Get Ready For The Flu!

I think BD has really strong immunity.

The same logic applies with HIV?

Flu jabs are economically loss-makers with every demographic other than the very old and the very young.

Oh, and you’re wrong with the herd mentality analogy. Flu jabs are not the same as other vaccines. As a, presumably, healthy adult you only have 60% cover (according to the producers). It’s nowhere near full coverage. Flu jabs are solely personal protection.

I got a flu jab in the UK. It made me ill for a day or two. Then I got flu two months later. I’m not anti-vaccine, but that was twice the arse ache

I always get a flu shot, so guess I’ll have to hunt one down here in Hsinchu.

The antigens in flu shots are usually a mix of antigens for whatever strains of flu are forecasted to be a problem next winter. Sometimes the prediction doesn’t manage to account for that one strain that mutates to become a real problem. That can lead to contracting flu even after getting a flu shot.

In 2008 (or so) this happened to me. But the flu shot really bailed me out. I had the flu for about 18 hours, and the next morning it was gone. While people who got the full strain were violently sick for several days, I just felt like shit one afternoon, went home early, and went to bed where I slept for more than 12 hours and woke almost as good as new. I think getting a flu shot is a very good idea.

I am in no way anti vaccine. Flu jabs, however, I think are a waste of time with healthy adults. They’re a money-spinner, but have little effect on flu rates within that demographic. Only exception would be healthcare workers.

1 Like

I wholly agree.

What’s interesting for me is that my healthcare working friends are always the ones pushing these flu shots, even if it is of no immediate or even tertiary benefit to them (that I can tell.) could there be a legitimate reason why these guys keep telling their friends (in my case at least) to get immunized?

They believe flu jabs have a positive effect, and they are right.

1 Like

The internal medicine wards are bombarded with pneumonia patients during the winter season. Sadly some of these patients die from the flu. Common cold causes life even in developed countries. It is difficult to prevent heart attack, stroke, and cancer. A vaccine that can possibly prevent death is definitely worth pursuing.
The profit margin for administering the flu vaccine is very very slim since it is supplied by the local health department. As a medical doctor I am a huge advocate of vaccinations. Herpes zoster, Human Papilloma Virus, Hepatitis B, Flu vaccine are all recent medical break throughs which are changing modern medicine.

4 Likes

Vaccines are great. However, I would argue that healthy adults shouldn’t be shoulder barging their way to get a flu jab.

1 Like

unless they have constant contact to vulnerable people.

1 Like

Or, worse, taking shots away from high risk groups.

1 Like

Other than last year when there were so many issues with faulty batches there is typically too much vaccine in Taiwan, come Feb/Mar they’ll be begging people to take the shot to avoid wasting it.

Pneumonia or lung cancer?
Tough choice

touchĂ©. but isn’t cancer also caused by all those cheap shitty oils our food is cooked in?

1 Like

Seems we are doomed no matter what

You can take some traditional medicine, all your cancers will be gone in no time /s

1 Like

Makes sense. I mean, one can’t have lung cancer if one has no lungs, right?

Anyone got their shots yet this year? The government has apparently very generously provided 6 million shots free to those considered vulnerable (using our taxes) and 1 million shots for those of us who have to pay (again). Looks like there’s a larger than normal uptake this year. linky

Called a few local clinics and none of them have paid stock available nor know if they will, will try hospitals next. Kids got their “free” shots today.

2 Likes

Getting my shot next week. Hate being sick and will do anything to avoid it, so I always book it as soon as I’m able to.

4 Likes