I went to McDonald's and I'm a bit traumatized

Hk’s McDonald’s has all the creative fries options including flavours and shapes on the planet.

With such a fantastic McDonald’s offering where you live, why on earth would you move to Kaohsiung?

2 Likes

What are the chances of one of those fancy gourmet McDonald’s opening in Taiwan?

Considering they are already cutting down their menu, probably slim chance.

I’ll take a Big Mac or Quarter Pounder any day over the “fancy item” menus. Nothing worse than a budget chain trying to make “fancy” food that is way beyond their means. I tried the angus beef burger at McD’s here and it was gross; bloody beef juice just everywhere and the meat tasted slimy and almost runny. Sure, the Big Mac beef patties are as dry as a granny’s panties, but that’s what I expect when I’m at McDonalds. I don’t need any frills, because they can’t do the frills right in the first place.

Had McD’s over the weekend. Not a big fan of the new paper straws but if it’s saving the environment I can live with it. Tried the Angus Mushroom Burger, not bad.

1 Like

McDonald’s it is the quintessential Americana fast food. Convenient, fast, consistent. In its simplest form it is peasant food for the masses. McD’s feeds 1% of the world population everyday.

McDonald’s it is what it is.

This should be their new slogan.

6 Likes

For people with food allergies, that’s what matters. They keep the fish separate from the other items, even separate fryers.
Other places unless they’re strictly vegetarian don’t care and sometimes lie.
With McDonald’s I can get halfway decent food that won’t send me to the hospital.

1 Like

What specifies a ‘gourmet burger’? The Price?

Macdonalds taught taiwanese manners and customer service? Did the japanese teach taiwanese nothing then? Even before they came taiwan was apparently ahead of the mainland. I was not here before taiwan had macdonalds so i can’t say but I’m not entirely buying that story.

1 Like

I must bring this up since no one has mentioned it. Why does McDonalds in Taiwan bother to stay open 24 hours, and yet half their menu items are unavailable? No burgers past midnight (I assume because they don’t want to fire up the grill), and past 10:00pm forget about getting a salad or really anything that isn’t deep fried. This has been my experience in Taoyuan at least; is it the same in other parts of Taiwan?

2 Likes

In the names of democracy and freedom…

I love that this thread has been tagged with “horrible”

2 Likes

No. The larger point is that McDonald’s changed Chinese culture. This is stated in the Shida books. The obvious thing --smiling at the customer --had never occurred to Chinese in the 5000 years of Chinese Culture (which Chinese keep telling us is superior to Western Culture. When I ask Chinese students if America has culture the say “No, none”.) Chinese hadn’t figured out that food preparers should wash their hands before cooking, to have handicapped seating for the old or infirm, to have a clean bathroom, to say thank you at the end of the order.

Yeah, this annoys me too.

What the hell do they sell past midnight if there’s no burgers? Just fries and soft-serve?

Late night menu should be:
Quarter pounder with cheese and Big Mac
Chicken Nugs
French Fries and sides and apple pie
Breakfast
Happy meal
Soft Serve
All beverages

Chicken burgers.

There are exceptions. The McDonalds across the street from MacKay hospital in Hsinchu was one of the dirtiest fast food restaurants I have ever been in.

Ugh.