I went to McDonald's and I'm a bit traumatized

Only three hours? They must be really busy if they’re only eating for three hours.

2 Likes

Get a panini for God’s sake!

I would never say anything bad about McDonalds or any of my many other good old American favorites, but when in Italy just get a couple of panini with 5 times extra meat and you’ll have a great quick meal.

I now have more refined taste do the quality of bread, meat, and cheese. Not all paninis are good. Some are pretty often terrible. You need to find a good place that has the bread, meat and cheese to make a quality panino.

The portions are totally not bigger in Europe. They are the same size and much more expensive (though relative to minimum wage it’s about the same; in Western Europe anyway like Germany or France etc.). Even in poor countries they are more expensive than in Taiwan, such as Turkey. I ate at a McD at the airport there and a breakfast meal was like 100 NT and they didn’t even have hash browns.

Good. SS is garbage. £6 for a burger even smaller than McD’s burger is :banana: appalling. If I wanted pay that for a burger I’d rather go to Nando’s.

Are yo admitting to trying McDonalds all over Europe.

Watch out for gain Gain. :joy:

1 Like

It’s true. McDonald’s is pretty expensive in Europe. All fast food is.

I’ve tried it in a couple of countries, not all. But the price menu is available on internet. For example, in Hungary a big mac is like 100 NT (in Taiwan it’s like 70 or something) and their minimum wage is a lot lower which is just awful.

In France it’s also expensive as shit. A meal deal is like €9 which is totally wtf. In Britain it’s quite a bit cheaper (no wonder ppl are fat). In Switzerland and Norway it’s like 20 which sounds totally crazy but at least their salary is a lot higher.

I do try Starbucks wherever I go though.

I’m only kidding with ya but it was funny. The people who claim it’s better in certain countries in Europe, it might be the food quality, veg, could be anything .

Well, yeah.

And I really don’t get how it could be more expensive in certain poorer countries than in Taiwan. It makes so little sense.

Some would argue the huge difference in quality is what you’re paying for. There’s no comparison between the burgers at SS and McDonalds.

I also am sure the SS burgers aren’t that expensive, at least in the US.

1 Like

1st
If you studied Chinese using Shida’s books, you’ve read that b4 McDonald’s came to Taiwan, merchants never smiled at customers. Taiwanese learned this from McDonald’s. For Taiwanese, it was the first lesson in thinking of what someone else wants (e.g. customer), not just thinking of what oneself wants. Most of us who have shopped in the hinterlands of Taiwan have encountered the selling style before Americans taught Taiwanese to smile went like this: scowl, “What do you want?” and if you don’t buy a lot a worse scowl and “Such a small purchase!”. McDonald’s was and remains the 1st place many Chinese (frogs in a well not matter where on Earth they are) learn about the nonChinese world. Washing your hands before you work in a restaurant, food on a tray, how to attract children, handicapped seating, a restaurant where the customer seating area is cleaned every hour on the hour. Smiling is just one example of many.
2nd
McDonald’s is clean. Eating in Taiwan my first year I got sick many times. Taiwanese cooks can be seen using the restroom and not washing their hands. One Chinese person said I got sick because “I do not have Chinese stomach”. The next time I went to the pharmacy looking for medicine, the rack was cleaned out. Hilarious. Where I live is 99.9999% Chinese. Apparently, Chinese don’t have Chinese stomach, either. After I ended up in the hospital, I resolved to eat at KFC and McDonald every day. I never got sick from eating KFC and McDonalds.
3rd
In the West, everyone has a 1st place (home) and a 2nd place (work or school) and 3rd place (Starbucks, whatever). Before McDonald’s Taiwese 3rd place was squatting on the sidewalk (if there is one) in the heat. McDonald’s offered a 3rd place with A/C.

1 Like

I’d like to try this one.

https://youtu.be/7BlT28Tl_VI

2 Likes

You wouldn’t get sick, but did you get obese?

I’d like to try that one too; but what’s this got to do with mcdonalds?

On second thoughts, I watched the video and heard her voice and I am not so interested anymore

2 Likes

They switched because of health concerns. High cholesterol was a big concern in the 90s

1 Like

Hk’s McDonald’s menu is full of burgers galore stacked up to 4/5 inches in height.

They even have chef designed burger recommendations with fish, eggs, veggies, beef, pork, sauces and you name it in the whole pile. Spoiled and spooked for choice!

I ate at the one McDonald’s in Liechtenstein when I was there in 2016. I loved the unique burgers and desserts they had at that store, but got sticker shock when I paid almost US$20 for a combo meal and dessert. Well, I did order the most expensive burger and fries option (awesome criss-cut seasoned fries!), and everything seemed to be expensive in Liechtenstein, but damn.

And they probably make you pay another euro to use the toilet too

1 Like