Fake Degrees

There was a news item on a local news channel this lunchtime (Oct. 1st). It showed a foreigner being arrested. A Chinese friend said that it was for having fake papers from Thailand. Anyone got the skinny?

Apparently he had a forged degree bought in Thailand. It said something about some parents of his students suspecting he didn’t have a degree, so they did a little investigation and found out he didn’t - then reported him to the police. Sounds like bullshit to me - more likely he was grassed up by someone. Jilted girlfriend perhaps?

Perhaps it’s the start of a purge of illegal foreigners?

The irony is that Chinese/Taiwanese are well known for cheating at exams and faking diplomas but I guess we should start with purging the foreigners.

It reminds of when I lived in HK and how, as soon as the economy took a downward spiral, the Filipino maids salaries were cut first.

I want to come to Taiwan, but don’t have a degree. Is it better to use a fake diploma to get an ARC or get a student visa and work illegally?

It’s better if you don’t come. :unamused:

I don’t think you can do this – aren’t degrees required to be verified before they’re recognized by the authorities here?

I know some people whos been teaching in Taiwan on studentvisas for the last 3 years.Its not easy for them,but you can do it.Some people told me that you must have a 3 year degree plus TEFL to apply for an ARC these days.FORGET ABOUT A FAKE DEGREE.I THINK THERES A 2% CHANCE THAT IT WILL WORK

You don’t need a TEFL … at least you didn’t when I arrived in August. As for diplomas, mine didn’t have to be verified - I think the only ones that do are from South Africa, for political reasons.

Which is not to say I support faking it or even think it would work.

Mostly I agree with Closet Queen.

Brendon

The ANC dissed Taiwan in favour of China post-Apartheid. Recently, SA also dropped its policy of 90 days of visa-free travel for Taiwanese, but then abruptly did an about-turn on that. Maybe that’s got something to do with it as well. There was a short on it in the TT sometime this week.

And dragging this, kicking and screaming and fighting to the bitter end, even further off topic:

How much of a fuckup is the ARC process now, anyway? Has your friend just arrived, or is he continuing his contract? I ask because I’m re-signing at the end of next month, and don’t really feel like getting tangled up in bureaucratic tape. I had my degree sent back to Cape Town for verification in 2001 (so yeah, fake degrees are probably not the best option - phew! back on topic) when I first got my ARC, but as you say, all the faeces started being flung in January. I have two passports as well, so maybe I slip through (cheers, dad, for being a Brummie).

And back onto topic: Can’t you get a student ARC that allows for ten hours a week of teaching? This could be an unfounded rumour, though.

It’s better if you don’t come. :unamused:[/quote]

I agree. Not on that point, however. On the fake diploma one. If you don’t meet the qualifications, be honest about it. Don’t use forgery to get a job here. Ugh. Repulsive. And probably wants to teach children too. Despicable. :fume:

I don’t have a degree, or a TESL certificate. I happen to be here in Taiwan and need to get a job. Naturally, as an American I was thinking of teaching English. All the postings for jobs and places I interview seem to want me to have a bachelor’s degree. As you might have geussed I have just made one up, and written it down on my resume. Does anyone know if they will actually check? Or can they?

I realize this isn’t entirely honest, but I do have a reasonable enough grasp on the English language to teach the alphabet, or basic grammar. I just never really made it to college. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It’s the government who say you need a degree as one of the requirements for a work visa, and they will need proof.

I know many people in Taiwan who’s teaching on student visas.You must just find the right school.

You can teach with a two year degree and three years worth of work experience (in this case teaching experience). I had a friend who was able to do it last year.

Hmm. Thanks for the advice, but I don’t have a degree. No 2 years degree or anything. I didn’t go to college. What kind of proof is it??

Any ideas on getting around this. I’ve just been lying about it. I’ve seen the materials they use in the schools here, and you really don’t need a degree to teach at that level.

If it’s the government’s rule then am I just stuck working illegally. My residency here isn’t dependent on getting a job.

Teaching without a degree is illegal, as far as I know and that’s about as simple as it gets.

Well BFM…that is why I qualified my statement with 'as far as I know.’
And didn’t fred say he was an American? If he had said he was a local that would have generated a different response wouldn’t it? :wink:

Who does this guy think he is? Why would anybody on this form want to give you information on how to work illegally here in Taiwan anyway? I didn’t suffer through four years of university to come over here and listen to some lazy whiner talk about how he “just never made it to college” and expects the same pay as some one with an education.

The nerve of some foreigners on this island. Good luck at Subway, Fred.

Does anyone else agree with me, or am I jumping to conclusions here?

[quote=“Fred”]I don’t have a degree, or a TESL certificate. I happen to be here in Taiwan and need to get a job. Naturally, as an American I was thinking of teaching English. All the postings for jobs and places I interview seem to want me to have a bachelor’s degree. As you might have geussed I have just made one up, and written it down on my resume. Does anyone know if they will actually check? Or can they?

I realize this isn’t entirely honest, but I do have a reasonable enough grasp on the English language to teach the alphabet, or basic grammar. I just never really made it to college. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Try taking a few college courses. One I highly suggest: Ethics. Your gratitude is duly noted.