Filing Taxes in 2022

If you are leaving anyway, you shouldn’t worry much about your employee.
After all, you DID tell him upfront you didn’t want to do anything bogus.
When tax office come to knock on your door, will your boss give you any support?

From the FAQ, it also says this right before:

Foreigners should file their income tax returns and pay corresponding taxes to the district National Taxation Bureau (based on the address on their Alien Resident Certificate). which is why it’s confusing.

1 Like

If you are a non-citizen resident living in Taipei City, you are best advised to go to the big office, the National Tax Bureau on Zhonghua Road, steps from Beimen MRT Station (and also walkable from Ximen Station or Taipei Main Station if you prefer).

Guy

I think you can go to the Daan office. I went to the wrong office too, when I filed taxes for the first time. The lady accepted my forms and told me the correct office for the next time.
(That was in Fengyuan tho.)

2 Likes

I always use the E-Filing software. It is awful.

I never download any actual tax data.

I use what my employer provided me and enter it manually. There is no need to have any codes.

Quick question. I helped someone file their taxes online yesterday using their old ARC number (because that’s the number on their NHI card used to file), although they do also have the new number, and they’re due a refund.

Am I correct in thinking that the bank account used for the refund should match the old ARC number, or does it not matter? They have several bank accounts registered to their new number and one still registered to their old number, but they didn’t have the details for the latter to hand yesterday and I’m eager to upload the data, close the tax software, and change my region settings back.

1 Like

It matters! When I went to the tax office, they had a poster there at the foreigner desk explicitly saying the ID number you file with must be the same as the bank account for the tax refund.

6 Likes

From my personal experience they are very strict when sending your refund. Once after naturalization my ID changed. So, I did not receive my refund to my bank account because I had to use my old ID when filling tax report. The transaction was simply declined by the bank because I already updated my personal data there. But later I got mail from tax bureau to come and take my refund check instead.

3 Likes

I imagine this will happen to a lot of foreigners this year who did not realize this rule. They should really put that on the online filing system. I would have made the same mistake too if I didn’t file in person.

1 Like

I wanted to just go to the tax office and have the volunteers there do the thing, usually takes like 10 minutes. So I went, but when I saw the tents outside and people in protective gear I decided to go back home and do it online instead, hoping that it would be less hassle now than it was the last time I did it online a few years ago. Because progress, right?

Why the F on earth don’t they support WINDOWS of all systems out there?

And it works for locals on the Chinese language site.

:rage:

I really don’t want to download their early-90s vibe offline sh*t.

4 Likes

Yep, the web portal for foreigners only supports Mac and Linux. Real shame because it’s miles better than the desktop version. I think it’s because they made the web portal because Mac and Linux users couldn’t use the desktop version, and when making it, they just didn’t do whatever they needed to do to make it accessible to Windows users, because Windows users can use the desktop one. I imagine, in the future, the web portal will be available for all operating systems, and they will EOL the Windows desktop version. For Taiwanese, they can use the web version on their Android or iOS devices too… real shame we can’t do that! Maybe in a few more years.

2 Likes

I just went to tax office bureau last Wednesday and everything went well no headache, no complaint.

9 Likes

I was put off too by the usual “epidemic prevention” show when I went to the Tax Bureau in person, but don’t worry too much about it. It’s just a show with nothing more than temperature checking.

4 Likes

No, unfortunately not.

Guy

there is a way, from a windows machine, using Chrome and Devtools to emulate using a tablet

2 Likes
2 Likes

Every year I get PTSD from this complete POS software.

3 Likes

What sort of a f%$king idiot implemented this garbage? I have downloaded the HiCos crap, again, I have installed, I have restarted, it worked last year… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

That’s it for another year, could have been so much simpler if they had employed even a semi-competent programmer…

2 Likes

Just to confirm, the filing period has been extended to the end of June, right?

2 Likes