How to Open A Buxiban

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping to open a buxiban.

My market research indicates success is guaranteed so no worries there.
And although I know you have to be Taiwanese to open a buxiban, I figure I got that covered too. Now that the main hurdles have been cleared, it’s time to get to the nitty gritty.

I called the MOE and asked them for their checklist on opening a buxiban and they sent it along. Problem is that it is all in Chinese. I sent the document to a translator but since it is 30 pages long, the fee was quite high.

Does anyone know if this document is publicly available in English?

Thanks!

1 Like

Well, with a name like taiwanexpert, I’d expect no less.

6 Likes

Not all bases are covered then!

1 Like

:thinking:

If you plan on running a business in Taiwan I would suggest you learn the native language. I used to run a very small business and can more or less speak/read chinese and it was still a bureaucratic shit show.

If you want to hire some dudes and be a hands off owner then I don’t see a problem, but if you really wanna know what’s going on and truly run your business, I’d learn chinese.

3 Likes

Fake it till you make it.

7 Likes

Best of luck, bro.

what document is it? a checklist shouldn’t be 30 pages unless it’s not a checklist, but rules and procedures.

I don’t know anything about running a cram school but I would imagine you’d rent a commercial property somewhere, or an office space. Then you register a business and get relevant licenses.

You really need a Taiwanese agent to do this for you if you have language difficulties.

Post the document. I’m curious to see what it says. We can help you translate it also.

1 Like

No you don’t, not in Taipei at least.

The national MOE? This should be a local affair.

This
I’ve never heard of a buxiban checklist before.

Post the checklist OP. I’ll translate it 4u.

MOE may be involved because it’s a school. I don’t know if that’s the case.

No, a buxiban is specifically not considered to be a “school”. More to the point, local BOE’s administrate them

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s not true, but even if it was, how does one get that covered? Unless you’re leaving out a longer part of the story.

Unless I’m mistaken, it is the MOE that issues work permits for BXB teachers. Maybe they were asked for a checklist and sent the rules for that.

They are ‘cram institutes’!

1 Like

Send the documents to a certified translator for further details. If you really want to open a business, be prepared to pay for the expenses. It is better you have a certified document explaining all the requirements in details than only having basic knowledge about the policies.

1 Like

They are buxiban. It’s a cultural concept that can’t be properly translated, like guanxi, yinyang, or meiyou.

In all seriousness, they are neither juridical persons nor entities with no capacity. They are business entities, but they are (according to the BLI) not “businesses” or “firms”. So you can see, it’s not completely straightforward.

Don’t hire a translator to do a whole 30 page document until you know what the document is. If it’s the Supplementary Education Act, it’s already available online in English. (Unless you’re hiring me! :money_mouth_face:)

Possibly of interest:

… that cram knowledge into your head on how to answer questions, not critically/creatively think about how to answer them!

Buxiban building codes can be very strict. Just to have an architect approve your space can cost 100,000 to 200,000 depending on the size. If you can find a buxiban that recently closed you might avoid that cost but you can be sure renovations will be required.

Can anyone break down the expenses of owning a Buxiban please?

Rent
Water/electricity
Staff: Foreign teachers, cleaner, local teachers, manager

What other expenses are there?

設班基金

It might depend on local government, but maybe you need 300k NTD in a bank account for the buxiban.

1 Like