Homemade mayonnaise and other foods with raw eggs

One or two egg yolks at room temperature.
One or two table spoons of vinegar at room temperature.
A little salt and mustard depending your preferences.

Stir the above till it changes colour don’t beat bubbles.
Add one drop of your favourite oil. Sunflower tastes neutral.
Mix it for 20 seconds then add another drop and keep mixing it for 10 seconds. Then another drop of oil while mixing and so on.

Once you see it turning into thick mayonnaise, you can add the oil a little faster.

All ingredients must be at the same room temperature and you can add up to 300ml oil for two egg yolks.

Make sure you separate the egg white and yoke perfectly.
Add the oil very slowly. It takes some experience but you’ll end up with the most delicious mayonnaise ever.

2 Likes

Room temperature eggs? Eggs that sit on the supermarket shelves as room temperature or in the heat for a few days?

Give me a way to feel better about those eggs and I’ll give the recipe a try.
Back East in the states it was Frenche’s or Guldons Mustard, Heinz Ketchup and beans, Helmans mayo. Helmans is Best Foods east of the Rockies so they say.

I’d really like to try homeade mayo. Anyone try something like this?

What’s your problem?

Take the eggs out of the fridge and wait an hour before making the Mayonnaise, otherwise it’s likely to fail.
Why in the hell do you think the eggs have to be warmed up for days.

Use common sense, please!

Hamletintaiwan,Hamletintaiwan,Hamletintaiwan…
where are you…
Since I arrived in Taiwan Tainan, Kaohsiung and Pingtung counties eggs are not found in the refrigerator. I was shocked. They are stored on the supermarket shelves or in baskets on the floors of the smaller shops.

They are not refrigerated. They are often out at very hot temperatures.
Furthermore, Hamletintaiwan, when marked with an expiration date, they are good for almost a month. That is my problem.
I won’t use any eggs here under those conditions unless they are thoroughly cooked. My adapted Taiwanese family even scolds me for using any egg that has one drop of liquid yolk.
In the USA also Hamletintaiwan, it seems that many food saftey webistes say that even though eggs are handled with great care and should not have any salmonella in they say that you still should absolutely refrain from using raw egg and use a pre-pasturized product instead. That is my truly common sense dilemma.
The eggs ARE STORED AT VERY HOT ROOM TEMPERATURES. And they are legally allowed to stay that way for almost a month. Thank goodness I go to a store where eggs move… But. That’s my problem. I don’t trust eggs to be safe.

Pricier eggs (organic, free range, “mountain”, whatever else) are on refrigerated shelves, or at least they are in supermarkets.

Yes, there’s a small risk if using raw eggs. But I’ve made Caesar dressing with raw eggs, and mayonnaise with raw eggs, a bunch of times with no ill effects.

On the other hand, if you just want mayonnaise to keep in the fridge for sandwiches or whatever, I recommend don’t use homemade because it’s only good for a few days. I’d only bother with homemade mayonnaise if it’s an important part of the dish.

(The Taiwanese people who don’t want liquid yolk are the same people who insist that cold water will make you sick. It’s a cultural thing.)

Unrefrigerated eggs are perfectly safe.

An egg naturally has a coating on the outside of the shell that prevents bacteria from entering the egg. That’s what eggs in Taiwan, and most other countries have, and so don’t need to be in the fridge. In the US however (and a couple of other countries), by law eggs have to be washed by the producers. The machines that do that strip that coating away, and therefore eggs have to be refrigerated and sprayed with oil, to compensate for the removal of that coating in the washing process. There’s no need to be worried about them not being in the fridge, they are perfectly safe. Vaccines are used in breeders to prevent salmonella. In the US however, vaccine use is not as common, hence the greater fear of contracting the disease.

2 Likes

Buy free-range eggs. You’ll have to go to an organic store to get them.

Eggs are actually sterile inside - contamination comes from the shells. You do not need to refrigerate them unless opened. How do you think it is that they don’t rot with a chicken sitting on top of them keeping them at ideal bacteria-breeding temperatures?

Commercial mayonnaise is still made with eggs, you know. The cheapest eggs available. They pasteurize them and add acetic acid to stop germs breeding.

It’s fine to be wary, but restaurants make mayonnaise (and other raw-egg products) all the time without anyone getting sick.

Anyway: I can appreciate that most people just ain’t got time for that, so if you really want Heinz mayonnaise, I’m fairly sure City Super will have it. Basement of Sogo near ZhiShan station.

EDIT: oops, I just noticed cf_images provided a better explanation.

In general, salmonella seems like much less of a concern here than it is back home. Some people I know treat raw chicken like it’s some kind of radioactive waste.

Chicken meat is a whole different ball game. Industrial chicken is one of the most heavily-contaminated meats you’re likely to encounter, partly because it’s hard to gut a chicken without, erm, leakage, and partly because they are dunked in various vats of water and chemicals. Since those vats accommodate hundreds or thousands of carcasses before cleaning, they’re basically pathogen bioreactors. The chickens are deliberately left to absorb water (and therefore all the filth too). The net result is that chicken meat is probably dirtier than the inside of your toilet. It doesn’t start off that way (meat in a freshly-slaughtered animal is more-or-less sterile too, like eggs) but it’s made that way by processing.

OK, OT now, but what are the Chinese terms for that? There are some eggs I buy in Wellcome that I think have “free-range” on them, in English, but I can’t recall for sure. I don’t care about organic but it’d be nice to get eggs from chickens whose lives were at least a little bit less awful.

Lutein seems to get a lot of press on egg packaging here. What’s the deal with that?

FWIW, free-range chicken is “土雞”.

Oh, it’s that simple?! I just thought that was just a marketing term. (Which, to be fair, “free-range” often is.)

What do you make of the Taiwanese chicken industry. My wife prefers to buy her chickens at the traditional wet market. Her favorite vendor sells two types that she refers to as “walking around chickens” and “sitting”

Are they really free range? Are they fed better with more natural stuff.
McDonald’s, the Supermarket, 7-11 and all the other places seem to sue chicken that is labeled CP. Is that the name of a company that processes chicken or is this some sort of certification.

I’ve been here too long and seen pretty dodgy food preparation measures. Maybe our sanitary way of doing things makes us weaker… who knows… But I really will hold out for pasteurized eggs if I want to make my own. Until then… I’ll use Hellmann’s or the local salad dressing.