Forumosa poster base too narrow?

Could be. It does amuse me that I’ve often recommended the site to people, yet much less often told them who I actually am on it.

1 Like

An English speaking forum designed for foreigners is by definition going to be a bit narrow in terms of diversity.

However, I don’t think we’re all middle aged whitey crusty old men. We’ve got Taiwanese posters, overseas born Taiwanese, possibly not many posters of color - I can’t tell if that’s the case. We’ve even got Snoopy.

The one group we don’t have many of is women. IMO that’s mainly down to demographics, but it could be down to women feeling intimidated.

3 Likes

Yeah there’s a lot of characterization here of middle aged white blah blah. There’s a good mix on here there’s a lot of people with Asian background too. Also middle aged means what exactly.

There’s very few foreign female white collar workers in Taiwan it’s all there in the stats above. They don’t often marry local guys either.

2 Likes

They just hang out in the women’s forum?!

I don’t think I’ve posted in IP forum. Mainly sports and religion. The sports forum is relaxing as it’s generally kept free of politics and religion. The religious forum is good as you can talk about your religion or lack of it without too much judgement. IP I generally stay clear. Exception the Brexit thread ha (I didn’t know that was in IP)

From what I’ve heard there’s nothing happening in the Women’s Forum. I can’t be sure, though.

during the past 1 year

Total 27237 users
3879 users with 1 d or more login
3151 users with less than 10 d login
274 users with more than 100 d login
100 users with more than 300 d login

973 users created 1 or more topics
579 users created single topic
133 users created two topics
Top 100 users created 7~342 topics
Median topic number of top 100 users is 13

1352 users posted 1 or more replies
586 users posted 1 or two replies
366 users posted 3~9 replies
217 users posted 10~50 replies
Top 100 users posted 227~11800 replies
Median reply number of top 100 users is 760

Total 3571 topics
342 (9.5%) topics by top 1
929 (29%) topics by top 10
1782 (50%) by top 50
2230 (62%) by top 100
2486 (70%) by top 150

Total 165296 replies
11800 (7.1%) by top 1
59500 (36%) by top 10
126766 (77%) by top 50
148338 (90%) by top 100
155644 (94%) by top 150

6 Likes

Huh. Cool, I guess I’m part of the 1%! (Don’t check my math.) And I guess everyone else who posts in this thread is too.

As mentioned above, I don’t think there are nearly as many foreign women who come to Taiwan and stick around for the long haul. So there’s that. But there’s also a fair bit of brazen misogyny on the website, and that tends to drive women away.

I wonder if we’ll ever hear anything again from the girl who wanted to know whether she should tell her boyfriend she isn’t a virgin…her thread got to be kind of a shitshow.

8 Likes

And that’s why I think you deserve the Trust Level 4 badge, @tando!

It’s tricky to know whether threads like that are for real. Who asks such a question?

2 Likes

True. It seemed like bait, and even I couldn’t resist a bit of shitposting. But the more she posted the more it seemed like she was asking in earnest…

I suppose we’ll never know.

2 Likes

I don’t think that is the reason, posters treat female posters with kids gloves imo. I just don’t think this is interesting to them.

1 Like

And just not that many Western women in Taiwan (I think the forum is generally less interesting to women from other Asian countries). If I was a Western woman, I probably wouldn’t want to live in Taiwan either.

1 Like

I agree. I don’t think western women would find Taiwanese men attractive either. Could be a contributing factor.

Hey, some of us are western women who are married to Taiwanese men and we find them very attractive :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But I do think the majority of the posts on Forumosa are less interesting to me. I tend to be more of a lurker.

10 Likes

Haha we flushed you out lurker.

1 Like

This is the kind of story we need to hear more about. :grin:

2 Likes

I know four white women married to Taiwanese guys. Having said that, I probably know somewhere around 30 white guys married to Taiwanese women. I know two black guys married to Taiwanese women and one Muslim guy married to a Taiwanese woman.

I’m not sure where I’m going with this.

1 Like

Couple’s therapy?

5 Likes