I need some dating advice

I still haven’t got past the part where you get on the HSR and travel to a different city, just to see this girl. There must be females in your town, no?

Your title says “I need some dating advice.” My advice is that this one is too much trouble, not appreciative.

1 Like

I know how it looks, but I’ve had trouble finding someone I connect with for a long time. I make the effort because I genuinely like her.

But if it’s going to be totally one way, I don’t think I can hack it. I’ll talk to her and tell her what I want. If things aren’t going to change, I’ll move on.

2 Likes

It’s not all one way… She does contribute in ways. And she can be very warm and nice to be with. Just have to find out if things are going to turn into a real (sexual) relationship.

I get the “negative style” feedback, and agree it’s pretty shit, but I could be okay with it as long as it’s not constant.

Something else to keep in mind…not all women in Taiwan have that “men pay for everything” mentality. Some of the posts above may have made it seem that way, but I haven’t found this to be the case at all.

3 Likes

she’s had a number of boyfriends in the past.

Nothing wrong with traveling to see someone really special. I’m not criticizing you. Just questioning if this one is worth it. Particularly because, from your description, you haven’t really committed to one another and you’re not getting what you need from her (and no, I’m not just talking about sex!)

1 Like

Let’s hope she’s not like this Taiwan girl.

https://vm.tiktok.com/Qb1un5/

When you bring up concerns is she responsive? That’s the main thing. Cultural/personal differences can be overcome if there’s respect involved. Do you talk it out well?

Also, be wary of the possibility you’re not the only one she’s dealing with. You’re from out of town, if she’s lukewarm it could be because you’re just an option of many and she’s keeping you around for the attention.

But if you bring stuff up and talk it out that’s a good sign…

3 Likes

This.

2 Likes

So if it’s not sexual it’s not real??? :thinking:

That’s the wrong mentality I think.

Plus you need to respect her if she does not want to do anything sexual with anyone for religious reasons. That’s her choice and if you can’t deal with it, move on.

I thought you met up regularly in her hometown. Or does “hook up” mean something different now?

In these gender-fluid days, it appears to be a PC expression for having sex. Ditto “Netflix and chill”.

As regards the OP’s problem: my experience is that first impressions are usually the correct ones. If it doesn’t feel right to begin with, it ain’t getting any better.

3 Likes

Red flag after red flag.

3 Likes

red

6 Likes

Yes! now I think you are thinking in the right direction. Talk to her and put up your points straight forward instead of wandering and keeping to yourself making a guess??

2 Likes

Who criticizes someone’s appearance if they are looking to form a relationship?

“You’re a bit overweight and beardy. Can you pay for my train ticket.”

10 Likes

Yeah but those super high class ones are sometimes very cold. You have to make special appointments, and they will “pencil you in” to their schedule. Sometimes nothing better than a working class girlfriend, you can go to the folks house, relax, watch TV and feel no pressure.
Anyway for me that was 20 years ago, I’ve been married for 20 years. :+1:

1 Like

You’ve been with her for a few months, which isn’t a long time, but it’s still a decent amount of time. I’m curious, why are you with her? What about her gives you enthusiasm and energy, and inspires and challenges you in a good way? On the one hand, you’ve said that you really like her a couple of times, but I never actually felt like you do from the tone and the words with which you use to describe her and your interactions.

"I think we have a genuine connection" What does this mean? Do you have similar beliefs and values? Similar interests? Similar senses of humor? Mutually shared goals?

"I feel like she doesn’t really appreciate all I do for her"
"I feel like I’m just expected to treat her like a princess all the time"
"I rarely hear words of praise or positivity out of her mouth"
"Says negative things more than she says positive things" Remember this for when you choose a partner for a long-term relationship or marriage: Choose a positive and optimistic person. You’re welcome in advance for saving your life :grinning: It also sounds like words of affirmation is a strong love language of yours and giving gifts isn’t. Keep that in mind for now and the future.

"Her personality just seems so ambivalent"
"Comes off caring and gentle enough"
"she can be very warm and nice to be with" What’s with all the “seems so”, “comes off”, “can be”? Either she is or she isn’t. I sense a massive lack of communication, or either you or her or both of you lack some communication/social skills.

"Just have to find out if things are going to turn into a real (sexual) relationship" What exactly have you guys done? Nothing? Maybe you guys aren’t even dating :open_mouth:

6 Likes

Find your self-esteem and look for another woman, otherwise you’ll be back here asking us for divorce and child custody advice. RUN away from this woman.

5 Likes

We kiss and hold hands and all that, certainly feels like a partnership situation.
Were definitely going on dates, that much is clear.
We’ve had a lot of good conversations, laugh a lot together, enjoy each other’s company. She told me she wants something serious. But her demeanor/actions dont appear to agree with that. Maybe I’m overthinking.
I’m going to see how it goes during the next few days, find out if she’ll actually come to see me, and go from there.
Thanks for all the advice.

2 Likes