Heaters: Who needs 'em?

Should you open a window or vent fumes somehow?

I have the same problem. One appliance at a time or else POW!

Also the radiator cannot be used.

1 Like

I use one of these to take the edge off without turning on the air conditioner inverters. Works well in warming up a big room. Itā€™s slightly taller than it looks.

The marble floors freeze my feet before I know it. So need to keep rug under my feet.

And also creates a lot of bad indoor PM2.5 for those who care about their health

Really? Wow news to me.

Heaters sold out everywhere around me anyways lol. Maybe I will just brave it outā€¦

Really depends on your setup, if youā€™re in a small, well sealed apartment Iā€™d probably crack a window. In a typical Taiwanese apartment I wouldnā€™t bother.

I have CO alarms and none of them have ever even registered anything when the heater is on. On start up and shut down there can be a slight odor so if youā€™re sensitive you could open a window at those times.

Obviously buy a good quality modern heater designed for home use, the one I showed above has built in oxygen sensors etc to monitor clean burning and auto shuts off if there is a problem.

The Kerosene sold in Taiwanā€™s gas stations is formulated for use in heaters, donā€™t buy cheap oil elsewhere.

Thanks! I might have to buy one of these. I live in an old walkup so the problem of good windows doesnā€™t exist :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.
I will definitely buy a good japanese brand.

1 Like

No problem. Iā€™ve used one for 5 or 6 years now and absolutely donā€™t regret purchasing it, massive bang for your buck in terms of heat output.

The biggest concern is making sure you have a convenient supply of Kerosene. The only gas stations that sell it are CPC stations, as far as I know. There may well be other stores or online sources that Iā€™m not aware of.

The current reference price and packing methods are as below, not all stations will have all types though. 台ē£äø­ę²¹å…Øēƒč³‡č؊ē¶²-ē…¤ę²¹ē‰Œåƒ¹č”Ø (cpc.com.tw)

If youā€™re in a walkup it could be a real pain trying to lug a 20L drum up!

1 Like

I canā€™t imagine lugging a 20 liter up 4 flights of stairs. I have a propane BBQ on the roof and they bring me the small bottle. That one I could handle. I guess it is a form of exercise and staying warm at the same time.

Do people reckon itā€™s still worth buying heaters now, or is the temperature likely to keep increasing again from here on out? The weather today seems quite nice.

I ordered a couple of cheap fan heaters on Shopee at the weekend while it was still freezing, but the seller is pissing around (telling me that I canā€™t order two by convenience store delivery and should use home delivery instead, despite the fact that I did select home delivery as instructed on the item page and have already paid for the heaters) and now unresponsive to messages. So Iā€™m tempted to cancel the order if itā€™s likely to keep getting warmer, since I wonā€™t need them if it takes much longer. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

One more cold snap this weekend.

1 Like

But after that itā€™s bikini weather for the rest of the year. Hurrah!

2 Likes

This one seems a little warmer than the last one though, right? Do you reckon thatā€™s it for the year then, or is there normally more in late January and February? I forget how it was in previous years.

(Iā€™m guessing it might be too late for the heaters to arrive in time for the weekend now, even if the seller does actually send them out today, since I think the Shopee courier delivery is just Monday to Friday IIRC.)

ā€¦Or what passes for a bikini in Taiwan.

That said itā€™s always a good time to wear a bikini.

1 Like

Thatā€™s both disturbing and sexy at the same timeā€¦

Isnā€™t the lunar new year holiday typically miserable af in Taipei?

Iā€™ll keep repeating this to myself for the next month so if we get decent weather during that time Iā€™ll then be pleasantly surprised. :upside_down_face:

Guy

5 Likes

Grasshopper. You have much to learn.

Listen to Shr Fu.

3 Likes

So thatā€™s two votes from the elders for ā€œyou donā€™t need heaters anymore, invest in bikinis insteadā€ and two for ā€œyou might still need the heatersā€, is that right?

Need a deciding vote!

March, than you can say itā€™s (almost) over.

1 Like

Last year was warmer, the year before that (2018) we had one day snow I thought, in February.