Huge accident on highway 1

Huge truck flipped over the highway divider. Was stuck in traffic almost an hour and it was still like this when I passed.

5 Likes

Was this near Kaohsiung?

Guy

Halfway between Kaohsiung and Tainan.

2 Likes

26 posts were split to a new topic: Is it legal to sell pics?

So not to change the subject, but did this appear in the news or not?

2 Likes

Forumosa isn’t the news? I’m doing this wrong.

1 Like

We are, sadly, the olds.

5 Likes

It made the news as I expected. Watch the video in the article. Harrowing stuff. I was probably 5 minutes behind that.

3 Likes

I checked, did not see it, only this hit and run in KHH (Hit a poor cat)
https://tw.appledaily.com/local/20211003/F3I6TC6SBFHJLIUS6X2RVEYD3M/

1 Like

Maybe because luckily no one died. I posted an English news article about it directly above your post though.

1 Like

Definitely written by a foreigner, it’s not National Highway 1, it’s National Freeway 1.

An easier way to confirm that is to look at the name right under the headline of the article.

"Sun Yat-sen Freeway

Freeway in Taiwan

National Freeway 1, also known as Sun Yat-sen Freeway"

Well it’s not free as in Freeway, so highway, motorway is a better term. In the States I see also the names tollway or turnpike.

Doesnt freeway mean morefree of obstruction, like ibtersections and traffic lights? Not so much as free of charge. Or have i had it wrong here the whole time?

1 Like

Americans call a high speed controlled access dual or quad carriage way road, a freeway.

Common Canadian parlance calls them highways. But (legally, everything is a highway according to the Highway Traffic Act in Ontario)

The British call them motorways.

The Australians call them roadies

That last one might be made up.

Granted i am from BC and w dont really have any, but i assumed we called everything highways because we dont even have highways. Perhaps out east. In bc tey all have lights and intersections. In fact, most even have various lare game crossing the roads haha. Quite distant from the raised freeways if taiwan.

I like the term rodies actually. But i agree, its probably made up (and far from logical). Like most of Australian English.

I would say Highway 1 from Chiliwack to Vancouver is a highway.

It is made up. I made it up. It’s a fake fact. lmao.

Taiwan Highway one (中山高速公路) is not free. Thus OP was correct with the title as highway 1 !! I also checked google translate 中山高速公路=Zhongshan Expressway. (not freeway)

Australia uses the term freeway, motorway , Expressway, in general Freeway is toll free, other name may have a fee.

Last I am happy with no more toll booths in Taiwan and now just a modern toll gantry, which in almost all ways is better (safer, faster, less payment avoidance, saves petro)

2 Likes

Have seen that definition as well. Seems both are common. Im good with your definiton, though it certainly doesnt seem definitive haha.