Environment forum

How about an “interdisciplinary” environment forum?

In other words, talking about the environment and climate change is about a lot more than international politics.

Rather than simply discussing the politics of climate change, how about a forum in which we could discuss political, economic, philosophical and scientific issues related to the environment and climate change, as well as practical questions of how we can all take steps to improve our own lifestyles - for our own sakes here and now as well as the long term sake of the environment - reduce our carbon footprint, use of resources and general environmental impact.

Science, politics, economics, ecology, lifestyle, self help, activism and philosophy with a bit of futurology thrown in.

Every week there seems to be a new report or a politician saying this is the single most important public policy and lifestyle issue of the age. Worthy of its own spot, isn’t it?

It’s an interesting idea, but I wouldn’t want to risk it and then no one actually uses it. This is why we have a set of “minimal standards” for starting new forums.

See what I mean here: [forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 084#730084](New forum thread

If you can provide all these requirements - 30+ existing threads and someone to voluntere and moderate it, then we’ll be in a position to talk about why there should be one

A little while back I provided a long list of threads related to ‘science’, which is pretty much the same thing that fruitloop is proposing.

Found it.

[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 466#730466](New forum thread

What about grouping those in with Tech, in a renamed Science and Technology forum? Just an idea. :idunno: Erg, neeed mooore coooffeeee.

If you follow the link I gave, you will see that I counted and most of the posts in the tech forum are about computers and gadgets. Why not let it be what it is, and provide a home for the orphans that are wandering from forum to forum in search of a home?

Joesax was pretty adamant that discussions about ethanol as a fuel should be kept in the C&M forum. There was a quote somewhere else about food riots in Mexico due to the rising price of corn as ethanol becomes the next big thing. What about the economics of ethanol production? The environmental damage caused by deforestation to grow palm oil? etc? If you wantr to get a balanced overview of a topic like this there is no way to do so short of trawling through all the forums in search of relevant posts. And if you’re not interested in petrol-head drivel then wading through ten pages of it in order to find the stuff that’s relevant to your interest is a bit of a chore.

Let the petrol-heads, and the gadgetfreaks, play in peace and make a little space for the eggheads. I would of thought that someone of your immense cranial presence would appreciate that.

I’d like to see Environmental Issues taken out of the American Politics Forum.

… I would of thought that someone of your immense cranial presence would appreciate that.[/quote]

:slight_smile: :bravo: Excellent, that line should be nominated for Quote of the Day if we had such an award. Praise where it is due

:laughing:

Ok Loretta, fair point. The NYTimes does separate the two just as you suggest.

What, and give Freda another forum to try and dominate with his diatribes, i would rather he was kept to one :smiley:

Hey, if i get to moderate it, I’ll do a little fred pruning every now and again. besides, there is such a thing as a “group ignore buton”… just PM ten people to put the same person on ignore at the same time.