Harvard Beijing Academy Moved to Taipei

Which bank? You would still need to have a residence in the UK. The citizenship thing is not as important.

I donā€™t want to be giving out my bank online but we donā€™t have any residence in the uk and its in the top 5 British banks.

I shared my experience, you shared yours. I really canā€™t care less about all the whining about how difficult it is for foreigners to do this and that at a bank. Itā€™s none of my business.

I havenā€™t been back to my Taiwanese banks since opening a bank account either. I use their apps for everything.

Lol, tell that to HSBC.

But you are British.

i donā€™t need too, its there business

My wife isnā€™t.

But to be far i donā€™t have problems here also and i use online banking for my Taiwan banks too

Just checked Barclays you can do it online and through there App

Mods:

Maybe the banking bit should be moved to another thread

1 Like

Why do you continue to reply?

What is the big deal about giving out a bank name?

Anyway, you can have an overseas bank account , but not a domestic one. If your wife has no residence and is not a citizen of the UK I doubt that is possible by herself unless a joint account. You can usually only open an overseas account by depositing at least 20 000 British pounds per year.

Taiwan banks (namely local ones) are shit. Nevermind their inconsistent staffs training, sexism, racism, and judgments which literally can block you from withdrawing large sums of money, transfers etc. I have seen this NUMEROUS times. Frankly, I record my bank visits now on my phone, and tell them I am, and the service changes. Its so dumb.

For those that havent experienced it, fine. Try using bank of taiwan online banking without internet explorer (not so secure). Try using it with an aprc id number (only now starting to update). Try transfering out of country. Try being out of country and transfering to within taiwan clients. try having a card issue because you are in a xertain country. Try setting up their credit cards to not require phones when abroad because you wont have your taiwan phone number overseas. Try to get a year or more transactions online. Even on print out can be a hassle. Etc etc. Its not that anything is impossible, its just that the system ABD the employees are fucking dinosaurs and it takes up precious hours of the day to try and get them to do something that should take 5 seconds.

For the last decade plus i have literally had to have an account set up and i ga e the card to my friend so she could withdraw and pay or transfer in country. I would work from computer, send to that bank. If i needed mkney i needed her to send to another bank account i setup for overseas which i had an atm card with (couldnt have 2 cards for 1 accountā€¦lol).

On and on it goes. Taiwan bankong is pretty fucking ice age. I always support its cash based society and requiring larger downpayments in order not to bankrupt the economy. But so many things can be done better. Starting with clerks not thinking they are gods in charge of your hard earned money! Nope, F*ck them. They have some work to do, they are more entitled than police and teachers put together.

UChicago was the first USA school to boot out its Confucius Institute as a propaganda tool of China. Other schools followed suit

2 Likes

I said you need to be resident in the UK for Barclays , you cannot join online without it.

Donā€™t want fishing emails.

She has her own account, 20 grant a year? Not us and banks have their rules like most businesses.

Barclays has overseas customers, I have a family member overseas who used them so Iā€™m surprised you couldnā€™t open an account.
I donā€™t know why your hung up about Barclays itā€™s just one company there are others. But I know of people who have had trouble registering overseas addresses but thatā€™s because they have student debt with the bank.

I have an account. Your wife could not get an account if she was never a resident of the UK or in a joint account with you, simple as that.

Well thatā€™s one way she could by your own argument.

But itā€™s up to you to sort out your own finances as we did ours.

Things are different in each country, and both have their limitations, you just have to find a way to work with it.

There are lots of institutions who can help you set up a bank account in the U.K. legally and you can run them online. Iā€™m sure there are for Taiwan also, but I have never needed that service so canā€™t comment on it.

Saw a report that theyā€™re down to 10 in Canada, with growing pressure not to renew contracts.

1 Like

I donā€™t care if they learn Chinese are not. Mandarin is a BS language anyway. Whatā€™s important is exposure to Taiwan.

Makes sense, they were also the first school to send a letter to their freshman: no safe spaces, trigger warnings, and canceling speakers.

1 Like

Mandarin is a bs language?

Itā€™s a 200-year old language with heavy Mongol and Manchu influences.

:face_with_monocle: