Expats: Why did you come to Taiwan?

I’m curious where are you from, and what’s your story about how/why you came to Taiwan?

Was it push (e.g. recession back home, had enough of domestic politics, etc.) or pull (e.g. job offer in Taiwan, love, etc.)? Or perhaps a sense of wanderlust and adventure?

Why Taiwan and not some other Far Eastern country/locale like Singapore, Hong Kong, S. Korea, etc.?

How about you? Why did you come to Taiwan?

7 Likes

See also (first one from about a year ago, second much older):

6 Likes

Because I’m a loser who couldn’t make it in my own country.

27 Likes

My U.S. company sent me and I stayed when I discovered Taiwan is an inventor’s paradise.

5 Likes

I thought it was Thailand. :man_shrugging:

30 Likes

I’m not in Taiwan yet but I’ll share why I’m coming.

It’s pull (want to plant some roots both personally and professionally in an Asian city and also immerse my children in Chinese culture/language) as well as a “a sense of wanderlust and adventure”

Because Taipei offered what we feel like is the best balance of city amenities and cosmopolitan feel, while still being affordable. Singapore and Penang were our final three, and they both were further on the spectrum in many areas while Taipei split the difference in both the positive and negatives. (HK, among a handful of other cities, was strongly considered)

5 Likes

I was reduced to doing favours for sailors in Portsmouth. I was advised to go to Thailand for a better life, but screwed up my plane ticket.

11 Likes

Wait, this isn’t Thailand?! Oh crap, that explains so much.

12 Likes

We traded ladyboys and pristine beaches for scooter grandmas and less pristine beaches.

15 Likes

Also, food that is bursting with flavours and textures, for, um, food?

6 Likes

Aren’t you craving some stinky tofu and brown herbal chicken soup right now? Yum!

4 Likes

Huh, you’re in a charitable frame of mind today. Not every day that you’d label it as food!

5 Likes

To be fair I haven’t tried the local stinky tofu, it was very good in Changsha, Hunan, where I developed a taste for it. I’m afraid that, given my experience/opinion with the local food, that the stinky tofu here will be a disappointment… Yeah, I guess chicken soup that tastes like medicine is flavourful enough from time to time, although I usually can’t handle the bits of chicken that end up in the pot!

well, “food?” not “food!”

1 Like

Can you expound on that?

1 Like

Hey now. Didn’t you just say that Thai food has lots of different textures? Taiwanese food can be similar. I never knew there were so many different textures from all the various bits of animals. Inuit has 72 words for snow (myth, I know), Taiwanese has 72 words for cartilage texture.

4 Likes

I don’t consider cartilage to be food

5 Likes

Pure coincidence in my case. I was travelling in Asia, saw an add that Taiwan was looking for licensed teachers, applied, got the job, and now I have been living in here.
Taiwan was not even on my list to visit initially :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I initially went to take a “year out” as an English teacher, but after my contract ended (which I didn’t want to renew because I concluded that I hated English teaching) I found a vacancy for an office job at a well known tech company in Taipei. The pay was less than I got as an English teacher and the hours were more, but this would have been my first ever office job and I knew that back in London I’d struggle to ever find a job like that because I was only really qualified to teach English. So my intention was to stay for a couple of years to get experience and then go back to London.

Well, I went back to London with experience as planned, but I’ve since spent every day back here wishing I was in Taiwan. :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

I was sent to Taiwan in the mid-nineties to manage manufacturing projects and do design work. When my employer wanted me to return to the U.S. in 2000 I opted to stay after realizing that, with Taiwan’s plethora of manufacturing resources, at 1/3 the cost and 1/3 the leadtime of what I was used to in the U.S., I could make a good living functioning in that niche. It required that I pick up Mandarin for it to work though, which I did. I worked for two years in a Taiwan tech company before I struck out on my own. Best decision I ever made.

16 Likes