Guitars available for pre order

(I’m having trouble figuring out the new quote function, so bear with me; I’ll edit this for proper formatting when I figure it out or someone explains it to me, LOL)

TL wrote “Sure, I can paint the guitar any color you want. Though to be honest with you not sure why you would want to cover such beautiful wood with paint… most painted guitars are plywood junk that doesn’t look good to begin with.”

Yes, if it’s really paint, on an acoustic or classical, I agree. Edit: Paint is for toy guitars only IMO (here’s one I painted for my elder son’s birthday, years ago).

It deadens the sound, too. Stain OTOH is a different matter; there are nice stained ones. And some woods sound great as tops, or backs and sides, but don’t have a particular beauty, right? I’d never have a painted classical, as it would hurt the sound on an acoustic or classical, but stained, sure. My son would kill for a 21.25" 3/4-scale classical (requinto) with a plain-looking but acoustically stunning tone wood and plain sides & back, but stained a nice medium blue.

(crusher wrote) > “To give some perspective on prices. A very good Blue Grass guitar is called a Martin. The D28 is particularly good. I lost a bidding war 6 months ago on a second hand one going for 40, 000. New ones go for around 100 to 120, 000 NTD. On the other hand you can get much cheaper factory guitars for a few thousand.”

I’ll second that (except that the nice sounding factory guitars I’ve played don’t even start until $15,000 NT, and those aren’t classicals. A Baby Taylor BT2 mahogany is and example of what I mean by ‘nice’. What I tried in four or so stores here, years ago, in classicals played like crap, and I tried ones all the way up into the high 20’s.). His prices are placed pretty much spot for a hand made one. Well in fact cheap because he is not famous.
I’ll second that. The prices are appropriate. Handmade guitars sound better than most things way below that price, and a luthier classical made in Taiwan was priced at $110,000-$120,000 12+ years ago; a really SWEET one in Mexico cost me half that simply because it was an extra on hand the luthier hadn’t been able to sell or had for customers to try before commissioning, it had a minor flaw, and he was probably short on cash that month. And it was Mexico, and he was in an out of the way place. If I hadn’t bought that one I’d jump at the chance of Taiwan Luthier’s at this price. He’s done setup work for me before, by the way.

Another poster wrote something about only pros wanting luthier guitars.
I really have to differ. Not only advanced or professional players will want a luthier-made guitar. Even when I was just (re)beginning classical guitar (I’d played a bit at age 11), I hated the poor sustain, mediocre sound, and poor playability on the many guitars I tried in the $10-$25,000 price range at about four shops here in Taiwan. I wasn’t very skilled technically, but that didn’t matter. I have ears and the sound matters a lot to me. Having one that really sings, with warmth or bell-tone trebles, one that has excellent sustain, and is just downright gorgeous, motivated me to play more. It is a joy each time you pull it out of the case and get ready to play.
And part of the goal in learning technique and in learning music is seeing how beautiful a sound you can make, from the very start. Only a solid top, carefully individually selected and properly braced, with the right finish, can get you there. So no, I disagree with an earlier poster that only advanced or professional guitarists will want one; anyone who plans to continue seriously, even if they’re just a low intermediate player, should consider investing in a decent instrument. I played a LOT of classical guitars in stores 10-12 years ago, and none ever came close to the artisan work that a luthier does, crafting the instruments one by one. Not just in sound, but in aesthetics and playability.

I think one thing that will help, TL, is if you can finish a couple, or a few (I know it’s tough, given the up-front material cost in your present situation) to keep on hand so that serious potential buyers can stop by and try them. Could be an acoustic with stunning wood, a pair of classicals like cedar and German spruce tops with just the very best tops, nitro finish, clean and simple, with awesome sound, whatever. Some people may then buy the already made ones rather than commissioning. Or they may trust your quality after seeing and playing what you make, and then commission a guitar. You need to somehow work up a portfolio of work to show, with some available to try. I realize it may be tough to do this given your finances and the cost of materials. I don’t think most people have any idea what just a premium quality Englemann spruce top costs the luthier (edit: I mean, it’s not huge, but it’s more than a really cheap guitar, and that’s just one piece of the guitar (ok, well, maybe two, being split) or how incredibly much time and labor is involved not just in making one but in learning the craft.

6 Likes