How was your ride today?

Anyone got completely fooled by the forecast here in Taipei this morning? I was very surprised to see the roads all the way from Song Shan tp to WuZhiShan were dry.

4 Likes

Everything beyond Neihu/Xizhi was wet though. Or everything I made after that, because I gave back and returned to the dry concrete jungle.

At the risk of posting in the wrong forum - though it was a result of my ride this pas weekend - I was cycling (very slowly) along a bike path (in NYC) and an idiot trying to unclip his shoes swerved into me and we both went down into some mud/dirt (apart from a few scratches we were both physically ok). However, after cleaning my bike when I returned home (it was covered in dirt/mud), I noticed what I though was a scratch, however, it I tap around it it sounds different. I’ll check my LBS tomorrow but it looks like my seat column downtime has been cracked. Can anyone suggest places in Taiwan/Taipei that repair carbon damage? (I am thinking about bring the frame back wit me in a couple of weeks)

1 Like

Most shops in Taiwan will know a place that repairs carbon, but you can try here:

亞洲精工複材有限公司
0953 694 266

1 Like

Finally got a chance to ride from Xindian to Toucheng via Bei Yi up to Fulong and back via the 106. I’ve done the clockwise version, which is a biotch bc all the elevation gain is in the last 60km from Toucheng back to Helen’s Coffee in Shiding.

If you’re out on BeiYi from Helen’s Coffee down to Ping Lin early enough, you may get a glance of the fog covering the reservoir.

Otherwise, lots of fun, definitely worth taking a nice (not so sunny day) to attempt. Happy to give more details over on The Taipei Cycling Routes thread if you guys are curious about the checkpoints and feed stations.

8 Likes

I’m curious about the sub-sea-level part! Taiwan’s own Dead Sea.

I’d tell you, but I’d have to kill you.

1 Like

The joy of roadside repairs …:grin:

5 Likes

Convenient that Taiwan provides the roadside bike stand

1 Like

Could I be obtuse enough to request that you upload more photos of your rides, if you are at all happy to do so?

I enjoy them very much, y’all got a good eye :eye:

5 Likes

Not all of them are that exciting or picture worthy :laughing:, but I’ll see what I can do.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Bikepacking in Penghu

You’ll want to form echelons on the flat stages. Don’t do a Contador and get caught out.

I went on my first ride for ages after being off for months and then recovering from Covid last week. Just a short local loop on a long neglected member of my collection. The one furthest buried. Once I started riding I remembered why it was propped against the back wall…
Loose left crank from previous owner not tightening the crank bolt and rounding off the taper. Plus a grinding bottom bracket. No biggie. I did not go far nor hard. Plus it’s typical 32 degrees and 95 humidity. But I did take some photos.

1994 Lemond Alpe d’Huez About 2-3 cm too small for me, and a bit heavy. Mixed Campy set from the period plus Mavic XP-10 wheels. And San Marco Rolls

7 Likes

Glad to hear it!

Photos don’t appear to be working though, just shows processing and uploading

Is it my phone, or are ur pictures in eternal upload?

Got in a ride up to Maokong before the downpour. Summer heat was on full blast. The climb was a slog. Had to dismount like 5 times. In the winter, I could ride up with just 2 rest breaks. Lots of cyclists. Even saw a mom riding up with a toddler in a child seat. :notworthy:

289114628_1061489178085341_2436690876662313257_n

7 Likes

Someone at the top started singing “Holding out for a Hero” by Bonnie Tyler and she was on her way.

3 Likes

I’m waiting with bated breath here too…

Yeah, upload fail I guess. Too many at once? Too big?

One by one seems to work apart from random orientation. しょうがない

2 Likes