

2 Likes

According to the IRS website, the get my payment tool is no longer be updated. If it says they don’t have enough info/not eligible then you have to claim the rebate when you do your taxes.

I got my second dose of free money in early January via direct deposit to my US bank account. Waiting on my third dose now.

Yeah, seems to be the fastest way to receive payment. However, most of us here in Taiwan don’t have a US bank account and are waiting patiently for the checks to be delivered.

2 Likes

how did you set up direct deposit with them? thing is, I haven’t had to pay taxes to the US government in like a decade, I’m always below the threshold. So I’ve never had a reason to give them my bank info, I just report what I made and that’s it. I also didn’t see a way to add bank deposit info for the first check and not sure if there’s a way to do it. can you share your experience? thanks.

2 Likes

So any chance on a 3rd one from Biden?

Word is not until end of spring / start of summer. 90% sure it will be $1400 per person (including children).

did you file your 2019 taxes?

Well thats dumb.

I tried to follow those links and I just end up in an endless circle. can you give a more specific link? also did you file your taxes online with one of the recommended online filers? I have never filed my taxes online, I always mail physical forms to that IRS office in Texas.