First date etiquette in Taiwan on splitting bill

If you don’t mind saying, which restaurant was it? I take my wife and kid to a really expensive restaurant at the end of each year, and I’m trying to find somewhere suitable now.

The yen on top of W hotel. They serve good duck for dinner but you have to book ahead of time. For lunch it’s individual dishes or dim sum. I’ve been there twice and service is always good and they speak English. I can also recommend Yuan Yuan at grand hotel.

1 Like

@BiggusDickus if you book ahead of time ask for window seats! That’s worth half the price of admission. Sometimes they refuse and say it’s for hotel guests. Depends on the time.

My wife tends not to go for Chinese food, but it does look good.

How did you manage to get to 6k for two? You must have ordered loads, or expensive wine?

If you like Peking Duck* then you should try the Three Coins near Taipei Main. Outstanding!

EDIT: should really call it Cantonese Roasted Duck

1 Like

We ordered dim sum and some of the individual dishes, with lots of left over. Also they charge service fee and tip.

:wink:

Paying 6k for a meal with a woman you never met before, LMAO
but best of luck

2 Likes

But he got his tip in. In a country where there is (with very, very few exceptions) no tipping. That counts for something, right? :joy:

Are you still thinking she might be “the one”? She sounds a bit tedious, especially for a NT$6k brunch…

1 Like

Yeah, why the tip? Here’s a tip: No tips in Taiwan. :man_facepalming:

I’ve dined at the restaurant the OP claims to have gone to. There was no “service fee and tip” added to the bill as he suggested. Tipping is exceptionally uncommon here. It can be taken as a bit of an insult if you offer.

Make of that what you will as it relates to the OP’s authenticity.

1 Like

I found that in Taiwan, when there is a group meal everyone is supposed to go and volunteer to pay for everyone. So one guy will say “I got it” and another guy will insist that it’s not necessary or he got it… I find it very hard to get used to this to say the least. If you don’t volunteer then they all think you’re a freaking miser.

Oh while a 10% service charge is usually added for most restaurants (not fast food or bian dang), there is NO tip or tax added to any bills.

I like to know where you can spend 6000 for 2 at a restaurant in Taipei. I hope it was all you can eat steak.

You couldn’t even spend 3000 for 2 at Chilli’s, and that’s pretty much ordering very expensive food (like steak).

1 Like

Yep. Insane, unless you are rich people and like rich people small portion cuisine.

Maybe he was dining at a Michelin 5 star restaurant?? You know where you have to make reservations far ahead of time and the chefs have to prepare for your arrival. And you pretty much get blacklisted (or penalized in some way) for missing reservations. Not something average person eats at. Definitely not dim sum unless it was some seriously high class dim sum. You couldn’t even spend that at Dim Sum places in the US and those kind of foods cost more there! 200US is like for a party of 5 or 6.

I once went to a place that charged 1500 per person. It was a Japanese restaurant, and the food was really nice. But somebody else was paying. There’s no way in the world that I’m forking out even 500 for dinner. There are enough great places to eat for less. And that’s not stinginess. Mere practicality. Good food doesn’t have to cost more.

Disagree here, for example at Hanlin it usually costs around 1000-1200 for two people but there is no way you find such good meals in Taiwan for 200 per person.

I’ve been to Yen, which is the restaurant the OP claims to have taken his date to. 2 people could easily cost more than $6,000, especially if you do one of their set dinners, order a bottle of wine, etc., but the OP’s story about ordering too much food and having leftovers for lunch is a bit much. I recall that when I went, they had a lunch set that was somewhere around $1,500 pp.

1500 a person is still far less than 6000 for two. Unless they were dining on blue fin tunas the whole meal.

Glad it worked out. I had this situation a few years ago. First date I chose a casual brunch place. They asked you to order at the counter and pay first. She ordered for us and got some expensive drink. She paid for mine too. I insisted but she declined. Never saw her again.

I want that disappointed but talk about awkward. Try paying for the meal when you’ve just met