Hi everyone,
Is it possible to get an arc card if:
I’m not working in Taiwan
I’m not a student
I’m not married to a local nor have family here
I’m not an entrepreneur
I’m not here for religious purposes
Etc.

I’m a Canadian currently living in Taiwan. I have an apartment. (A good friend co-signed for me). I have a bank account here. But no arc card or anything other than tourist status.

I’m never here longer than my allowed 90 days as I work on ships in international waters and freely come and go. So what’s the problem you ask?

Well, I feel like I’m playing a game and there are some things that could be denied me such as buying a vehicle - even a scooter. And other things.

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions?

2 Likes

Nope. You’re not a local. You don’t have the right to be here.

The ARC must have a purpose.

5 Likes

Hi!

Unfortunately, based on what you’ve said, it doesn’t seem like you can get an ARC. Basically, you should ask yourself: Why would Taiwan give you resident status? How would Taiwan benefit from you being here long term? If you’re working, they get your skills and your taxes. If you’re married to a local, they are being kind to you and also getting positive PR. If you’re an entrepreneur… etc.

Get hitched to a local and enjoy shore leave. :clown_face: :clown_face:

4 Likes

If you can invest 200,000.00 USD, yes.
https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-166-278-9b20e-2.html

or if you have a phd from one of top 500 university,

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for your thoughtful response.

If you qualify, a Gold Card might be one option:

1 Like

You do not need an ARC to be able to buy a car or a scooter.

2 Likes

You could also open a rep office for a foreign company.

1 Like

Hey thanks. That’s intriguing.

He works on a ship as an employee. What company does he have now to setup a rep office?

It’s very easy to form a company in many places–usually just a matter of filling out a form and making a small payment.

1 Like

Thank you. That’s good to know.

Sure and when they ask for the company financial records? Proof of being in business?
So what will the rep office do? lol Who will it employ and pay a salary to?

https://gcis.nat.gov.tw/mainNew/English/subclassEnAction.do?method=getFile&pk=125

A rep office does not generate revenue and does not require capitalization. For the business activities a rep office is allowed to participate in (market research, purchasing, contract signing, etc.), there are many ways to demonstrate activity (reports addressed to the parent company, email communication with potential suppliers, evidence of signed contracts, etc.). The office can sponsor one ARC for a foreign representative and will pay them a salary–there is no requirement to hire additional employees.

Yes I know these things/ I own a business and am setting up a rep office in the EU.

But I have an active business not a shell company :wink: So I have active clients with signed contracts. But anyway if he can setup and use a fake rep office go for it. He can pay himself a salary and pay income tax on that for his 90 days a year stay.

Not just that, but this

1. The person has been or is currently employed in a public or private school, college, university, or educational organization in another country or in Taiwan and for at least five years has provided services as a teacher or researcher or provided educational administration services, with their most recent monthly salary being at least NTD 160,000 or equivalent.

This not with a phd. I wonder if I could get this? Public school, longer than five years, more than NT$ 160k per month.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but is that correct?

I believe so, from what you’ve written on here. Those points apply to you, right? How were you intending to stay here? This would seem a pretty easy solution.

If I’m reading the English translation correctly, then yes, I think it would work. And the part where I don’t need a job lined up is super cool.

Can I apply for this in Taiwan?

I believe so (I did, twice), but I think it’d be more standard and more convenient for your situation to do it from abroad.

I’d plan on it taking a couple of months (I don’t know the current target time), so if you apply several months ahead of when you intend to come you might lose a bit of validity but would be able to enter with an ARC.

After 3 years you’d then be able to apply for an APRC, if you still intend to retire here (though you’d need to sort something out for another few months to cover staying here while applying for the APRC).

1 Like