Foreign English teacher kicks elderly woman's suitcase, curses Taiwanese on Taipei MRT

There was once a time when this kind of jackassery was roundly condemned by the expat community. Now there seems to be a fresh crop of apologists for poor social skills. Says a lot about people nowadays.

2 Likes

Maybe he woke up this morning and his wife made another comment about how unhappy she is and how she is thinking of leaving him. Maybe his in-laws have been telling his wife that he needs to earn more money again. Maybe a friend back home had died.

We donā€™t know his situation. We all have had days where things went going right and we lost it in public. Doesnā€™t necessarily mean he is a bad person or has character problems.

I think we should all at least try to be empathetic.

2 Likes

Check out Roger Righteous.

1 Like

ā€œA shitty life is no excuse for a shitty behaviorā€

3 Likes

Not to mention what actually happened at the scene.

2 Likes

True, but doesnt make you a shitty person. People need to calm down with all the judgments.

This is what bothers me about the story. Can we trust the local media to give a fair account of what happened? For all we know, the old lady ran over his feet with her suitcase firstā€¦or swore at him in Taiwanese for asking her to move her suitcase out of the way.

4 Likes

ā€¦which BTW I found out from the discussions on line that it is actually FORBIDDEN to take your luggage/shopping cart/anything humongous and on wheels on the escalators.

TBH, I do it all the time and I hadnā€™t given it a thought because I also see locals doing it all the time and no one blinks.

1 Like

Donā€™t come crying to us when you get cussed out by some rando pencilnecked kindy teacher then, Tiaā€¦

Jackassery like this has always been a problem with some foreigners here. The acceptance of it as normal has not. This is a relatively new phenomenon.

Then I play up the victim, and the amas come to my rescue. He will be doomed.

Iā€™ve gone local.

Refusal to accept the local media narrative does not equate to acceptance of bad behavior. Maybe throwing other foreigners under the bus for brownie points is going out of style.

5 Likes

why? its perfectly fair. iā€™m also polite to polite people. i just donā€™t see why i should let some asshole have their way and push in when it takes very little to be considerate.

i just do it the other taiwanese way and pretend iā€™m oblivious.

Maybe people will start to get the message that you want to stay out of foreignersā€™ way. Or youā€™ll get the finger, wind up on TVBS and have to go to the police station. Hen ma fan.

No. As I said, how would they write the story if he had unintentionally hit or kicked her luggage? Probably not differently: ā€œAn English teacher kicks an old womanā€™s luggageā€.

2 Likes

I agree. If I hear one more weak tea ā€œhe was having a bad dayā€ excuse, Iā€™ll kick an old personā€™s suitcase.

The double standard is really kinda crazy. I canā€™t imagine how people would react here if a Taiwanese guy was flipping the bird to foreigners and yelling ā€œfuck all you foreignersā€, even if a dumb white lady with a suitcase was blocking the escalator. Would everyone be as ready with the book of excuses then? :thinking:

And enough about the Spanish dude in Kenting. Thatā€™s a terrible injustice. It doesnā€™t make this okay or excusable though. This guy sucks and I hope he goes home.

(And Iā€™m not going to automatically defend every foreigner, like weā€™re in a crips gang. A jackass is a jackass, whether heā€™s Taiwanese or a white dude from the US)

1 Like

I loved the video of the guy who was part of a protest and claimed to have been choked, so he went to police station to file charges. Once video came out of him doing it to himselfā€¦classic.

Nothing will everā€¦EVERā€¦beat this:

1 Like