Getting kicked out - HELP!

Well this isnt a TV show and this aint America either. You can test that walking out bit but you will then get handcuffed to the rails.

You mentioned applying for a spouse visa, so does this mean you have a spouse here with an ARC or ROC nationality. Spouse visa’s issued from a foreign spouse still need work permits afaik.

I was in an internet cafe shop a few years back when the cops walked in and asked everybody to show their identification. A smart arse canadian told the cops to fuck off. They took him down to the police station where he got a free night handcuffed to the rail.

He was all indignant and spouting forth but in Canada didnt have to show ID yada yada yada… By law you have to carry your ARC. He had one but didnt carry it. A free night handcuffed to a rail and a fine was his end result.

At the time the cops were just cracking down on underage students being at internet cafe’s after 12am.

We have finally been making some progress with all the letters everyone has been writing to the newspapers and all the phone calls everyone has been making. Good work!!

If you have been deported, the Taipei Times is interested in interviewing you. Please email AppealinTaiwan@yahoo.com and we will call you first to be sure you want to talk with them and then pass your information on. It’s important that we get as many individual stories into the paper as possible.

In particular, Toufuren, SpunkeyMonkey, Phillipe and Canadian Girl and friends, we would like you to be involved. We also know from various people that there are AT LEAST another 10 people who have been deported. If anyone knows these people, please have them contact us.

Again, please email AppealinTaiwan@yahoo.com
If we all work together, it can make a difference!!

Keep writing letters to the editor and calling the numbers we have been posting. It’s a slow process, but we can make a difference!

I’m aware of that, but I was using it as an example so that other people would understand. Anytime that something unusual happens here that doesn’t make sense, I usually make a point of shrugging my shoulders and saying, “That’s Taiwan!”. I know things are done differently here, so I have to accept it.

afaik??? What is that?

My husband does have an ARC, so I could return. However, I wouldn’t be able to work according to the letter I received, so it’s not an option for us.

Too bad about your friend, though. I’m not in the habit of telling cops where to shove it, though.

Thanks for the info. I have sent an e-mail to them.

By the way, I was incorrect in my earlier posts. My boss had informed me that the decision was overturned and that we could stay. This is incorrect, and she was lying to me. (well, not the first time she has lied to me)

Turns out that the council (whoever makes the ruling on these things) have agreed that the police have acted incorrectly and didn’t follow regulations. They have made up a rough draft of a letter to allow us to stay and maybe teach until the appeal is completed, but they haven’t made a final decision yet! My boss is just ‘really hopeful’ that things will go her/our way. If it does go her/our way, then they will finalize the letter and make it official. The stamp is still on my passport, so I have no hope of staying here legally.

So, I am going through the same process as everyone else, but just on an accelerated schedule, it seems. My final result is still the same: I’m going back to Canada. My co-workers’ results are still up in the air, depending on the final appeal.

They could void their own chop if they made a mistake. I’ve got a void chop on another chop in my passport because they screwed up in my passport.

A chop-chop here,
A chop-chop there.
Here a chop,
There a chop,
Everywhere a chop-chop…

I think I’m finally cracking up… :slight_smile:

Farewell everyone!

Thanks for the support, and now I’m off to Thailand for a well-deserved break! If anyone has any more questions for me, it’s be best to e-mail me at idania@gmail.com .

Cheers!

Thanks for all the info you have posted so far. I hope all goes well for you no matter what your decision is. Have a good time in Thailand. I just got back from two weeks on the beach in Koh Chang and had no problem getting a tourist visa.

good luck

Are you back in Taiwan tofuren? That’s excellent you could get a visa from the Bangkok TECO office.

Just got back from the ministry of foreign affairs and they’ve extended my student visa until february!! I couldn’t believe it!

That should be enough time to hear what happens with the appeal so fingers crossed that will work out for me.

ey.gov.tw/web92/upload/hope-form.doc

the above is a link to the official document you need to use for an appeal.

If you make an appeal it has to go to the executive yuan on

100 台北市忠孝東路一段1號 總機電話:02-33566500

and the council of labour affairs (CLA) on

台北市大同區延平北路2段83號9樓 總機 :02-8590-2866

You need to include a supporting statement to say how and why your conviction is wrong. The CLA will write a statement to say why the conviction is correct and this will go to the executive yuan who will then make a decision. The whole process should take between 2-3 months.

Hope this can be of help to anyone in the same boat

good news Spunkmonk–

So you had a student visa just good for 60 days, but showed the ministry of foreign affairs that you were going through an appeal process and they gave you an extension?

This question may not be something you can answer and I might just have to try it out, but just incase someone knows something:
I have my limited 60 day visa - no extensioin - single entry. Do you think I might be able to get sign up for a school and change it over to a student visa? I fso what would be a good school --SHiDa?

tofuren,

You’d still have to make a visa run.

I’d love to sit down with both of you at your convenience to understand more of the process as you guys experienced. Any information would be so helpful.

Just let me know if that’s possible.

Thanks,
=YC

sure - I have the time. Anyone else?

Great news. Hopefully others who are in the same situation can also get extentions. Now to see what happens with the appeals process. Perhaps now that you have a student visa the appeal can flounder.

Soon you’ll be able answer all the questions in Chinese too :smiley: :smiley:

tourfen

i came back from myvisa run with a non-extendable 60 day student visa to study at CLI. I went to the ministry of foriegn affairs with the proof i had been studying and a letter to beg for an extension. I didn’t think it would work but they gave me it. I didn’t mention the appeal or that i had been caught.

However, you can get an extendable student visa if you sign up to study at a university but not at CLI. The advantage of going to CLI is that you don’t need to go to the class, they will just let you sign the sheet every week as if you had been there.

tourfen

i came back from myvisa run with a non-extendable 60 day student visa to study at CLI. I went to the ministry of foriegn affairs with the proof i had been studying and a letter to beg for an extension. I didn’t think it would work but they gave me it. I didn’t mention the appeal or that i had been caught.

However, you can get an extendable student visa if you sign up to study at a university but not at CLI. The advantage of going to CLI is that you don’t need to go to the class, they will just let you sign the sheet every week as if you had been there.

Maybe that’s why there has been a change in the visa rules. Too much blatent using a student visa to go teaching and not studying. It’s been quite common for people who wanted to only stay less than a year or for those with no degree who can’t get an ARC to teach.

To Spunkymonkey and Tofuren;
Can you guys get in touch with me asap at AppealinTaiwan@yahoo.com? I must leave the country on Friday but I would have a few questions for you before I do so. Please leave me your name and phone numbers, and I will contact you very soon. It’s all very confusing to me how some people manage to get back in the country while their appeal is being processed. Aren’t the Taiwan Embassies/Consulates in foreign countries aware of our current status? If they were, I assume they wouldn’t let us back in the country with a visitor visa or a student visa. I need clarification on this. It all seems too good to be true.
Many thanks.

Philippe

I don’t think the visa offices abroad are aware of our status. Though, when I applied for my student visa i had to lie on the form . It asks if you have ever worked illegally or been asked to leave Taiwan, I ticked no to both of these and they didn’t ask me about it.

I figured if they did ask i would say that as far as I’m concerned i haven’t worked illegally and that’s why i’m appealing the decision. I also said to the woman at the office that i no longer worked at my school and that i’d been told to leave. Which wasn’t lying but wasn’t the whole truth. She then told to tick no on the form.

If i was you i wouldn’t mention anything about an appeal or your status, just fill in the form, lie and see what happens.

It’s really difficult to understand what’s going on. The answers you get from the authorities differ from department to department. I was told by the Banqiao FAP and immigration at the airport that if the visa office gave me a visa I could come back. However the Ximending FAP said that i was banned from Taiwan for 5 years.

It seems that all the various departments involved just don’t talk to each other or share information

Best of luck

You may be able to get another visa but they could still stop you at the airport. A friend of mine was deported for illegally teaching and then came back after a year. She was doing regular visa runs and the first two were okay (i.e. entered and left twice) but when she tried to return the third time the immigration agent hit a few extra keys on his computer and told her that she had been caught illegally teaching a year ago and was banned from entering Taiwan for five years.(No one had told her it was five years so she just assumed that it was only one).
You may be able to get back in but you should be prepared just in case they hit those few extra keys.