Forumosa vs. Taiwaneasy, Forumosa then vs. now

He’s a new slogan MIGA (Make Iran Great Again)

1 Like

Wrong president. That was Obama’s slogan.

2 Likes

He just said it yesterday, or the day before in an ‘interview’ walk to his chopper!

1 Like

Congratulations. You are now on an FBI watch list.

Yeah. @BiggusDickus is also not wrong. There were some changes last year on the tech side. I’m dealing now with some of the fallout from that. I want to get things up and running again, but without some of the mistakes that have been made in the past.

Regarding any ill-will between Taiwaneasy and Forumosa, at this point there is none, certainly not with me. I left my partnership with Gus years ago because of different goals/directions, whatever. He’s a good guy and for the 2000s the site grew like gangbusters and was a great part of my life. But things changed and I moved on. Forumosa today is very different than it was in the past. It has succeeded in staying afloat in an online world that is dominated by Facebook, and for that alone should be applauded. It (and other forums) still have too much anonymity for my taste, so I don’t post as much on forums anymore.

I still think there’s more that can be done, and guided by the mistakes of my past, maybe I can still do something meaningful and relevant for the community. I hope so. Thanks for comments, let me know if there’s anything you think I should be doing that Forumosa isn’t.

15 Likes

Thank you for the post, its great to hear these things from the key player. As for your question, surely you’ve had more than 5 years to think about this. But it still seems that its a duplicate effort and there is no room for 2 sites doing essentially the same thing despite your sincere efforts not for it to be such. Its like Windows Mobile trying to co-exist with Android when there is only room for 1 non-Apple mobile OS.

1 Like

I guess some posters posted here and than went to the other and posted about the same there.

1 Like

Maybe Mao-the-man can reconcile with Gus-also-the-man and forumosa can be the same again. All that really changes is change itself…that sort of thing.

Did you smoke something?

Someone posted the cover (maybe both covers–I forget) of this album in the midst of a thread about some other stuff. I think the poster, a relative newcomer, may have been upset with us because he had asked for help about something and no one had responded (but that’s pure speculation on my part). I think I spent a couple of months sort of weighing the equities–the group had some fans on our board, Germany was the only country to ban the cover, it didn’t seem likely that the board would get in trouble over it, and after all it was really none of my business, etc. I didn’t flag it; I just reported it to the administrator, and he deleted it.

A woman started a thread asking how to earn money in Taiwan, and someone responded with “Do you have a vagina?” I flagged that post.

Flagging it’s just another way to report it to the administrator. There was no much difference on how you’ve acted on both accounts.

1 Like

My wild guess is that @maoman wants a board that leads to and combines with in-real-life relationships.

I don’t wish to presume , but @maoman seemed pretty happy with things in general when I met up with him recently. The past is the past and people just go down different paths . I think that Forumosa is not the priority in the @GooseEgg household and Taiwaneasy not the priority in the @maoman household . They both have families that are growing up …we are probably a lot less mature than their respective children :smiley: When I say ,“we”, I mean “me” .:yum:

2 Likes

:doh:

1 Like

I didn’t mean to imply that @maoman was unhappy. :slight_smile: I was trying to hint that @maoman might not be so concerned with whether the on-the-board effort seemed duplicated if his main interest was in real-life interactions.

I think I somehow I got that impression from one or more of his posts that I encountered here over the past fifteen years. He didn’t post about that sort of thing all the time, but I recall reading something along those lines, and that idea was supported by the existence of some groups that the board fostered–and, I guess, by happy hours.

If real-life interaction is the goal, then there is no point in Taiwaneasy ever coming back. And even if they want to interact via the internet but with real-life identities (or at least something closer to real-life identities), that already exists. Facebook, etc…Me guess Taiwaneasy is dead & buried for good if ‘real-life interaction’ is the real goal.

It’s me! I am omnipresent, omnipotent and simultaneously every age and ageless. I am Schrödinger’s Age.

I’m not going to make any predictions, but this is what I meant when I wrote, “My wild guess is that @maoman wants a board that leads to and combines with in-real-life relationships”:

I’m not advocating for or against that kind of vision for a bulletin board. I don’t know anything about the care and feeding of bulletin boards, so I’m not qualified to advocate one way or the other. I’m just saying that I think that’s what @maoman wanted in a bulletin board, and my guess is, that’s what he still wants.

It’s a pity the way things have ended up with Taiwaneasy but I think Maoman should be commended for his considerable efforts. I don’t blame any posters here for criticising the split but thus is the benefit of hindsight. One thing that recent posters here tend to forget is the silent third element in the story - tealit. For so many years, the main expat entry site, it really let the community down by being so anonymous. The owners never introduced themselves, never stepped forward for community events, etc. There seemed to be a market opening for a more engaged site - one that provided the nuts and bolts advice of visas, job ads, rentals and such, but one that was also more community minded. This is what was really behind the split between Gus and Maoman. The former happy to cruise, and the latter looking to seize the day. That’s all, no personal dramas, and the rumour about the tussle over the hot Japanese exchange student called Chu-mi was never backed up with any hard evidence.

4 Likes