How tall is Forumosa? LOL

and their forefathers and their forefathers…hehe

Yes hopefully no mad cows in there.

Old housewives tale but worked for our family 2 foot …dwarf!

2 Likes

Apologies, I think you’re right.

Well it’s not absolutely foolproof but seems to have a reasonable rate of success :smirk:

1 Like

My dad, retired GP, was uncannily accurate in predicting eventual heights of children.

They use a graph which rarely fails.

Perhaps he was just kidding everyone , and simply did the 2 year measurement…takes a long time to be disproven :wink:

1 Like

Thinking about being " Heightist" this is so un-pc now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DqvweTYTI0

It is.

Keep a spoonful of rice in your mouth for a minute or two and it will begin to taste sweet. Humans have two diastatic enzymes: salivary amylase, which cleaves starch into short polysaccharides, and pancreatic amylase, which does something fairly similar in your small intestine. Hydrolysis continues as starch, dextrins, and maltose proceed through the highly acid environment in your stomach, but most of the heavy lifting happens in your small intestine. The starch fragments created by hydrolysis are ultimately split up into monosaccharides by other enzymes (glucosidases) and delivered into the bloodstream.

Rice won’t taste especially sweet because salivary amylase isn’t capable of creating sweet-tasting sugars. The sweetest would be maltose.

But yeah, starch=sugar, at least by the time it gets into your bloodstream.

1 Like

Yes, I was just joking. :sunglasses:

I don’t have much time for talk about serotonin and genetics and whatnot. It’s cargo-cult science: pretending to offer explanations which really don’t shine any light on the topic at hand. These explanations are invariably used as excuses (“he can’t help it”) rather than to inform effective treatments. Thus the criminal can’t help being a criminal on account of his “brain chemistry”, the drug addict can’t help being addicted because of this and that pattern in his neurotransmitters, the fat person can’t help being fat because of his genes, etc. Ultimately the patient is deprived of the one thing that might help him sort his life out: the realisation that he, the ‘self’ that he is, is in the driving seat.

An addict has two paths he can take: he can go with the flow and let his life descend into chaos and misery, or he can attempt to do something about it.

While I agree it’s not about self-control, that’s not what I was suggesting. Doctors have developed very simple and effective protocols for dealing with various forms of addiction, including sugar addiction. They work. All the addict has to do is decide to participate. My impression is this: the addict is afraid to let go of his addiction. It comes to define what he is, even though he finds himself redefined as something he dislikes.

1 Like

Rice has almost zero sugar in it.

0.1g sugar per 100g of rice.

I know you guys do not believe anything I say, but as a starch, rice is practically all sugar and is processed as such. As a matter of fact, recent findings tell it is worse than cake when it comes to sugar spikes.

Ask @finley

2 Likes

lol well just post some evidence then.

Rice has a GI index of over 60 and very little nutritional value.

This thread better not devolve into some dumbass ketoard thread.

Ketogenic “people” also hate rice. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

The info I found says white rice has a GI index of 84, while rice with bran intact has an index of 56.

In comparison, pasta’s GI index is 65. Potato is at 90 and carrots are at 80.

Carrots are 80!?
Carrots are the true cause of diabetes.

Yep. But in Taiwan we rarely consume whole bran rice.

BTW, different kinds of rice have different GI. Try basmati. Short grain rice which we eat here is even deadlier.