How Amateur Sleuths Broke the Wuhan Lab Story and Embarrassed the Media

When did Newsweek start publishing good articles again? :open_mouth:

24 Likes

They’ve been good lately.

3 Likes

Must’ve completely overhauled the editorial team.

1 Like

Holy crap this is amazing.

1 Like

Yeah they seem to want to stake out a space as being balanced or something. Shocking new approach

2 Likes

It goes to show you what you can find on the internet if you put your mind to it. This sudden swing to publicly accepting the lab leak theory makes more sense now, for one thing.

1 Like

I think this deserves its own thread.

2 Likes

Go down the :rabbit2: :hole:

3 Likes

But Politifact says it’s fake news:

Our ruling

During an interview on Fox News, Yan said the coronavirus “is a man-made virus created in the lab.”

The genetic structure of the novel coronavirus, which has been shared by thousands of scientists worldwide, rules out the possibility that it was manipulated in a lab. Public health authorities have repeatedly said the virus was not created in a lab. Scientists believe the coronavirus originated in bats before jumping to humans. Experts have publicly rebuked Yan’s paper, and it’s unclear whether it was peer reviewed.

The claim is inaccurate and ridiculous. We rate it Pants on Fire!
– Politifact, September 15, 2020

2 Likes

It’s an amazing thing, even from my unscientific layman’s perspective.

Oh…my…god. I need a tshirt with this guy’s avatar.

The Seeker dropped the link, without fanfare, on May 18, 2020, then followed up with a second thesis from a PhD student at the Chinese CDC confirming much of the information in the first. Four of the miners had tested positive for antibodies from a SARS-like infection. And the WIV had been looped in to test samples from them all. (Shortly after The Seeker posted the theses, China changed the access controls on CNKI so no one could do such a search again.)

If a SARS-like virus had emerged in 2012, had been covered up, and the WIV had been sending people back to the mine to forage for more samples and bringing them back to Wuhan, that should have been front-page news the next day. Instead, not a single story appeared for weeks. A few stories appeared in the UK, including a feature in the Sunday Times. The U.S. media took a pass.

Uhmmm:

Dr. Fauci needs to be brought in under oath: Rep. Scalise | Fox Business Video

There’s so much political bs coming into the light. The Lab Leak,now

Trust the science my arse:

Dr. Harvey Risch, a professor of epidemiology at Yale School of Public health wrote in Newsweek last July that HCQ became “viewed as a marker of political identity, on both sides of the political spectrum.”

What’s BIden say? Back to the basement!

OK, my bad, this is A&S: :wink:

Back on point. The story is actually getting out there, or the story about the story NOT getting out there is now out there.

https://archive.is/N983O
On February 19, 2020, The Lancet, among the most respected and influential medical journals in the world, published a statement that roundly rejected the lab-leak hypothesis, effectively casting it as a xenophobic cousin to climate change denialism and anti-vaxxism. Signed by 27 scientists, the statement expressed “solidarity with all scientists and health professionals in China” and asserted: “We stand together to strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that COVID-19 does not have a natural origin.”

The Lancet statement effectively ended the debate over COVID-19’s origins before it began. To Gilles Demaneuf, following along from the sidelines, it was as if it had been “nailed to the church doors,” establishing the natural origin theory as orthodoxy. “Everyone had to follow it. Everyone was intimidated. That set the tone.”

The statement struck Demaneuf as “totally nonscientific.” To him, it seemed to contain no evidence or information. And so he decided to begin his own inquiry in a “proper” way, with no idea of what he would find.

1 Like

i recall watching a video in early April of last year by a generally click-baity anti-china youtuber last year where he just pointed why he’s sure it leaked from a lab and the people who disappeared. it was interesting and convincing but perhaps I’m just easily persuaded. so that’s been my opinion all along. he didn’t have a cool name like DRASTIC tho lol.

is it wise to get your information from a youtuber who clearly has an agenda? i don’t know, generally I’d say no. felt different tho.

3 Likes

You may be referring to the work of Laowhy86, who did indeed try to chase down pieces of the puzzle. It was great work.

Guy

3 Likes

i should add based on his own research and combing the Chinese Internet^

that I am. yeah it was good.

In case forumosans are interested, here is this video we’re discussing (linked in the general thread a long time ago) from April 2020.

Guy

8 Likes

Hey, thanks for finding that again. Yes, I was also convinced long ago that it came from the Wuhan lab. There were a few other pieces of incriminating information in the sequences of the virus that were available some time ago, which were pretty much a smoking gun of genetic modification. And the US was involved in collaborative research on bat coronaviruses at Wuhan for the last 5 years, so they also knew about it.

Passaging multiple copies of similar viruses through human cells will force evolution to mix and match the sequences in a way that improves their efficacy and infectiveness towards humans, always selecting the strongest combination. And directed modification of selected residues also seems to have been done, with some tell tale signs of insertion tags remaining in the sequence.

5 Likes

Well, if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

I’d also shared this on the general covid thread when it was published in early March

About 6 months ago they really picked up. On Flipboard they’ve become one of my most consistent non-paywalled sources (interesting, looking at this link on my laptop there seems to be an article limit after all…).

5 Likes