Have you had COVID?

respectfully disagree. data is just data. a written form of an occurence. it is not sentient and has no intentions. the people using certainly do!

as an example. the woman that died in the covid hotel from a fire counted as a covid death.
the raw data is that she died from the fire (I presume smoke inhalation, but didn’t check). she had covid. that is the data. the human lies that aim to manipulate other people is that she died from covid. that is not the data, that is simply a lie.

2 Likes

:pray: Much appreciated.

Not had COVID yet and neither has any of my family back in the UK. One of my friends who has had lifelong heart problems got Omicron but he’s still alive and kicking.
I know some people in Taiwan who have had it,.none of them family, just people I know from work. I also don’t know or heard of anyone who has died from or with COVID.

2 Likes

nah, just back in january actually. but yeah i was takin the piss.

I’ve had covid and I don’t know which one is my option in this poll.

My dad had it. Asymptomatic. It’s been through my sisters house twice. She got it both times (unvaccinated) and her husband didnt get it either time (vaccinated). Their four kids… 2 got it each time.

1 Like

My impression is Covid-19 has followed the same arc as the Spanish Flu. The Spanish Flu was much more lethal of course but the pattern appears to be the same. The early variants were the most lethal and the bodies piled up. After about two years of mayhem, less lethal but more contagious variants - both factors beneficial to the virus - displaced the earlier variants and the diseases just became entrenched, recurring annoyances for the vast majority of people.

Had it in April, mild symptoms (Headache, fever, sore throat) and was largely fine after a few days.

1 Like

to expand on this. We had this documentary playing at work today. I thought this quote was a good way of describing it. with the addition that “facts” will change as we have more unadulterated data feeding into research.

My answer to the question of […enter whatever example you like here…] is, I’m afraid, I don’t know.

The great thing about being a scientist, and not a politician is, I’m not required to have an opinion on anything. I’m only required to be able to tell you what the facts tell us.

-Prof. Chris Tinney

2:20 minutes in

You set the poll up where people could make more than one choice.

Yes, I just noticed the other day. I clicked the default settings and didn’t realise it allowed two possible choices per vote. Not much point changing it now.

Anyway, seems like we’re almost spot-on 50% “never had COVID” out of 56 people. We’ve got some respondent bias, I guess, but it’s interesting all the same.

We appear to have had four people who were very ill. Wonder who they were and what happened …

I wish one of you sent me a positive test…

3% of 58 people is right around the fatality rate for vaccinated. Maybe bad news?

Or rather, that we haven’t tested positive or had convincing symptoms. I have no idea whether I’ve had it, and only tested once as a precaution before visiting my aging parents. A total of 50% who’ve either not had it or not noticed they had it seems pretty unremarkable to me, from what I understand about the rates of symptoms.

True, but back in the old days if you didn’t feel ill, you weren’t … um, ill. I was attempting to gauge (a) how many people have an immune system functioning well enough to just avoid it entirely and (b) the social impact of COVID; one occasionally hears the assertion that if we didn’t try to “control COVID”, everything would collapse because everyone would be (simultanously) mortally ill in bed, which always seemed unlikely to me.

1 Like

It was nice of them to rise from the grave long enough to check the checkbox, but irritating they couldn’t be bothered to elucidate :slight_smile:

I suppose it’s a whole different conversation, but from recently-released German observations, the rate of severe adverse events is apparently somewhere between 1:500 and 1:5000. Deaths will be a smallish fraction of those.

So if you contract Covid, what’s the current rules regarding quarantine/self-managed care? It used to be 7+7. Searching in vain but I haven’t found the answer!

Tks.

Still is.

1 Like

Any links? English or Chinese?

What to do if you or your contacts get COVID-19 (May 8 update) - Focus Taiwan

This seems to be the latest policy update.

What’s the typical first sign you’ve got Omicron? Sore throat? Headache? Difficulty understanding memes?

One of the locals who works for me on a contract basis just contracted Covid so my number may be up finally.We last worked together on Friday but all of our work is outdoors so I’ve got that going for me. What’s ironic is he’s the first person in my circle of friends and colleagues here in Hokkaido who’s had Covid since the start of the pandemic.