How bad can it be if the number of countries that ROC/Taiwan has official diplomatic relations with is exactly ZERO?

Yep. That is their ¨carrot¨. So El Salvador is gleefully jumping into China´s arms, while in teh US they are counting all the money they will ¨save¨.

Not to mention the increasing influx of refugees…created by the political and economic and climate crisis. Sounds familiar?

In fact, it might make you infamous.

The Taiwan Tourism Bureau could play this up even more! Imagine the tag lines: “Taiwan: We DGAF” “Taiwan: Rebel Bad Boy of Asia” “Taiwan: We are a Rock, We are an Island”.

Don’t give the Tourism Board any ideas! You know they would really make this the official theme song of their next campaign.

I’m going to go ahead and make that happen.

If they do use it I want compensation; this idea has been date stamped!

Maybe they’ll even let you do the singing. Just tell them you’re Paul Simon’s nephew.

A example of what happens to allies after they get to China´s side:

The foreign ministry has previously highlighted the dangers of being enticed by China’s promises of financial largesse, highlighting a US$1-billion-plus oil refinery project backed by Chinese funds that was eventually cancelled in 2016, leaving Costa Roca’s national refiner with nothing to show but a multi-million dollar expenses bill.

Costa Rica switched diplomatic recognition from Taiwan to China in 2007.

Not to mention a current scandalous corruption case related to the purchase of cement from China which has costed them like half their supreme judges, several congresmen and almost toppled a bank or two.

As to these rumors, they flare up every time there is a breakup. Now this would be the final straw:

The only countries that matter are basically NATO countries like the US and EU nations that can actually do something in terms of trade and military push back. And japan and Korea, India would be a pretty good ally as well. Anything else is just a waste of time and money we can spend on the Country and actual defense budget. What’s El Salvador’s GDP and do they even have one naval ship capable of getting to the pacific lol.

I also don’t understand the big deal in terms of the title of this thread. Most if not all TI supporters want to abandon the “ROC” title for good, so the less countries that recognize the “ROC”, surely the better. And based on that logic, when no country recognizes the “ROC”, then the Republic of Taiwan can be born…

1 Like

Amen. Any step away from recognition of ROC is a step in the right direction. I just wish Tsai would cut the crap and cut ties with eSwatini and other 3rd world dictatorships sooner rather than later.

1 Like

That is another angle of the problem. These alliances of convenience were established when Taiwan itself was in the grip of a dictatorship. Moreover, Taiwan served as proxy training center and arms seller/dealer for the US for way too many years. As Taiwan evolved democratically, those deeds hamper the already damaged relationship when these countries move on -South Africa- or strain erlationship with US -who also does not want that too much in teh open, for what anyone cares.

And we also have the blues, who are the ones who know where teh bodies are buried, have been spilling the beans to blame DPP, on stuff they regarded as SOP.

https://youtu.be/rY0WxgSXdEE

Solomon voted 0 in favor of staying with Taiwan.

3 Likes

Truth is there would be zero if Taiwan did not Pay. PRC has more bribe money .I think Taiwan should use the money for these things on something more useful . If a country wishes to support Taiwan for ideological reasons …great .

Solomon islands I mean WTF cares… Stop wasting money…Open the country to global trade, global organisations (not the UN lol)…Make some real game changing moves stop fjcking about .

1 Like

But they are just CHICKEN! Well no it’s business. It’s money. If the US or the EU would support Taiwan straight out they would lose business.

Interestingly, I read that 80% of the public would be against cutting ties with Taiwan for China in the Solomon islands.

1 Like

That makes sense. There is no benefit to the general populace in linking up with the Chinese Communist Party. A hand full of politicians get rich off the back of it and then emigrate to Canada.

4 Likes

Those aid packages never gets to the people, that’s why i’m so against them.

I happen to see this as a win in a way, they arent a useful ally and they provide Taiwan with nothing. I actually think having Taiwan closer to a almost no diplomatic allies will shake things up and maybe get some countries to think it’s not so good for them if Taiwan is taken by China. Too much time with status quo is not good imo.

1 Like

Yeah, but are you going to fight for Taiwan if a war comes up as result of the change in the status quo?