Harvard Beijing Academy Moved to Taipei

Need help?

Sounds like you probably go to the bank too much. Most people don’t deal with banks nearly as much as you seem to do.

I just Googled “Harvard Uighurs” and 9 of the first 10 entries are Harvard student groups, Harvard institutes, the Crimson (Harvard student newspaper), all codemning Chinese treatment of the Uighurs, so this appears to be a case of “If I stick my fingers in my ears and don’t listen to what these people are saying, then I can complain that I can’t hear them.” (the tenth article is the Taipei Times report noting the move to Taipei, along with another aticle condemning China’s treatment of Uighurs)

1 Like

You’re right. I googled and there is that. But tbf, it seems like it’s from students and some members of staff or alumni. Maybe I didn’t dig enough, I didn’t see the school make a particular stance on the subject. Maybe it’s not their place? Idk. But Harvard has left a bad taste in mouth since the whole discriminatory entrance for Asian students.

Yes, i agree. But need to with business. Its always time consuming.

@marco no need for help, i just ignore them now. They have no case i just dont use that bank anymore. I just find these levels of unproffesionalism quite astounding from a bank.

It’s actually quite intense. My workaholic friend attended a few years ago and she said it was crazy intense. Students aren’t allowed to speak English for 2 months (except when calling family members back home).

In China they would basically make people study around the clock for the majority of the program, and then for the final week there was some kind of “cultural experience trip” they would send people on. I think the goal is to avoid having any students feel like they traveled halfway around the world to hit the books and do nothing else.

Sure, they might have a few day trips. But for the other 58 days, they’re burning the midnight oil.

1 Like

Then I will go back to what I said above that 2 months of intensive study is plenty to go from foundational understanding to a high degree of fluency (speaking from my own experience in a four hour a day of classes + 100 or so new vocabulary words/day program in Beijing).

Language pledge programs that are 99% native English speakers end up with really stupid Chinese across the program though – “nǐ yǎo qú like jiúbá má? wò like bù shǎng shuí she” was a pretty common phrase that I would hear in our dorm hallway. (note the tones are 100% American English intonation, “xiang” and “shang”/ “xi" vs English pronunciation “she” are not remotely distinguished, despite so much class time spent on those sounds specifically, and the use of “like” mid sentence). That and the instructors normalizing “你怎麼樣?” as a legitimate greeting (which it very much is not.) I struggled a lot to tune out the bad Chinese, which my brain picked up naturally as “the language we’re learning right now”, so I would start to talk like the idiots around me, even though I knew that was not what Chinese was supposed to sound like. It took a second (two month) program where more time was spent around native speakers and the instructors had zero tolerance for Chinglish to get my brain into correct Chinese.

Just something for people to keep in mind if they think not being allowed to ever speak anything but Chinese actually does as much for language acquisition as the programs claim.

2 Likes

The fact that you have to go to the bank to do stuff says a lot. I do stuff with my British bank from Taiwan.

2 Likes

That’s silly. I use online banking too, but there are still things you have to go to the bank for, like opening a bank account.

You can set up an account online too.

Foreigners certainly can’t.

You already have a British bank account with an address in England, so of course. However, there would still be some things that you might need to go to the UK to do if your contacts there did not help you.

You don’t know what it’s like. That’s understandable. If you have any foreign friends ask them to try to buy shares through a Taiwanese bank and observe how modern the banking system is.

Lol, have you used it? You need a ton of paperwork to open a bank account in England.

Yeah , I do have to agree. Certainly with any of the big banks like Barclays etc

That’s true too in fact I think you and Gain are both right.

1 Like

I haven’t set foot in my British bank for over two years, but, yes, I’m sure there would be some stuff I’d need to fly back to deal with.

You can use your Taiwan address/ phone number and get all your correspondence, you can have complete control over your account from here. my wife also has her account there and she is a Taiwanese citizen.

I had a terrible time with Barclays , they are so anal.