How the heck do I turn off automatic updates? Windows 10

Jesus h Christ, the above conversation is about to give me a stroke.

Quick question: is there any system.i can just give them money, it works for a very long.time and i own it forever?

I use notepad for website coding, photoshop for image editing and i like watching youtube. That just about sums up my computer use.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean. Could you explain it a bit?

yeah i was thinking the same thingā€¦all the geek talk is gonna scare away the elementary school level computer people like myself :slight_smile:

But honestly, even i installed linux lite with zero problems. Just downloaded it onto a usb and followed instructions i found on youtube on how to change the firing up order if you will on the puter to start with usb and voila, just follow simple instructions and i first test fired the linux , found that it works over several days and then booted out windows (very happily) and linux is ON . I can choose to close my lid and have it sleep and be awake in seconds or i can choose to close my lid and have it turn off and then a restart is still faster at 90 seconds then running windows which was taking longer than that. I had to choose to turn puter off because my cat will jump on the keyboard and turn the puter on and it stays on for a while before it goes to sleep.

It comes with software installed that replaces all the normal major microsoft office and can open any microsoft doc, spreadsheet,etc. Never need to pay for OFFICE again !

And it comes with firefox which works very well online. I believe Firefox was Netscape which was the original web browser for microsoft puters.

It also immediately found my printer and ran it within a minute including wirelessly. Only problem came when the epson printer had a new update which i should not have installed because then it would not SCAN wirelessly anymore where as it did before. So now the work around is to put a SD card into the printer slot the rare times i want to scan a doc and then scan onto the SD card and then put the same SD card into my puter to transfer the image.

Solved that problem.

I have decided to go Chromebook (which is linux) my next cheap puter.
Went to Best buy and walmart and it goes something like this.
Forgetting the ultra cheap 199 dollar ones which is like a GATEWAY (yes Gateway lives once again) and has a celeron processor. Most of the 200 to 250 dollar ones have a celeron processor (which is entry entry level intel and one i have been using for 9 years) . And a Solid State drive and 4 gig . So pretty usable But i want to avoid celeron so i may have to spend 300 to 350 to get the next level intel processor pentium or go with its competitor the AMD of the same or slightly better level.

To go Core3 would price the chromebook up to the 400 to 450 dollar level. These would be Asus or HP or Lenovo and seem well made with 14 or 15 inch screens and 3 USB ports including one that can be used to connect an external monitor.

I wont go 200 to 250 this time, probably do a 300 to 350. Saw a nice Lenovo at the 350 level that seems to have all i want including a sharp looking metal case. Hope its still around when im ready to go down there and actually buy it.

let me see if i can find it and post it here as an example.
This one seems like its as well made as my wifeys new cheapest Apple puter for 999 bucks. Which is pretty nice. On and it has backlit keyboard too, which is great.
Its really a competitor to the applebook (macbook) i think but 1/3 the price.

well that one was so nice it sold out. have to hunt for it again when it re appears.
just have to pay walmart and best buy another visit.
the websites show a lot of preowned, which im not interested in.
the good deals do sell out fast though.

1 Like

Yeah, you can also load them via wine in Reaperā€¦ havenā€™t tried it yet but I read itā€™s buggy.

With Microsoft Toolkitā€¦

you can renew your license forever. You can download the latest iso of Windows and Office with this toolā€¦

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

I get that probably not all VSTi are available in Linux, but there are well made VST alternatives in Linux and many free or non-free plugins as well.

http://linux-sound.org/linux-vst-plugins.html

1 Like

Hmmm IDK, I like the ones I like, and Iā€™d like to have my old projects with the original instruments. I also heard that the selection in Linux is meh.

Well anything that you end up using source. Source can be used as a poor manā€™s goto. For me readability with goto is simply sometimes better and not having goto is an insult to free choice of how you want to do things. Maybe for experts goto sucks, for others it doesnā€™t.

Itā€™s like saying we donā€™t allow word processors because LaTeX is just superior in any way. Or just use html instead of a presentation software. But no we donā€™t do this because the learning curve will just exclude many people from ever using LaTeX or better alternatives to PowerPoint and co.

Therefore for me bash not offering goto even though requested by loads of people (just not the developers) is snobismā€¦ because it would not be a technical problem to add it at all.

1 Like

Itā€™s not like bash is the only shell you can use in Linux. csh and the more popular tsch have goto statement.

Although, goto is no where to be found even in shells developed after the 90s, such as zsh, fish, or the python powered xonsh.

You can also complain why python doesnā€™t support goto, but most modern script languages just donā€™t do goto.

1 Like

When you guys talk, i feel like i am high.

thanks for everyones comments, i am trying hard to digest this info. I plan to switch one computer as i gave up on my new computer with windows 10 2 days ago. Paid to fix my older laptop with windows 7, which i previously hated cause its far worse than windows xp. Now i am blissfully doing my work on a computer that windows isnt spying on me and illegitmately downloading shit onto my computer without my ok. Or at least they dont tell me and everything works so i am blissfully ignorant. And frankly, it feels goodā€¦

So, with this new computer with windows 10, aka el Diablo. Can i just wipe it all and install linux. Or has microsoft penetrated the dna of my hard rive and it will forever be infected?

If you have backed up all the data you wish to save, wiping the drive and install linux should be ok.

There is one thing to watch out for if you are configuring your own partitions and mount points.

Microsoft has penetrated the PC ecology by forcing the EFI on motherboard manufacturers, which requires a signed key registered with Microsoft whenever you boot your OS.

If you have a newer computer, itā€™s likely you canā€™t turn on legacy mode in the default BIOS. This means you need to have a EFI partition on your boot drive. Most Linux distro comes with a key, and takes care of this in default installation, so if you just click next the whole way through, you donā€™t need to worry about this.

If you wish to configure your partitions, then you need to create that EFI partition.

I like to have separate / and /home partitions, so that when I eventually upgrade, data under /home wonā€™t be affected.

If you have both an SSD and hard disk storage, and you want to setup SSD cache, then it get a bit more fancy.

1 Like

im liking this one :slight_smile:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-s345-14ast-14-touch-screen-chromebook-amd-a6-series-4gb-memory-amd-radeon-r5-32gb-emmc-flash-memory-platinum-gray/6361115.p?skuId=6361115&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1260576&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_KaGkfHP7wIVTAytBh0deQvqEAQYAiABEgIJwfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.linuxliteos.com/

linux lite is working out well for me after near a year

Hasnā€™t this thread turned into a gigantic OT? Maybe there should be a Linux thread (or more if needed).

Donā€™t do it. Lenovo is owned by China.

1 Like

Haha. Whatever makes you happy.

Do understand that security patches pushed forcefully is a good thing. If windows has patched something why wouldnā€™t you install it ?

a lot of the computer stuff is made in china, a lot of it by taiwanese companies in china.
i used to have made in china phobia, now i dont

IMO now is the time to get that phobia back again.

1 Like

almost all my stuff is made in china.
ikea furnishings for the house (almost all china)
ralph lauren work clothes
tommy hilfiger clothesā€¦china
other designer clothesā€¦china
ecco shoesā€¦china
computer and peripheralsā€¦china
socksā€¦china
undiesā€¦china
frames for art in the house ā€¦china
hatā€¦china
tv ā€¦china
apple productsā€¦china

i am starting to see more made in vietnam and indonesia items though.

I try not to buy stuff made in China, although for now it is not always possible. However, thereā€™s a huge difference between stuff being made in China, and stuff made by Chinese owned companies. That difference is shrinking though. Hopefully the global market can transition manufacturing out of China before thereā€™s no difference at all.

2 Likes