FIFA World Cup 2018

Oh, ok, not sure where you can watch games, but the local channels (Much TV, ELTA) will no doubt show the knock out games.

Good heavens, still waiting for my blood pressure to be low enough to sleep. Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest and we had quite some exciting games so far, concluding with that MĂ©xico feat. I can picture the celebrations.

Good win by Mexico, although I felt that Germany looked clearly the superior team. Good for my Korean team in that group. Hopefully Korea can make it out with Germany (which I still think is the beat team in the group barring a disaster) in that group.

Neymar is getting roughed up by Switzerland though. Kinda disappointed with him, this is suppose to be his breakout year to pave his name with the greats. Ronaldo just made his case as the best vs Messi.

I don’t watch it but I’m always here for frontrunner flopping.:rofl:

Is that a Feminist Faux-pas , a Freudian slip , or have you been reading Viz again ? :relaxed:
Very British trait to support the underdog methinks.

Neymar looked like a kid getting bullied. Awful night for him.

I’m no British, and it’s not really supporting the underdog. I just hate predictable storylines in any sort of competition. Same with the Oscars (which I actually follow) unless I stan the frontrunner. :joy:

And even in tax evasion, he is better than Messi:

Real Madrid and Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo has reportedly settled his tax fraud charges with Spanish authorities, agreeing to pay $21.7 million, or approximately €18.7 million, to stay out of prison and receive only a suspended two-year sentence. Ronaldo’s achievement breaks the tax evasion mark set by his greatest rival, Barcelona’s Lionel Messi, whose 2016 tax fraud conviction in Spain saw him only receive a 21-month suspended sentence, and a meager €8.75 million in fines between him and his father.

1 Like

Mexico had a game plan, Germany were docile. Neymar cares more about his hairstyle.

1 Like

Has anyone here mentioned ELTA yet? I got it up and running on one of these TV boxes (mine has TV.com on the top), do a search for ELTA TV and download it as an ap (it displays as 0$ and only for Taiwan), but has all the games live, although its all exclusively in Chinese.

2 Likes

Always shake my head when in Taiwan news they refer to the German national team as “German tanks.” :weary:

So far, some good games, but not that many goals. Obviously Spain-Portugal was the biggest hit. Stadiums are full, which is always good for the atmosphere. I think no red cards yet. No big controversies (VR refs have helped the refs on the field without any major wrong decisions), no major fan violence yet. So far a good World Cup, I would say. A shame that Holland and Italy are not there or Ireland and Chile, but the Iceland story is great and the gap between top teams and weaker teams seems to be smaller than in previous tournaments (except for Saudi Arabia, perhaps).

they are indeed very interesting games.
Esp/Por tie; Arg/Ice tie; Mex beating Ger; Swe beat SK; Bra/CH tie. I like these kinds of matches. Nothing has been guaranteed this early.

I don’t follow football culture besides watching big games and big name players when it’s on and I have time. But does Neymar have a reputation for being “soft”? in North American sports, he would be called soft.

They should have dual languages. Mine is, but I use MOD for ELTA

For those around SYS Memorial, I happened to have walked past this place on Sat night and ended up having a few drinks and catching the end of Australia/France & Iceland/Argentina. Good place, good vibes, good drinks, excellent staff.

https://goo.gl/maps/y5L9Lh51u9S2

My Argentchinos friends can’t stand the local sportscasters. they all switch to ENGLISH in ELTA for the commentaries - which are not great, but a lotta better.

I certainly don’t listen to Chinese commentary when watching football, especially when the broadcasters are not familiar with the players and everything. I meant that in the news they will say something like the “German tanks” lost against Mexico. Not related to anything that happened in the game, just a stupid stereotype they feel compelled to use every single time. Like saying the “Mexican amigos” all the time. The don’t do that, but they could.

I believe the VAR system was asleep when Kane was rugby tackled a few times in the box.

Neymar is a creative player, skillful with the ball, difficult to stop. Defenders will try to rough him up. Happens to a lot of players of his type. Flopping and exaggerating pain after being fouled is a bit of a defense mechanism. You try to get the defender being warned by the ref, so he won’t do it again the next time. Can’t really blame him for that, though I can’t stand watching players flop (think Ginobili).