FIFA World Cup 2018

Interesting comments by Bruce Arena about Panama.

I noticed the photos of the Korean player crying and I was like:“Oh poor guy, he really cares about the results of his team, he’s really attached to his national team’s shirt and wants to honor the…” then I read he was crying because if his team gets eliminated too soon he’ll have to join the army.

Dafuq.

Looking for offshore tax account clients!

Not entirely true, but why would the newspapers let facts get in the way of a good story? This Korean team where never likely to do much in this World Cup, and for anyone to get exemptions from military service, which the Koreans take very seriously, they would really need to get as far as the semis, and that was never on the cards.

The South Korean team which reached the semi-finals of the World Cup in 2002 (on home soil) were all granted exemptions, as are Olympic gold medal winners and gold medal winners at the Asian Games. The South Korea men’s team which won bronze at the London 2012 Olympics were also granted exemptions.

He may gain an exemption if they medal at the Asian games thoughm, which is in Aug/Sept in Indonesia. However he will then miss the start of his club season in England. However that is his best chance to do so, with the World Cup there was never a realistic chance.

God I hate Ronaldo. So happy he missed that pen.

1 Like

Both Spain and Portugal looked very beatable. But I think Russia is not good enough to win against Spain. Portugal-Uruguay can go either way. Loved watching Morrocco, probably the best of the teams from North Africa/Middle East. Salah of Egypt is a joy to watch, too bad he plays on a weak team. Ronaldo was lucky to not get the red card. The ref had a looong look at the monitor. I guess a less famous player might have been treated differently. That was a clear hit to the face of the Iranian player. Ronaldo was not going to head the ball or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btx6kBxS5lA

I don’t see that as a red card, I would like to see where the ball is though.

And I am a Messi fan boy lol

Yeah, probably, just saying that a lesser known player might have gotten a red card.

Belgium is going to lose to England so that the Belgians have an easier next round against weaker teams. :wink::expressionless:

several red cards indeed.

Good ideas where to watch tomorrow 22:00 close to main station?

Side Note: Several 7-11 here in Neihu are showing the games, funny thing…

Who gets top position and second in group H is anyone’s guess. If Japan lose to Poland and Colombia win against Senegal. Colombia go top of the group with either Japan or Senegal as runner up.

Actually looked up Belgium’s ratings on FIFA and ELO. They are high, 3rd and 7th respectively.

He looks like the type of guy that would get up during sex to check his hair.

1 Like

It would not be for the next round, but for the one after that. Columbia, Senegal, and Japan are all rather easy opponents. After that you have the choice between (most likely) Brazil/Germany or Switzerland/Mexico. If Belgium finishes top or the group, they are more likely to run into Brazil or Germany. Well they will know for sure once Groups E and F have played.

in the lead up to England v. Belgium this Thursday.
:popcorn:

France-Denmark was the worst game I have seen this tournament. Not as bad as Germany-Austria in Dijon back in 1982, but Denmark was clearly disinterested in going forward later in the second half. France was more willing and created some good chances.

Maybe FIFA and UEFA should think about making a slight rule change. No points for either team when a game ends 0-0. Would not have mattered in this game, but teams should not be rewarded for not scoring. Think about the thousands of fans paying a lot of money to attend a game like that.

Btw. I like the potential of Mbappe. France is one of the contenders. They will beat Argentina. Croatia will beat Denmark.

Hear hear. Not just in those two organizations, but in all of soccer. It beggars belief that fans part willingly with their time and their money to accept a 0-0 result.

I’m not sure if awarding the same amount of points for a defeat or a 0-0 draw would be viable…
Maybe something like:

defeat -> 0 points
0-0 -> 1 point
non 0-0 draw -> 2 points
victory -> 3 points

I think it’s still fair. Not scoring in a draw or scoring less then your opponent is equally bad. It might be a bit unfair to an inferior team that is able to hold a superior team to a goalless draw, but most often those weaker teams play brick wall defense, which is not pleasant to watch and should not be rewarded.

Got a feeling that South Korean sport fans might be a bit insufferable for some time.

Wow.

2 Likes