How do you ship personal goods back to your home country?

Hi,

How do you ship personal goods back to your home country ?

My girlfriend and I need to ship a lot of personal stuff back to U.K. If anyone knows where I can get more information about this then please let me know.

Thanks

If you need something larger than boxes (say a container) I suggest you contact a moving/shipping company as they will take care of everything including the paper work and do a door-to-door delivery. Not cheap though but saves you a lot of hassle and of course the total cost depends on the volume and mode of transportation (sea or air).

If you are talking about stuff that can be put in smallish boxes (I think it’s something like 200cm total lwh), the post office is the way to go. Sea rates are of course cheaper. There are problems with getting a part of a container if you do it yourself, but it can be done if you need to ship furnature and large items.
Still, if you have lots of big items, going with a mover is really the best, even though you will pay big for it.

Can someone please direct me to information or a thread about international moving companies. I plan to move from Taiwan and would like to know which companies are the most reliable.
Thank you in advance.

[quote=“circumlocution”]Can someone please direct me to information or a thread about international moving companies. I plan to move from Taiwan and would like to know which companies are the most reliable.
Thank you in advance.[/quote]Try the search function at the top of the page, I couldn’t find exactly what you were looking you, but you might find a few tips.

I tried the search function, but too many pages come up when I input the words moving, movers, international movers, etc.
Please let me know if you find information. Thank you.
If not should I start a new topic?

The missing link. http://www.forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=9619&highlight=movers

And.
http://www.forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=13856&highlight=freight

However, there’s not much concrete info in either of these threads.

Can’t recall that many people here used a moving company from Taiwan to wherever, i.e. most people on the forum moved to here, not away from here. :wink:
No real personal experience but I had some items for a friend shipped out by Allied Pickfords, try calling 02 - 2836 1000, all went well I was told.

Or check the ads in the newspapers.

Thank you all for your help. One of the local companies, Crown Van, is coming to give an assessment and quote this week. I’d like to try a few other companies as well to get a better idea before I decide.
I’ll contact allied pickfords next. Thanks!

:slight_smile:

I’m shocked to learn how expensive it is to ship furniture and other belongings to the United States. I understand it’s much higher than shipping to Europe at the moment.
My first estimate for a half container shipment was for NT $180,000!
This was from Four Winds, TAIWAN

FOUR WINDS TAIWAN, LTD.
6F-1, No 40 Chang-Chun Road,
Taipei, Taiwan
Phone No : (886) 2 2571-0564
Fax No : (886) 2 2521-3005
Email : fwindsgm@ms54.hinet.net

I plan to post subsequent estimates from
Allied Pickford and Crown for future reference.
I may not ship my belongings after all!

I am not 100% sure since my friend’s bill was paid by his company but I think to remember the shipment of around 10 big boxes by air cost around USD3000 (a year back).

I am not sure of the rates going from Taiwan to the US. But I just shipped some stuff via Sea Rate from the US to Taiwan. It was approximately $2 per pound. Air… double that.

Time for a yard sale…

Here are some estimates I got from Four Winds last week.

FOUR WINDS TAIWAN, LTD.
6F-1, No 40 Chang-Chun Road,
Taipei, Taiwan
Phone No : (886) 2 2571-0564
Fax No : (886) 2 2521-3005
Email : fwindsgm@ms54.hinet.net

4 cubic meters, Taipei to LA door to door service, sea freight, (whether you pack or they pack it) NTD 62 000 + 5% Government Tax.
Taipei to London NTD 53 000 + % Government Tax/Insurance.

10 cubic meters, Taipei to London or LA, sea freight, door to door, approx NTD 145 000 + 5% Government Tax.

Freighting seems prohibitively expensive unless your company is picking up the tab or you have really nice furniture/antiques.