Ideas for a 'foreign' staycation and/or adventure in Taiwan?

I think the temperature is actually perfect (around 35 C to 40 C). It’s just when you mix the intense humidity with the insane pollution that the heat seems to be unbearable. But if you’re out in nature and there’s a cool breeze, it’s absolutely wonderful. And the evenings in Taipei City, after the sun goes down, are amazing with or without a breeze. I’d say that the evenings alone make the unbearable daytimes worth it. God, I miss it so much…

2 Likes

I’m not worried about cycling in the summer.
Start off in early hours. Quit before 11am or so, and then continue in late afternoon or hang out at some hot springs (on east coast).
In Kaohsiung, I sometimes ride midday during summers and am fine for 2 hours. Face and neck fully covered.

In fact, missus and I thinking of doing round-Taiwan this summer. I’d cycle along with the eldest, and she’d scooter with the youngest.

2 Likes

Everyone living up north is talking about hidden beaches and hiking trails and road trips, and I’m just looking forward to spending a few days in Taipei where I can shop in huge department stores and then space out in an air-conditioned hotel.
Grass is always greener, I guess…

7 Likes

A summer of sitting on a surf beach in Taitung sounds pretty f–kin nice after several months of house arrest here.

1 Like

:confused:

What if you’re doing your job… one that’s kind of shit and doesn’t pay well… and some drunk, privileged idiot makes everything harder for you like this guy did for her? He doesn’t deserve to get his life ruined on social media (two wrongs don’t make a right), but he is an asshole and it is one more ‘foreigner behaving badly’ story that makes things tougher for every other expat. Again.

This might help

The preliminary economic plan is to allow anyone, regardless of age or income level, to pay NT$1,000 to obtain NT$3,000-worth of vouchers to shop at stores, buy train tickets and pay for taxi fares, National Development Council (NDC) Minister Kung Ming-hsin (龔明鑫) said in a recent interview.

I’m curious if “the public” and “anyone” will include those without Taiwan ID numbers.

2 Likes

Don’t think so

That would be a “cosmic” staycation.

As someone who’s familiarity with the Gogoros starts and ends at “did… did a UFO just pass my apartment?”, I’m now a little curious.

Why, good sir/ madam, must people get one?

1 Like

They’re just really fun. And I salivate over the idea of a Taiwan with a fully electric scooter fleet. Every person who buys a Gogoro brings us closer to that distant day…

5 Likes

When you are tofu white, nope.

Hot wind, hot sand, hot sun, heck even hot water. Nope nope.

2 Likes

I am in Taipei and I am also looking forward to shopping in huge department stores and then spacing out in an air-conditioned coffee shop.

As soon as the plague is over.

1 Like

Still have to retreat approaching noon and stay out of sun in afternoon till at least 3:00

2 Likes

In Taiwan it pretty much is…

3 Likes

Never even was…

2 Likes

It looked hairy there a couple times. There’s still the mystery of where and how that navy outbreak started. But regardless, things seem fine now.

3 Likes

Yep, several close calls, quite many malicious escapees from quarantine, random cases. We are most lucky that community transmission did not run amok.

2 Likes

Nothing to do with luck. Strict quarantine and contact tracing, high mask usage. A lot of evidence says air to air transmission is by far the bigger problem. Western countries and WHO only said to wash hands.

3 Likes

Idk, we had a few untraced infections, the KTV hostess, and the sailors. I think there’s a bit luck involved with those not turning into bigger outbreaks.
But I do agree with you - even if we had had another few clusters, I think we’d still be in a similar place right now. 3 cheers for CECC!

2 Likes

Then we are lucky so many people remembered the lessons of SARS and those who did not go through it listened to good advice and complied with such measures as wearing a mask.

1 Like