Gangsters making big money from prostitution

Kipling?

Obviously it couldn’t logically be the oldest profession. You can’t pay/barter for something if you don’t have anything to pay/barter with.

More accurately it’s one of the oldest.

Oldest: Betel nut vendor

Money lender.

1 Like

Religious leader, and no tax.

Yes, but as many divorced women will tell you, they too are not sure a real connection was ever made.

Sex is like 0.8764 degrees removed from violence. Its home in the human brain is so ancient that, along with violence, it’s the human behavior that every human understands without question.

I think it’s so fundamental to humanity that there is almost zero understanding to be had in analyzing, or even thinking about any “real” connections made or not made.

Sex just is.

1 Like

Some people can feel a real connection during sex. That connection can change over time, of course.

I’m not totally discounting the possibility of a connection between a sex worker and their punter. There’s always an outlier, but probably the punter is kidding themself.

Yes, of course, but we’re going to argue now about what a “real” connection means. I think it’s always an illusion of the kind that, as a human I don’t like to think about all that much. Of course I would much prefer to think a “real” connection is made, but unfortunately I have real doubts.

1 Like

Hmm, even legit businesses and individuals report their incomes as “conservatively” as possible.

I would be surprised if either crims or victims would report correctly. Both have obvious motivations to do this, the first to have to lose less to gov’t, the second to better negotiate fees in the future with the new cops on the beat.

Fify hehe

1 Like

I’m not going to argue with you about what a “real” connection means. It’s subjective and you have doubts about it.

Weren’t the stinky guys around here arguing that prostitution should be legal?

Laughable. Nordic countries BAN prostitution because they know better.

Completely fair. Cheers.

Perceived connections from sex are most likely confused with being on a sexual high. During sex your body is releasing all kinds of endorphins. Your brain and body is experiencing a natural sexual rush. Coming off that high, you see the other person as the “one” who helped you feel this way. Then in a matter of minutes, hours, days … It’s gone. Poof. Until your next sexual high.

Can a spiritual, emotional, mental connection happen from sex? Sure. But not as likely when one is going in with the mindset it’s just a business transaction.

I think most people know what they are after when doing the deed with payment and most don’t expect it to end with obtaining a GF or spouse.

Did you mean punter or pumper ?

I’d guess the word is ‘self-deception’ rather than ‘self-loathing’. I’m painfully aware of my ageing body not looking quite like it did 30 years ago, but OTOH it’s not that far off. My face has a more lived-in look that I prefer over my babyfaced teenage self. Basically, I can still look in the bathroom mirror without wincing. Diet and exercise (and dim lighting) will get you a long way, and a healthy dose of self-acceptance gets you the rest of the distance.

As for some men being at the bottom of the heap, that’s inevitably so … but then again, so are some women. Maybe what’s required is a hookup app for ugly people with no game?

I think if you’re just not very attractive even when you try really hard as a guy. You can still do really well if you’re competent at something, and usually being good at something results in you being paid well for it which also helps. But a lot of guys just kind of give up.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m thinking of people like Simon Pegg who aren’t classically attractive but are probably beating off women with a stick. They have personality, talent, and money. Those things are attractive, and they can be acquired by anyone (up to a point) with hard work, whatever hand you were dealt in the genetic lottery. The mating game requires an enormous investment of time and effort whatever species you are; humans seem to be unique in their ability to just flake out.

Since Pegg’s got off the sauce he’s freaking ripped.

Maybe not so uniquely human

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2012/03/sexually-rejected-flies-turn-booze

1 Like