How tall is Forumosa? LOL

When they were working the fields they had more veggies. Now a salad is rare, veggies unheard of since the drought/volcano combo. Problem is people look plum, overweight, with all the health issues that carries, and have no means to improve the diet. Starving while gorging.

Those stories about cholesterol are turning out to be bullshit, or much of them at least.

I just soak steel cut in water overnight them eat them cold with nothing on em for breakfast.

I can´t have dates. I am on keto. :laughing:

Are you one of those people that thinks dietary cholesterol doesn’t change serum cholesterol?

I thought you forced them to eat that hamster crap food. Or you mean you end up going cannibal with your dates?

Only when it’s subsidized by the US government.

Want the numbers?

Average output of a hectare of land growing rice or grains is 3-5 tonnes per harvest. In the subtropics you can get two harvests a year (economically inefficient, but you can do it given enough agrochemicals). That translates to approximately 5 tonnes of dry rice per year, at 3850kCal/kg, that’s 19 million kCal/hectare/year. We’re assuming here that the only thing that matters is calories, although hopefully we all realise there’s a bit more to it than that.

A polyculture in the same climate will support an animal bodyweight of 200-400kg, as well as various plants delivering a total output of 30-60 tonnes/year, of which ~50% will be low-quality forage not suitable for human consumption; that leaves about 20 tonnes per hectare per year of low-density nutrition (leaves, fruit, tubers etc) that humans would enjoy eating. At an approximate average of 1000kCal/kg, that’s a calorie output almost identical to the rice monoculture, except it includes a far greater nutritional diversity and a lot of animal protein.

Looking at it from another viewpoint, a kilo of (unsubsidized) is about US$2; say 2000kCal/$. A kilo of lard is also about US$2. So that’s 4500kCal/$.

Obviously, nobody wants to eat lard instead of rice, but fat is cheaper than carbs, calorie for calorie. If you eat yer veg along with your fat, you’ve got all the nutrition you need at a perfectly reasonable price point.

1 Like

They taste good, I ocassionally miss them, especially for pancakes.

1 Like

I can’t talk specialized diets fairly. I am one of those jerks who doesn’t put on weight easily, so I have never felt a need. But much more importantly I had the privilege of being raised with healthy eating and exercising habits. That’s #1!

2 Likes

dates are very nutritious. :rofl:

except now they work an office job 9-6 and don’t do anything labour-intensive at all but eat the same kind of diet. GG

1 Like

This is changing, thanks to McDonald’s, Subway and the terrible Italiwanese pasta “restaurants”.

1 Like

As I said, not even the same kind of diet. They can´t afford nor have available veggies, meat even eggs. But even if they did, they have bene told eggs are the devil, cholesterol kills and eggs are cholestero, etc. so their access to protein and a balanced diet is zero.

Bad advice and being poor is deadly.

2 Likes

Hey everybody. I just coined a new term: Italiwanese (pasta or restaurant).

I want everybody to know it was ME who came up with it, OK?

Its use doesn’t need to be explained.

EDIT: I could get rid of that “i” in the middle, just as a gracious gesture of my generosity towards other people’s opinions.

a far worse diet and far less exercise/intensive-labour

Hmmmmm I’m not sure about that. A menu at the McDonald’s has as much nutrients as the typical Taiwanese crappy meal, and probably as much (or even less) chemicals in it.

1 Like

When you tell the doctor you’ve been eating eggs and he’s checking your HDL/LDL results.

You know what I think the real killer is? Butter. Butter will absolutely fuck you up. My mom only ever cooked for my family using a little bit of vegetable oil, canola oil, or olive oil, and since Taiwanese people don’t really bake, we never had cakes or brownies or cookies regularly. Now anytime I have something too buttery and/or sugary I immediately feel sick.

Poor people make illogical choices. Like I said, that’s why they’re poor.

Look at the numbers above and then tell me I’m wrong.

So what should you eat?

meat
eggs
vegetables (except carrots apparently)
beans?
potatoes?
oats? Steel cut/rolled oats, not a candy bar that has oats in them

???