How Amateur Sleuths Broke the Wuhan Lab Story and Embarrassed the Media

I’m not really surprised. Pretty hard to hide the tracks of something like that these days.

Probably they’re more concerned about stuff getting mass attention and not vetting every post where people are talking about stuff.

2 Likes

Okay, but what about this?

Why didn’t they do that to begin with? He just waltzed right on in there and got what he wanted. I mean, it took some hard work, but apparently there was nothing unusual there to impede him. Maybe the people in charge figured the stuff in there was so abstruse that no one would be able to figure it out sufficiently to cause them any harm?

Probably, whatever office is in charge of this presumed effort just didn’t realize that source of potentially damaging information existed. They can’t just simply shut down all legitimate sources of academic inquiry.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me if they Chinese knew but they thought no one would pay attention/ find out/ care enough to look.

I find it’s difficult to get straight answers in general conversations. They seem to want to obfuscate even normal things.

1 Like

The key was apparently Google Translate… I think it will take a while before Chinese officials get the wakeup call that everything is becoming easily machine translatable and thus hiding thing in plain sight is becoming harder.

Automatic translations used to be really rubbish, but that is changing.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve noticed that in recent years it’s gotten pretty good.

Because they weren’t told to do so. That’s a centralized planning glitch.

6 Likes

And now Vanity Fair? Is Hell freezing over? :thinking:

5 Likes

Well, Biden has to DO something to save the 2024 election…or prevent, you know, ahem someone’s re-election

“arguably”? :slight_smile:

This is all fascinating stuff. I’m truly amazed that anybody actually managed to come up with some evidence for the lab leak. I figured it was possible that that’s what happened, but nobody would ever be able to demonstrate it one way or the other.

I still reckon China will see absolutely zero blowback for all this, apart from a loss of face.

2 Likes

For scientific purposes, it may be useful to track the origin to prevent the same thing from happening again, naturally.

For practical purposes, either possibility is a result of China’s negligence. Accidental lab release or wet market are both a negligent result, going back to the point of the origin of SARS and MERS, and the fact China banned these markets, then unbanned them.

-Try to find origin, good.
-Can’t conclude one way or another, possible.
-Can conclude China’s negligence.
-Can conclude China capable of either.
-Can conclude cannot trust China on any level

2 Likes

That was a really interesting (and convincing) read. My takeaway is that a lab leak now seems a definite possibility. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Depressing, but highly likely. After this all blows over, corporations will likely go back to kissing panda ass, and consumers back to buying cheap Chinese crap.

1 Like

There are other possibilities. No one talks about them. I found this poll by CodeMonkeyZ interesting. Of course as a former moderator at 8Kun attracts a certain crowd, the last option with most votes caught my eye.

1 Like

I’m been saying it’s from the labs from the start. What are the coincidences that the Wuhan lab that studies these kinds of viruses is also in the same city of origin of the virus? And the way China responded indicated it was a lab leak to me, or at least they suspected that was a probability.

3 Likes

He was ‘debunked’ at the time by a clever sounding guy on youtube called ‘potholer’.

Now the tide has turned he hasn’t changed his message, because there is no concrete source…

This has been my argument from the beginning, we know there won’t be any concrete evidence, and you cannot base your opinion on whether this was a lab leak on that since its the CCPs modus operandi to cover up and we know for a fact that’s what they have been doing since this whole thing started.

That fall, the State Department team got a tip from a foreign source: Key information was likely sitting in the U.S. intelligence community’s own files, unanalyzed. In November, that lead turned up classified information that was “absolutely arresting and shocking,” said a former State Department official.

November, huh

I don’t quite get this

With questions growing, NIH director Dr. Francis Collins released a statement on May 19 asserting that “neither NIH nor NIAID have ever approved any grant that would have supported ‘gain-of-function’ research on coronaviruses that would have increased their transmissibility or lethality for humans.”

But we did fund EcoHealth Alliance.

In May 2014, five months before the moratorium on gain-of-function research was announced, EcoHealth secured a NIAID grant of roughly $3.7 million, which it allocated in part to various entities engaged in collecting bat samples, building models, and performing gain-of-function experiments to see which animal viruses were able to jump to humans. The grant was not halted under the moratorium or the P3CO framework.

So did Eco-Health stop funding GOF research in 2014, or continue to do so?

1 Like

The 2012 deaths plus 2018 job posting makes me think it did come from the lab. I wonder how they prevented spread in 2012 but screwed up later

2 Likes

It’s ok, China and expert Peter Daszak says there’s no evidence.

Move on folks . :rofl:

5 Likes

not NOW