Filing Taxes in 2022

Went to the Beimen office today, pretty empty inside. 10 minutes and done.

2 Likes

They were always in a pile when I used to go. Always took a few just in case I messed up.

2 Likes

Great that’s what I was hoping for

I’m a Mac user but don’t have NHI card yet and no bank card.
I’m new back in town, order paper version this time, I did online in U.K. for years was zilch.
I’m not even sure I have to do a 2021 return? only been back 6 weeks earned nothing as yet.
I’m registered as a Ltd business.

If you’re in Taiwan for less than 90 days per tax year (=calendar year) and haven’t earned any income from local employers, you usually do not need to file taxes.

If you’ve lived in the UK (which has a double taxation agreement with Taiwan), it could even be longer than that if you’re still seen as a tax resident in the UK. But in those cases, you should still talk to the tax office.

*if this business is registered outside Taiwan. Otherwise, you probably still need to file.

I always ask for a couple, and have never been denied. :person_shrugging:

Guy

2 Likes

Dammit more anti-bear hysteria.

2 Likes

New Business was registered in Taiwan November 2021by Power of Attorney in my absence because of Taiwan border closure.
Even though I wasn’t in Taiwan or doing any business I still have to report VAT bi monthly in my absence! My CPA does that part.

1 Like

Ok had a trip to the tax office and they told me I have to pay 18% tax on my income from the U.K. since august 2019 because I stayed over 90 days. I stayed over 90 days as a tourist on the government extended 30 day Covid 19 extension. And I will have to pay same for all future payments from my property rental money that is less than ntd38000 for each day I stay.
They want ntd146000 now.

Was that salary income or something else? If it’s rental income it would be worth checking that and what deductions, if any, are applicable.

I don’t understand what you wrote there. What does that mean?

Doesn’t make sense. Haven’t you already paid tax on the rental income in the Uk?

I’m back in Taiwan after 10 months away, I still receive U.K. rental money that is less than ntd38000 a month so they want to tax that at 18% whilst I live in Taiwan.

On top of any earnings I get here!

Yes, I’m going to show them my tax return copies. That clearly state house rental and not business,
She has to be wrong? if not I’m off back to Blighty

If you paid tax on it there which you have to then surely you can’t be taxed again. There must be a double taxation agreement.

How do they even know about your rental income from the Uk?

2 Likes

Asked me what I lived on with no job.

I’d be looking into this a bit more before paying if I were you. I imagine there are probably previous threads on here about overseas rental income. The tax office staff are helpful but not always the most knowledgeable about overseas stuff, or the most eager to explain the various deductions, exemptions, and exceptions available.

The Income Tax Act states:

Article 8: The term “income from sources in the Republic of China” used in this Act refers to income of the following categories:

5. Rental obtained from lease of property situated within the territory of the Republic of China;

Also (from here):

Rental income
Rental and royalty income is taxed net of certain necessary expenses. A standard percentage is allowed as a deduction from rental income if preferred. The current deduction is 43 percent of the gross rental income.

From what you’ve written, it seems like they’re trying to tax overseas rental income in the same way as salary income earned inside Taiwan. I’m not 100% sure that’s wrong, but I’d definitely be looking into it.

2 Likes

I think the correct answer here was “savings”, but it must be satisfying to be the first person in Taiwan to declare rental income, let alone overseas rental income.

7 Likes

Well I could have said savings, however I’ve set up a limited company in Taiwan and she wanted to know where salary came from with no earnings as yet.
Plus I had lived in Taiwan for 22 months beforehand with no job. I look old enough to say pension, but she wants to see bank statements and all shit to prove.
I got the wrong tax clerk or I’m a ducking twat, whichever Taiwan had lost my business and money.

Anyhow I’ll close business and fuck off if they insist on it, means never be able to enter Taiwan again but that’s their problem not mine.

Taiwan an UK have a tax treaty if I remember right which should prevent double taxation. But at this point, you probably need to talk to a professional unfortunately.

If you only stayed in Taiwan for a bit over 90 days, I would try to argue that in that year, you were still a UK resident.