Economic Relief Money for US Citizens Living Abroad?

must file an FBAR to report:

a financial interest in or signature or other authority over at least one financial account located outside the United States if the aggregate value of those foreign financial accounts exceeded $10,000 at any time during the calendar year reported.

Yes that’s what my edit was addressing: a federal refund check I received in maybe 2014 or so had a note on it that said “not available for mobile deposit” or something like that. So I had to take that check to a physical bank. It’s possible as more people moved away from physical banks that the governemnt decided not to have that limit anymore. I don’t know. Best to just get it direct deposited into your bank. World’s greatest headache for whoever is responsible for making sure millions of Americans get these checks…

2019: Governments are immoral!
2020: Where can I get my CV19 money?

2 Likes

Haha money talks after all even for the most anti government people. Machiavelli once said you can kill someone’s family member and one day they can forgive you, but if you take their money, they will never forgive you.

Don’t forget the
2019 “Not my president!”
2020 “where can I get my Trump bucks?”
Crowd.

2 Likes

still no word from AIT. Keep hitting them with emails folks!

1 Like

A) Keep your stinkin’ paws off my money.
b) Why haven’t your stinkin’ paws issued my government check yet?
No problem. You don’t want them around, you don’t have to worry about getting any money.

2 Likes

If you are a US citizen, you literally can’t have a bank account anywhere on Earth without the US government knowing about it. Some banks can be super slow about processing the forms, but they will get in serious trouble with the US gov if they don’t notify them of your account’s existence.

Irony lies in “we need access to info about every last penny you have stored in every corner of the globe so we can take it all away if we feel like you might have committed a crime, but we can’t get your stimulus check to you because you didn’t write the account info down on this form."

4 Likes

Well, it’s possible if you have dual nationality. You can open a bank account under your non US passport.

You’ll still be required to fill in the FATCA forms, which ask whether you are an American citizen.

3 Likes

Yes required under US federal law. But just pointing out foreign banks wouldn’t ask you to unless you voluntary tell them you’re a US citizen.

you’re correct there, that’s why I’ve been wanting to get Canadian citizenship, eh!

what the heck are you trying to say? next time, try to be coherent.

well, here’s a kind of update on this, article here is about people who will “fall through the cracks,” expats aren’t mentioned.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/falling-cracks-many-americans-wont-090029581.html

You now have to sign a form stating that your are not a US citizen. I assumed they confused me for an American but the form says you have to declare legally that you don’t hold a US passport. So you can’t just not mention it anymore. That was my experience last summer

1 Like

It could very well be possible as the US has been pressuring foreign banks to comply. I’ve heard some banks have been annoyed and don’t want to make accounts for US citizens since it’s a lot of extra work.

2 Likes

Yeah. I was like… I’m not signing that, I’m not American. Then I read the form

so US citizens living abroad are eligible, scroll down to about the middle of this article:

This might make it easier for some here.

I just filled out the form. Hopefully in one or two days I will receive a confirmation email :blush:

1 Like